Methods to optimise the design and management of biomass-for-bioenergy supply chains: A review
Biomass supply chain optimisation is essential to overcome barriers and uncertainties that may inhibit the development of a sustainable and competitive bioenergy market. The number of research papers presenting optimisation models in the field of bioenergy systems rises exponentially. This paper gives an overview of the optimisation methods and models focussing on decisions regarding the design and management of the upstream segment of the biomass-for-bioenergy supply chain. After a general description of the supply chain and the decisions coming along with the design and management, all selected publications are classified and discussed according to (1) the mathematical optimisation methodology used, (2) the decision level and decision variables addressed and (3) the objective to be optimised.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 31 (2014)
Issue (Month): C ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/600126/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/600126/bibliographic|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- P Flisberg & M Frisk & M Rönnqvist, 2012. "FuelOpt: a decision support system for forest fuel logistics," Journal of the Operational Research Society, Palgrave Macmillan;The OR Society, vol. 63(11), pages 1600-1612, November.
- Frombo, Francesco & Minciardi, Riccardo & Robba, Michela & Sacile, Roberto, 2009. "A decision support system for planning biomass-based energy production," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 362-369.
- Gunnarsson, Helene & Ronnqvist, Mikael & Lundgren, Jan T., 2004. "Supply chain modelling of forest fuel," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 158(1), pages 103-123, October.
- Wee, Hui-Ming & Yang, Wen-Hsiung & Chou, Chao-Wu & Padilan, Marivic V., 2012. "Renewable energy supply chains, performance, application barriers, and strategies for further development," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 16(8), pages 5451-5465.
- Čuček, Lidija & Varbanov, Petar Sabev & Klemeš, Jiří Jaromír & Kravanja, Zdravko, 2012. "Total footprints-based multi-criteria optimisation of regional biomass energy supply chains," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 44(1), pages 135-145.
- Pezzini, Paola & Gomis-Bellmunt, Oriol & Sudrià-Andreu, Antoni, 2011. "Optimization techniques to improve energy efficiency in power systems," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 15(4), pages 2028-2041, May.
- van Dyken, Silke & Bakken, Bjorn H. & Skjelbred, Hans I., 2010. "Linear mixed-integer models for biomass supply chains with transport, storage and processing," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 35(3), pages 1338-1350.
- Chen, Chien-Wei & Fan, Yueyue, 2012. "Bioethanol supply chain system planning under supply and demand uncertainties," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 48(1), pages 150-164.
- Baños, R. & Manzano-Agugliaro, F. & Montoya, F.G. & Gil, C. & Alcayde, A. & Gómez, J., 2011. "Optimization methods applied to renewable and sustainable energy: A review," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 15(4), pages 1753-1766, May.
- Tursun, Umit Deniz & Kang, Seungmo & Onal, Hayri & Ouyang, Yanfeng & Scheffran, Jurgen, 2008. "Optimal Biorefinery Locations and Transportation Network for the Future Biofuels Industry in Illinois," Environmental and Rural Development Impacts Conference, October 15-16, 2008, St. Louis, Missouri 53502, Farm Foundation, Transition to a Bio Economy Conferences.
- Perpiñá, C. & Alfonso, D. & Pérez-Navarro, A. & Peñalvo, E. & Vargas, C. & Cárdenas, R., 2009. "Methodology based on Geographic Information Systems for biomass logistics and transport optimisation," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 555-565.
- Huang, Yongxi & Chen, Chien-Wei & Fan, Yueyue, 2010. "Multistage optimization of the supply chains of biofuels," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 46(6), pages 820-830, November.
- Bai, Yun & Hwang, Taesung & Kang, Seungmo & Ouyang, Yanfeng, 2011. "Biofuel refinery location and supply chain planning under traffic congestion," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 45(1), pages 162-175, January.
- Rentizelas, Athanasios A. & Tolis, Athanasios J. & Tatsiopoulos, Ilias P., 2009. "Logistics issues of biomass: The storage problem and the multi-biomass supply chain," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 887-894, May.
- Walther, Grit & Schatka, Anne & Spengler, Thomas S., 2012. "Design of regional production networks for second generation synthetic bio-fuel – A case study in Northern Germany," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 218(1), pages 280-292.
- Rentizelas, Athanasios A. & Tatsiopoulos, Ilias P., 2010. "Locating a bioenergy facility using a hybrid optimization method," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 123(1), pages 196-209, January.
- Sadegheih, A., 2011. "Optimal design methodologies under the carbon emission trading program using MIP, GA, SA, and TS," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 504-513, January.
- Bakken, Bjorn H. & Skjelbred, Hans I. & Wolfgang, Ove, 2007. "eTransport: Investment planning in energy supply systems with multiple energy carriers," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 32(9), pages 1676-1689.
- Leduc, S. & Starfelt, F. & Dotzauer, E. & Kindermann, G. & McCallum, I. & Obersteiner, M. & Lundgren, J., 2010. "Optimal location of lignocellulosic ethanol refineries with polygeneration in Sweden," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 35(6), pages 2709-2716.
- Awudu, Iddrisu & Zhang, Jun, 2012. "Uncertainties and sustainability concepts in biofuel supply chain management: A review," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 1359-1368.
- S. Narayan, 2009. "India," Chapters, in: The Political Economy of Trade Reform in Emerging Markets, chapter 7 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Wang, Jiang-Jiang & Jing, You-Yin & Zhang, Chun-Fa & Zhao, Jun-Hong, 2009. "Review on multi-criteria decision analysis aid in sustainable energy decision-making," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 13(9), pages 2263-2278, December.
- Leduc, Sylvain & Natarajan, Karthikeyan & Dotzauer, Erik & McCallum, Ian & Obersteiner, Michael, 2009. "Optimizing biodiesel production in India," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 86(Supplemen), pages S125-S131, November.
- Tembo, Gelson & Epplin, Francis M. & Huhnke, Raymond L., 2003. "Integrative Investment Appraisal of a Lignocellulosic Biomass-to-Ethanol Industry," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 28(03), December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:rensus:v:31:y:2014:i:c:p:657-670. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.