Environmental impact of alternative fuel mix in electricity generation in Malaysia
The Fuel Diversification Strategy was incorporated into the Malaysian National Energy Policy in order to achieve a more balanced consumption of fuel, namely gas, hydro, coal and petroleum. The objective of this paper is to evaluate changes in CO2, SO2 and NOx emission due to changes in the fuel mix specified in the Fuel Diversification Strategy. Using the environmental extended Leontief's input–output framework it was found that the fuel mix as envisioned by the Fuel Diversification Strategy generates higher CO2, SO2 and NOx emissions. As such, to ensure a sustainable energy policy, the proposed fuel mix must be accompanied by efficiency gain so that the negative impact on the environment could be mitigated.
Volume (Year): 33 (2008)
Issue (Month): 10 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.journals.elsevier.com/renewable-energy|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Proops, John LR & Gay, Philip W & Speck, Stefan & Schroder, Thomas, 1996. "The lifetime pollution implications of various types of electricity generation. An input-output analysis," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 229-237, March.
- Wall, Göran & Sciubba, Enrico & Naso, Vincenzo, 1994. "Exergy use in the Italian society," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 19(12), pages 1267-1274.
- Chen, B. & Chen, G.Q., 2006. "Exergy analysis for resource conversion of the Chinese Society 1993 under the material product system," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 31(8), pages 1115-1150.
- Saidur, R. & Sattar, M.A. & Masjuki, H.H. & Abdessalam, H. & Shahruan, B.S., 2007. "Energy and exergy analysis at the utility and commercial sectors of Malaysia," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(3), pages 1956-1966, March.
- Han, Sang-Yong & Yoo, Seung-Hoon & Kwak, Seung-Jun, 2004. "The role of the four electric power sectors in the Korean national economy: an input-output analysis," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 32(13), pages 1531-1543, September.
- Ílerı́, Arı́f & Gürer, Türker, 1998. "Energy and exergy utilization in Turkey during 1995," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 23(12), pages 1099-1106.
- Leontief, Wassily, 1970. "Environmental Repercussions and the Economic Structure: An Input-Output Approach," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 52(3), pages 262-271, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:renene:v:33:y:2008:i:10:p:2229-2235. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.