Energy, exergy and economic analysis of industrial boilers
In this paper, the useful concept of energy and exergy utilization is analyzed, and applied to the boiler system. Energy and exergy flows in a boiler have been shown in this paper. The energy and exergy efficiencies have been determined as well. In a boiler, the energy and exergy efficiencies are found to be 72.46% and 24.89%, respectively. A boiler energy and exergy efficiencies are compared with others work as well. It has been found that the combustion chamber is the major contributor for exergy destruction followed by heat exchanger of a boiler system. Furthermore, several energy saving measures such as use of variable speed drive in boiler's fan energy savings and heat recovery from flue gas are applied in reducing a boiler energy use. It has been found that the payback period is about 1Â yr for heat recovery from a boiler flue gas. The payback period for using VSD with 19Â kW motor found to be economically viable for energy savings in a boiler fan.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dincer, I. & Hussain, M. M. & Al-Zaharnah, I., 2004. "Energy and exergy use in public and private sector of Saudi Arabia," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 32(14), pages 1615-1624, September.
- Kanoglu, Mehmet & Dincer, Ibrahim & Rosen, Marc A., 2007. "Understanding energy and exergy efficiencies for improved energy management in power plants," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(7), pages 3967-3978, July.
- Saidur, R. & Masjuki, H.H. & Jamaluddin, M.Y., 2007. "An application of energy and exergy analysis in residential sector of Malaysia," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 1050-1063, February.
- Wall, Göran & Sciubba, Enrico & Naso, Vincenzo, 1994. "Exergy use in the Italian society," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 19(12), pages 1267-1274.
- Oladiran, M.T. & Meyer, J.P., 2007. "Energy and exergy analyses of energy consumptions in the industrial sector in South Africa," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 84(10), pages 1056-1067, October.
- Utlu, Zafer & Hepbasli, Arif, 2007. "A review and assessment of the energy utilization efficiency in the Turkish industrial sector using energy and exergy analysis method," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 11(7), pages 1438-1459, September.
- Yeh, Sonia & Rubin, Edward S., 2007. "A centurial history of technological change and learning curves for pulverized coal-fired utility boilers," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 32(10), pages 1996-2005.
- Saidur, R. & Sattar, M.A. & Masjuki, H.H. & Abdessalam, H. & Shahruan, B.S., 2007. "Energy and exergy analysis at the utility and commercial sectors of Malaysia," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(3), pages 1956-1966, March.
- Saidur, R. & Rahim, N.A. & Ping, H.W. & Jahirul, M.I. & Mekhilef, S. & Masjuki, H.H., 2009. "Energy and emission analysis for industrial motors in Malaysia," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(9), pages 3650-3658, September.
- Özdoĝan, Si̇bel & Arikol, Mahi̇r, 1995. "Energy and exergy analyses of selected Turkish industries," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 73-80.
- Rosen, M.A., 1992. "Evaluation of energy utilization efficiency in Canada using energy and exergy analyses," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 17(4), pages 339-350.
- Dincer, Ibrahim, 2002. "The role of exergy in energy policy making," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 137-149, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:enepol:v:38:y:2010:i:5:p:2188-2197. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.