Exploring the economic rationale of extremes in GARCH generated betas The case of U.S. banks
No abstract is available for this item.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- McClain, Katherine T. & Humphreys, H. Brett & Boscan, Atahualpa, 1996. "Measuring risk in the mining sector with ARCH models with important observations on sample size," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 369-391, December.
- Bos, T & Newbold, P, 1984. "An Empirical Investigation of the Possibility of Stochastic Systematic Risk in the Market Model," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 57(1), pages 35-41, January.
- Fabozzi, Frank J. & Francis, Jack Clark, 1978. "Beta as a Random Coefficient," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 13(01), pages 101-116, March.
- Joseph Cheng, 1997. "A switching regression approach to the stationarity of systematic and non-systematic risks: the Hong Kong experience," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 7(1), pages 45-57.
- Koutmos, Gregory & Lee, Unro & Theodossiu, Panayiotis, 1994. "Time-varying betas and volatility persistence in International Stock markets," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 46(2), pages 101-112, May.
- K. Giannopoulos, 1995. "Estimating the time Varying Components of international stock markets' risk," The European Journal of Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 1(2), pages 129-164.
- Cecchetti, Stephen G & Cumby, Robert E & Figlewski, Stephen, 1988.
"Estimation of the Optimal Futures Hedge,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 70(4), pages 623-30, November.
- R.W. Faff & R.D. Brooks, 1998. "Time-varying Beta Risk for Australian Industry Portfolios: An Exploratory Analysis," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 25(5&6), pages 721-745.
- Kroner, Kenneth F. & Sultan, Jahangir, 1993. "Time-Varying Distributions and Dynamic Hedging with Foreign Currency Futures," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 28(04), pages 535-551, December.
- Engle, Robert F, 1982. "Autoregressive Conditional Heteroscedasticity with Estimates of the Variance of United Kingdom Inflation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 987-1007, July.
- Sam Peltzman, 1976.
"Toward a More General Theory of Regulation,"
NBER Working Papers
0133, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Baillie, Richard T & Myers, Robert J, 1991. "Bivariate GARCH Estimation of the Optimal Commodity Futures Hedge," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 6(2), pages 109-24, April-Jun.
- Madura, Jeff & Tucker, Alan L. & Zarruk, Emilio R., 1993. "Market reaction to the thrift bailout," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 17(4), pages 591-608, June.
- Liang, Youguo & Mohanty, Sunil & Song, Frank, 1996. "The Effect of the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation Improvement Act of 1991 on Bank Stocks," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 19(2), pages 229-42, Summer.
- Brooks, R.D. & Faff, R.W. & Lee, J.H.H., 1994.
"Beta Stability and Portfolio Formation,"
94-3, Melbourne - Centre in Finance.
- Brooks, Robert D. & Faff, Robert W. & Lee, John H. H., 1994. "Beta stability and portfolio formation," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 2(4), pages 463-479, December.
- Brooks, Robert D. & Faff, Robert W. & Lee, John H. H., 1995. "Beta stability and portfolio formation," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 3(1), pages 145-146, May.
- Bundt, Thomas P. & Cosimano, Thomas F. & Halloran, John A., 1992. "DIDMCA and bank market risk: Theory and evidence," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 16(6), pages 1179-1193, December.
- Millon-Cornett, Marcia H. & Tehranian, Hassan, 1989. "Stock market reactions to the depository institutions deregulation and monetary control act of 1980," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 81-100, March.
- Shiers, Alden F., 1994. "Deposit insurance and banking system risk: Some empirical evidence," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(4), pages 347-361.
- Abell, John D. & Krueger, Thomas M., 1989. "Macroeconomic influences on beta," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 41(2), pages 185-193, May.
- Aharony, Joseph & Saunders, Anthony & Swary, Itzhak, 1988. "The effects of DIDMCA on bank stockholders' returns and risk," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 12(3), pages 317-331, September.
- Duane B. Graddy & Reuben Kyle & Thomas H. Strickland, 1994. "The Differential Effects Of Deregulation On Savings And Loan Associations And Banks," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 17(2), pages 289-300, 06.
- Blume, Marshall E, 1971. "On the Assessment of Risk," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 26(1), pages 1-10, March.
- Engle, Robert F. & Kroner, Kenneth F., 1995. "Multivariate Simultaneous Generalized ARCH," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 11(01), pages 122-150, February.
- Alexander, John Jr. & Spivey, Michael F., 1994. "CEBA of 1987 and the security returns and market risk of savings and loan institutions: a note," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(6), pages 1205-1215, December.
- Pagan, Adrian, 1996. "The econometrics of financial markets," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 3(1), pages 15-102, May.
- Caporale, Tony & Doroodian, Khosrow, 1994. "Exchange rate variability and the flow of international trade," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 46(1), pages 49-54, September.
- Brooks, Robert D, et al, 2000. " U.S. Banking Sector Risk in an Era of Regulatory Change: A Bivariate GARCH Approach," Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting, Springer, vol. 14(1), pages 17-43, January.
- Peter S. Sephton, 1993. "Optimal Hedge Ratios at the Winnipeg Commodity Exchange," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 26(1), pages 175-93, February.
- Collins, Daniel W & Ledolter, Johannes & Rayburn, Judy Dawson, 1987. "Some Further Evidence on the Stochastic Properties of Systematic Risk," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 60(3), pages 425-48, July.
- Braun, Phillip A & Nelson, Daniel B & Sunier, Alain M, 1995. " Good News, Bad News, Volatility, and Betas," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 50(5), pages 1575-1603, December.
- Fraser, Donald R & Kolari, James W, 1990. "The 1982 Depository Institutions Act and Security Returns in the Savings and Loan Industry," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 13(4), pages 339-47, Winter.
- Blume, Marshall E, 1975. "Betas and Their Regression Tendencies," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 30(3), pages 785-95, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:quaeco:v:40:y:2000:i:1:p:85-106. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.