Privatisation and market structure in a transition economy
A model is developed in which an industry of N > I firms is privatized. The 'participation' method of privatization is used, whereby firms are sold for cash, but the state retains a proportionate share of ownership. In each firm the new private owner has the opportunity to make a reorganisational investment, before output Is produced. The investment is unobservable by the state, and therefore noncontractible. Thae Is Cournot competition In the product market. The welfare-maximizing retained ownership share for the state is analyzed; taking into account that potential buyers of firms may have limited access to finance.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Vickers, John, 1985. "Delegation and the Theory of the Firm," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 95(380a), pages 138-147, Supplemen.
- Susan J. Linz & Gary Krueger, 1998.
"Enterprise Restructuring in Russia's Transition Economy: Formal and Informal Mechanisms,"
William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series
152, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Susan J Linz & Gary Krueger, 1998. "Enterprise Restructuring in Russia's Transition Economy: Formal and Informal Mechanisms," Comparative Economic Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Association for Comparative Economic Studies, vol. 40(2), pages 5-52, July.
- Grosfeld, Irena & Roland, Gérard, 1995.
"Defensive and Strategic Restructuring in Central European Enterprises,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1135, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Grosfeld, I. & Roland, G., 1995. "Defensive and Strategic Restructuring in Central European Enterprises," DELTA Working Papers 95-18, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Hans-Werner Sinn & Alfons J. Weichenrieder, 1997. "Foreign direct investment, political resentment and the privatization process in eastern Europe," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 12(24), pages 177-210, 04.
- Greg Shaffer & Stephen W. Salant, 1999. "Unequal Treatment of Identical Agents in Cournot Equilibrium," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 89(3), pages 585-604, June.
- Demougin, Dominique & Sinn, Hans-Werner, 1994.
"Privatization, risk-taking, and the communist firm,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 55(2), pages 203-231, October.
- Dominique Demougin & Hans-Werner Sinn, 1992. "Privatization, Risk-Taking, and the Communist Firm," NBER Working Papers 4205, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Dominique Demougin & Hans-Werner Sinn, 1992. "Privatization, Risk-Taking and the Communist Firm," Cahiers de recherche du Département des sciences économiques, UQAM 9216, Université du Québec à Montréal, Département des sciences économiques.
- Demougin, Dominique & Sinn, Hans-Werner, 1993. "Privatization, Risk-Taking, and the Communist Firm," CEPR Discussion Papers 743, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Demougin, Dominique & Sinn, Hans-Werner, 1994. "Privatization, risk-taking, and the communist firm," Munich Reprints in Economics 20039, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Chaim Fershtman & Kenneth L Judd, 1984.
"Equilibrium Incentives in Oligopoly,"
642, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Mathias Dewatripont & Gérard Roland, 1996.
"Transition as a process of large-scale institutional change,"
The Economics of Transition,
The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 4(1), pages 1-30, 05.
- Mathias Dewatripont & Gérard Roland, 1997. "Transition as a process of large-scale institutional change," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/9659, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Blanchard, Olivier Jean, 1994. "Transition in Poland," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 104(426), pages 1169-1177, September.
- Marc Duponcel, 1998. "Restructuring of food industries in the five Central and Eastern European front-runners towards EU membership (CEEC-5). A comparative review," CERT Discussion Papers 9806, Centre for Economic Reform and Transformation, Heriot Watt University.
- Estrin, Saul & Hare, Paul G, 1999.
"Output and Exports in Transition Economies: A Labour Management Model,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2080, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Bennett, John & Estrin, Saul & Hare, Paul, 1999. "Output and Exports in Transition Economies: A Labor Management Model," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 295-317, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:pubeco:v:77:y:2000:i:3:p:357-382. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.