Output and Exports in Transition Economies: A Labor Management Model
The behaviour of an oligopolistic industry in a transition economy is analysed, assuming that the firms are labour-managed and the economy is open to international trade. The output of these firms is assumed to be of lower quality than the output of Western firms. Cournot equilibrium in the presence of bottlenecks is derived. Such bottlenecks may be particularly damaging because firms respond by cutting exports disproportionately. This may explain why countries, such as those in the former Soviet Union, which have faced serious supply bottlenecks have failed to develop exports while the economies of Central Europe, where materials are more freely available, have seen rapid export growth.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Katz, Eliakim & Berrebi, Z. M., 1980. "On the price discriminating labour cooperative," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 6(2), pages 99-102.
- Aturupane, Chonira & Djankov, Simeon & Hoekman, Bernard, 1997.
"Determinants of Intra-Industry Trade between East and West Europe,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1721, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Aturupane, Chonira & Djankov, Simeon & Hoekman, Bernard, 1997. "Determinants of intra-industry trade between East and West Europe," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1850, The World Bank.
- Blanchard, Olivier & Kremer, Michael, 1997.
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 112(4), pages 1091-1126, November.
- Blanchard, Olivier & Kremer, Michael R., 1997. "Disorganization," Scholarly Articles 3659691, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Blanchard, O & Kremer, M, 1996. "Disorganization," Working papers 96-30, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Olivier Blanchard & Michael Kremer, 1997. "Disorganization," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 38, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Sertel, Murat R., 1991. "Workers' enterprises in imperfect competition," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(4), pages 698-710, December.
- Horowitz, Ira, 1991. "On the effects of cournot rivalry between entrepreneurial and cooperative firms," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 115-121, March.
- Mai, Chao-Cheng & Hwang, Hong, 1989. "Export subsidies and oligopolistic rivalry between labor-managed and capitalist economies," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 473-480, September.
- Okuguchi, Koji, 1991. "Labor-managed and capitalistic firms in international duopoly: The effects of export subsidy," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 476-484, September.
- Bonin, John P & Jones, Derek C & Putterman, Louis, 1993. "Theoretical and Empirical Studies of Producer Cooperatives: Will Ever the Twain Meet?," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 31(3), pages 1290-320, September.
- Hill, Martyn & Waterson, Michael, 1983. "Labor-managed Cournot oligopoly and industry output," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 43-51, March.
- Jan Svejnar, 1978.
"On the Theory of a Participatory Firm,"
493, Princeton University, Department of Economics, Industrial Relations Section..
- Katsoulacos Yannis, 1994. "Firms' Objectives in Transition Economies," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 392-409, December.
- David Lipton & Jeffrey D. Sachs, 1990. "Creating a Market Economy in Eastern Europe: The Case of Poland," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 21(1), pages 75-148.
- Gérard Roland & Thierry Verdier, 1999.
"Transition and the output fall,"
The Economics of Transition,
The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 7(1), pages 1-28, March.
- Roland, Gérard & Verdier, Thierry, 1997. "Transition and the Output Fall," CEPR Discussion Papers 1636, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Gerard Roland & Thierry Verdier, 1997. "Transition and the Output Fall," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 37, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Roland, G. & Verdier, T., 1997. "Transition and the Output Fall," DELTA Working Papers 97-09, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Carlin, Wendy & Landesmann, Michael, 1997.
"From Theory into Practice? Restructuring and Dynamism in Transition Economies,"
Oxford Review of Economic Policy,
Oxford University Press, vol. 13(2), pages 77-105, Summer.
- Wendy Carlin & Micheal Landesmann, 1998. "From Theory into Practice? Restructuring and Dynamism in Transition Economies," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 155, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Delbono, Flavio & Rossini, Gianpaolo, 1992. "Competition policy vs horizontal merger with public, entrepreneurial, and labor-managed firms," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 226-240, June.
- Neary, Hugh M., 1984. ""Labor-managed cournot oligopoly and industry output": A comment," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 322-327, September.
- Brian Pinto & Marek Belka & Stefan Krajewski, 1993. "Transforming State Enterprises in Poland: Evidence on Adjustment by Manufacturing Firms," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 24(1), pages 213-270.
- Meade, James E, 1972. "The Theory of Labour-Managed Firms and of Profit Sharing," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 82(325), pages 402-28, Supplemen.
- Laffont, Jean-Jacques & Moreaux, Michel, 1985. "Large-Market Cournot Equilibria in Labour-managed Economies," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 52(206), pages 153-65, May.
- Cremer, Helmuth & Cremer, Jacques, 1992. "Duopoly with employee-controlled and profit-maximizing firms: Bertrand vs Cournot competition," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 241-258, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jcecon:v:27:y:1999:i:2:p:295-317. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.