Workers' enterprises in the case of arts production
This paper shows that the standard result according to which labour-managed firms produce a lower amount of output, as compared to profit-maximising firms, is reversed if production per se gives utility and the workers’ membership of labour-managed firms is set prior to market decisions. Under the same hypotheses, the labour-managed firms set a higher product quality than the profit-oriented ones, ceteris paribus. The considered hypotheses are particularly relevant for the case of the performing arts sector, so that the presence of labour-managed firms should be particularly welcomed in this sector.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lambertini, Luca, 1997. "On the provision of product quality by a labor-managed monopolist," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 55(2), pages 279-283, August.
- Michael Kremer, 1997. "Why are Worker Cooperatives So Rare?," NBER Working Papers 6118, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Luca Lambertini, 1998.
"Process innovation and the persistence of monopoly with labour-managed firms,"
Review of Economic Design,
Springer, vol. 3(4), pages 359-369.
- L. Lambertini, 1997. "Process Innovation and the Persistence of Monopoly with Labour-Managed Firms," Working Papers 268, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Meade, James E, 1972. "The Theory of Labour-Managed Firms and of Profit Sharing," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 82(325), pages 402-28, Supplemen.
- Dow, Gregory K., 1986. "Control rights, competitive markets, and the labor management debate," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 48-61, March.
- Lambertini, Luca & Rossini, Gianpaolo, 1998. "Capital Commitment and Cournot Competition with Labour-Managed and Profit-Maximising Firms," Australian Economic Papers, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 37(1), pages 14-21, March.
- A. Michael Spence, 1975. "Monopoly, Quality, and Regulation," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 6(2), pages 417-429, Autumn.
- Henry Hansmann, 1981. "Nonprofit Enterprise in the Performing Arts," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 12(2), pages 341-361, Autumn.
- Patrick Francois, 2002.
"Not-for-profit Provision of Public Services,"
The Centre for Market and Public Organisation
02/060, Department of Economics, University of Bristol, UK.
- Sertel, Murat R., 1991. "Workers' enterprises in imperfect competition," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(4), pages 698-710, December.
- Edward Oczkowski, 2006. "Nash Bargaining And Co-Operatives," Australian Economic Papers, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 45(2), pages 89-98, 06.
- Maurizio Caserta & Tiziana Cuccia, 2001. "The Supply of Arts Labour : Towards a Dynamic Approach," Journal of Cultural Economics, Springer, vol. 25(3), pages 185-201, August.
- Mussa, Michael & Rosen, Sherwin, 1978. "Monopoly and product quality," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 301-317, August.
- Roberto Cellini & Tiziana Cuccia, 2003. "Le peculiarità delle imprese cooperative nel settore dell’arte. Un’analisi teorica," Rivista di Politica Economica, SIPI Spa, vol. 93(3), pages 35-66, May-June.
- Francois, Patrick, 2000. "'Public service motivation' as an argument for government provision," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 78(3), pages 275-299, November.
- Throsby, David, 1994. "The Production and Consumption of the Arts: A View of Cultural Economics," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 32(1), pages 1-29, March.
- Vickers, John, 1985. "Delegation and the Theory of the Firm," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 95(380a), pages 138-47, Supplemen.
- Hill, Martyn & Waterson, Michael, 1983. "Labor-managed Cournot oligopoly and industry output," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 43-51, March.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521586399 is not listed on IDEAS
- Futagami, Koichi & Okamura, Makoto, 1996. "Strategic Investment: The Labor-Managed Firm and the Profit-Maximizing Firm," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 73-91, August.
- Glazer, Amihai, 2004. "Motivating devoted workers," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 427-440, March.
- Cremer, Helmuth & Cremer, Jacques, 1992. "Duopoly with employee-controlled and profit-maximizing firms: Bertrand vs Cournot competition," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 241-258, June.
- Fehr, Ernst & Sertel, Murat R., 1993. "Two forms of workers' enterprises facing imperfect labor markets," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 41(2), pages 121-127.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:5192. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.