Effects of innovation types on firm performance
Innovation is broadly seen as an essential component of competitiveness, embedded in the organizational structures, processes, products and services within a firm. The objective of this paper is to explore the effects of the organizational, process, product and marketing innovations on the different aspects of firm performance, including innovative, production, market and financial performances, based on an empirical study covering 184 manufacturing firms in Turkey. A theoretical framework is empirically tested identifying the relationships amid innovations and firm performance through an integrated innovation-performance analysis. The results reveal the positive effects of innovations on firm performance in manufacturing industries.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Liu, Yi & Li, Yuan & Wei, Zelong, 2009. "How organizational flexibility affects new product development in an uncertain environment: Evidence from China," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 120(1), pages 18-29, July.
- Germain, Richard, 1996. "The role of context and structure in radical and incremental logistics innovation adoption," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 117-127, February.
- Koufteros, Xenophon & Marcoulides, George A., 2006. "Product development practices and performance: A structural equation modeling-based multi-group analysis," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 103(1), pages 286-307, September.
- Zahra, Shaker A., 1993. "Environment, corporate entrepreneurship, and financial performance: A taxonomic approach," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 8(4), pages 319-340, July.
- Baldwin, John R. & Johnson, Joanne, 1996. "Business strategies in more- and less-innovative firms in Canada," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 25(5), pages 785-804, August.
- Paul Geroski, 1995. "Innovation and Competitive Advantage," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 159, OECD Publishing.
- Hagedoorn, John & Cloodt, Myriam, 2003. "Measuring innovative performance: is there an advantage in using multiple indicators?," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 32(8), pages 1365-1379, September.
- P. George Benson & Jayant V. Saraph & Roger G. Schroeder, 1991. "The Effects of Organizational Context on Quality Management: An Empirical Investigation," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 37(9), pages 1107-1124, September.
- Karpak, Birsen & Topcu, Ilker, 2010. "Small medium manufacturing enterprises in Turkey: An analytic network process framework for prioritizing factors affecting success," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 125(1), pages 60-70, May.
- Azadegan, Arash & Wagner, Stephan M., 2011. "Industrial upgrading, exploitative innovations and explorative innovations," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 130(1), pages 54-65, March.
- Antoncic, Bostjan & Hisrich, Robert D., 2001. "Intrapreneurship: Construct refinement and cross-cultural validation," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 16(5), pages 495-527, September.
- Porter, Michael E, 1979. "The Structure within Industries and Companies' Performance," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 61(2), pages 214-27, May.
- Chandler, Gaylen N. & Hanks, Steven H., 1994. "Market attractiveness, resource-based capabilities, venture strategies, and venture performance," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 9(4), pages 331-349, July.
- Subramanian, A. & Nilakanta, S., 1996. "Organizational innovativeness: Exploring the relationship between organizational determinants of innovation, types of innovations, and measures of organizational performance," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 24(6), pages 631-647, December.
- Yang, Chen-Lung & Lin, Shu-Ping & Chan, Ya-hui & Sheu, Chwen, 2010. "Mediated effect of environmental management on manufacturing competitiveness: An empirical study," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 123(1), pages 210-220, January.
- Noel Capon & John U. Farley & Scott Hoenig, 1990. "Determinants of Financial Performance: A Meta-Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 36(10), pages 1143-1159, October.
- Kenneth Bollen, 1986. "Sample size and bentler and Bonett's nonnormed fit index," Psychometrika, Springer, vol. 51(3), pages 375-377, September.
- Hornsby, Jeffrey S. & Kuratko, Donald F. & Zahra, Shaker A., 2002. "Middle managers' perception of the internal environment for corporate entrepreneurship: assessing a measurement scale," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 253-273, May.
- Florence Jaumotte & Nigel Pain, 2005. "Innovation in the Business Sector," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 459, OECD Publishing.
- Andrew C. Worthington, 1998. "Testing the Association Between Production and Financial Performance: Evidence from a Not-for-Profit, Cooperative Setting," Annals of Public and Cooperative Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 69(1), pages 67-83, 03.
- Sadikoglu, Esin & Zehir, Cemal, 2010. "Investigating the effects of innovation and employee performance on the relationship between total quality management practices and firm performance: An empirical study of Turkish firms," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 127(1), pages 13-26, September.
- Rita Gunther McGrath & Ming-Hone Tsai & S. Venkataraman & I. C. MacMillan, 1996. "Innovation, Competitive Advantage and Rent: A Model and Test," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 42(3), pages 389-403, March.
- Anne Marie Knott, 2001. "The Dynamic Value of Hierarchy," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 47(3), pages 430-448, March.
- Zu, Xingxing & Robbins, Tina L. & Fredendall, Lawrence D., 2010. "Mapping the critical links between organizational culture and TQM/Six Sigma practices," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 123(1), pages 86-106, January.
- Yuan Li & Yi Liu & Feng Ren, 2007. "Product innovation and process innovation in SOEs: evidence from the Chinese transition," The Journal of Technology Transfer, Springer, vol. 32(1), pages 63-85, April.
- Yang, Jie, 2010. "The knowledge management strategy and its effect on firm performance: A contingency analysis," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 125(2), pages 215-223, June.
- Christopher D. Ittner & David F. Larcker, 1997. "The Performance Effects of Process Management Techniques," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 43(4), pages 522-534, April.
- Xin, Jenny Y. & Yeung, Andy C.L. & Cheng, T.C.E., 2010. "First to market: Is technological innovation in new product development profitable in health care industries?," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 127(1), pages 129-135, September.
- Yilmaz, Cengiz & Alpkan, Lutfihak & Ergun, Ercan, 2005. "Cultural determinants of customer- and learning-oriented value systems and their joint effects on firm performance," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 58(10), pages 1340-1352, October.
- Atuahene-Gima, Kwaku, 1996. "Market orientation and innovation," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 93-103, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:proeco:v:133:y:2011:i:2:p:662-676. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.