How organizational flexibility affects new product development in an uncertain environment: Evidence from China
This study builds a conceptual model to describe the relationships between resource flexibility (RF), operational coordination flexibility (OCF), and new product introduction capability (NPIC) in operations management, and to explain the moderating effects of resource availability (RA) on the relationships between both types of flexibility and NPIC. Using sample data from Chinese firms, this study finds an inverse U-shaped relationship between resource flexibility and NPIC, and a positive relationship between coordination flexibility and NPIC. Furthermore, this study finds that resource availability negatively moderates the relationships between both types of flexibility and NPIC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- De Toni, Alberto & Tonchia, Stefano, 2005. "Definitions and linkages between operational and strategic flexibilities," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 33(6), pages 525-540, December.
- Lee Cronbach, 1951. "Coefficient alpha and the internal structure of tests," Psychometrika, Springer;The Psychometric Society, vol. 16(3), pages 297-334, September.
- Lee, Joo-Heon & Venkataraman, S., 2006. "Aspirations, market offerings, and the pursuit of entrepreneurial opportunities," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 107-123, January.
- Yuan Li & Yi Liu & Feng Ren, 2007. "Product innovation and process innovation in SOEs: evidence from the Chinese transition," The Journal of Technology Transfer, Springer, vol. 32(1), pages 63-85, April.
- Matsui, Yoshiki, 2007. "An empirical analysis of just-in-time production in Japanese manufacturing companies," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 108(1-2), pages 153-164, July.
- MacMillan, Ian C. & Day, Diana L., 1987. "Corporate ventures into industrial markets: Dynamics of aggressive entry," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 2(1), pages 29-39.
- Chang, An-Yuan, 2007. "On the measurement of routing flexibility: A multiple attribute approach," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 109(1-2), pages 122-136, September.
- Amoako-Gyampah, Kwasi & Acquaah, Moses, 2008. "Manufacturing strategy, competitive strategy and firm performance: An empirical study in a developing economy environment," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 111(2), pages 575-592, February.
- Filson, Darren, 2002.
"Product and process innovations in the life cycle of an industry,"
Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 49(1), pages 97-112, September.
- Darren Filson, . "Product and Process Innovations in the Life Cycle of an Industry," Claremont Colleges Working Papers 2000-30, Claremont Colleges.
- Corsten, Hans & Gossinger, Ralf, 2006. "Output flexibility of service enterprises -- an analysis based on production theory," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 104(2), pages 296-307, December.
- Lau Antonio, K.W. & Yam, Richard C.M. & Tang, Esther, 2007. "The impacts of product modularity on competitive capabilities and performance: An empirical study," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 105(1), pages 1-20, January.
- Mohan V. Tatikonda & Mitzi M. Montoya-Weiss, 2001. "Integrating Operations and Marketing Perspectives of Product Innovation: The Influence of Organizational Process Factors and Capabilities on Development Performance," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 47(1), pages 151-172, January.
- Yuan Li & YongFeng Sun & Yi Liu, 2006. "An empirical study of SOEs' market orientation in transitional China," Asia Pacific Journal of Management, Springer, vol. 23(1), pages 93-113, March.
- Donald Gerwin, 1993. "Manufacturing Flexibility: A Strategic Perspective," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 39(4), pages 395-410, April.
- Jay B. Barney, 1986. "Strategic Factor Markets: Expectations, Luck, and Business Strategy," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 32(10), pages 1231-1241, October.
- John Child, 2005. "The Dynamic Between Firms' Environmental Strategies and Institutional Constraints in Emerging Economies: Evidence from China and Taiwan," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 42(1), pages 95-125, 01.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:proeco:v:120:y:2009:i:1:p:18-29. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.