How organizational flexibility affects new product development in an uncertain environment: Evidence from China
This study builds a conceptual model to describe the relationships between resource flexibility (RF), operational coordination flexibility (OCF), and new product introduction capability (NPIC) in operations management, and to explain the moderating effects of resource availability (RA) on the relationships between both types of flexibility and NPIC. Using sample data from Chinese firms, this study finds an inverse U-shaped relationship between resource flexibility and NPIC, and a positive relationship between coordination flexibility and NPIC. Furthermore, this study finds that resource availability negatively moderates the relationships between both types of flexibility and NPIC
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lau Antonio, K.W. & Yam, Richard C.M. & Tang, Esther, 2007. "The impacts of product modularity on competitive capabilities and performance: An empirical study," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 105(1), pages 1-20, January.
- Filson, Darren, 2002.
"Product and process innovations in the life cycle of an industry,"
Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 49(1), pages 97-112, September.
- Darren Filson, . "Product and Process Innovations in the Life Cycle of an Industry," Claremont Colleges Working Papers 2000-30, Claremont Colleges.
- Matsui, Yoshiki, 2007. "An empirical analysis of just-in-time production in Japanese manufacturing companies," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 108(1-2), pages 153-164, July.
- Amoako-Gyampah, Kwasi & Acquaah, Moses, 2008. "Manufacturing strategy, competitive strategy and firm performance: An empirical study in a developing economy environment," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 111(2), pages 575-592, February.
- Donald Gerwin, 1993. "Manufacturing Flexibility: A Strategic Perspective," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 39(4), pages 395-410, April.
- Corsten, Hans & Gossinger, Ralf, 2006. "Output flexibility of service enterprises -- an analysis based on production theory," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 104(2), pages 296-307, December.
- Lee, Joo-Heon & Venkataraman, S., 2006. "Aspirations, market offerings, and the pursuit of entrepreneurial opportunities," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 107-123, January.
- De Toni, Alberto & Tonchia, Stefano, 2005. "Definitions and linkages between operational and strategic flexibilities," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 33(6), pages 525-540, December.
- MacMillan, Ian C. & Day, Diana L., 1987. "Corporate ventures into industrial markets: Dynamics of aggressive entry," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 2(1), pages 29-39.
- Lee Cronbach, 1951. "Coefficient alpha and the internal structure of tests," Psychometrika, Springer, vol. 16(3), pages 297-334, September.
- Jay B. Barney, 1986. "Strategic Factor Markets: Expectations, Luck, and Business Strategy," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 32(10), pages 1231-1241, October.
- Mohan V. Tatikonda & Mitzi M. Montoya-Weiss, 2001. "Integrating Operations and Marketing Perspectives of Product Innovation: The Influence of Organizational Process Factors and Capabilities on Development Performance," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 47(1), pages 151-172, January.
- Chang, An-Yuan, 2007. "On the measurement of routing flexibility: A multiple attribute approach," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 109(1-2), pages 122-136, September.
- John Child, 2005. "The Dynamic Between Firms' Environmental Strategies and Institutional Constraints in Emerging Economies: Evidence from China and Taiwan," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 42(1), pages 95-125, 01.
- Yuan Li & YongFeng Sun & Yi Liu, 2006. "An empirical study of SOEs' market orientation in transitional China," Asia Pacific Journal of Management, Springer, vol. 23(1), pages 93-113, March.
- Yuan Li & Yi Liu & Feng Ren, 2007. "Product innovation and process innovation in SOEs: evidence from the Chinese transition," The Journal of Technology Transfer, Springer, vol. 32(1), pages 63-85, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:proeco:v:120:y:2009:i:1:p:18-29. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.