Investigating the effects of innovation and employee performance on the relationship between total quality management practices and firm performance: An empirical study of Turkish firms
The results from studies of the relationship between total quality management (TQM) practices and firm performance and from those on the effects of TQM practices on various types of performance measures are mixed. There is no extensive empirical evidence about the effect of TQM practices on employee performance and innovation performance, and few empirical studies have investigated the mediating effect (indirect relationship) of one type of performance measure on the relationship between TQM practices and another type of performance measure. The objective of this study was to investigate the relationships between TQM practices and multiple performance measures and to examine the mediating effects of employee performance and innovation performance on the relationship between TQM practices and firm performance. The study used a cross-sectional survey methodology--we sent questionnaires to 500 randomly selected ISO 9001:2000 certified firms in different industries in the Marmara region in Turkey in 2005 and 2006 and obtained 373 usable questionnaires. After confirming the validity and reliability of the latent variables with confirmatory and exploratory factor analyses, we tested the model and hypotheses using structural equation modeling. Results of the study support the proposed hypotheses that employee performance and innovation performance partially mediate the relationship between TQM practices and firm performance. The study also provides managerial and research implications, research limitations, and suggestions for future studies.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Easton, George S & Jarrell, Sherry L, 1998. "The Effects of Total Quality Management on Corporate Performance: An Empirical Investigation," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 71(2), pages 253-307, April.
- Yang, Jie & Wong, Christina W.Y. & Lai, Kee-hung & Ntoko, Alfred Ngome, 2009. "The antecedents of dyadic quality performance and its effect on buyer-supplier relationship improvement," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 120(1), pages 243-251, July.
- Soltani, Ebrahim & van der Meer, Robert & Gennard, John & Williams, Terry, 2003. "A TQM Approach to HR Performance Evaluation Criteria," European Management Journal, Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 323-337, June.
- Kevin B. Hendricks & Vinod R. Singhal, 1997. "Does Implementing an Effective TQM Program Actually Improve Operating Performance? Empirical Evidence from Firms That Have Won Quality Awards," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 43(9), pages 1258-1274, September.
- Anderson, Ronald D. & Jerman, Roger E. & Crum, Michael R., 1998. "Quality management influences on logistics performance," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 34(2), pages 137-148, June.
- Forza, Cipriano & Filippini, Roberto, 1998. "TQM impact on quality conformance and customer satisfaction: A causal model," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 55(1), pages 1-20, June.
- Mazzanti, Massimiliano & Pini, Paolo & Tortia, Ermanno, 2006. "Organizational innovations, human resources and firm performance: The Emilia-Romagna food sector," Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics (formerly The Journal of Socio-Economics), Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 123-141, February.
- Rahman, Shams-ur & Bullock, Philip, 2005. "Soft TQM, hard TQM, and organisational performance relationships: an empirical investigation," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 73-83, February.
- Conca, Francisco Jose & Llopis, Juan & Tari, Juan Jose, 2004. "Development of a measure to assess quality management in certified firms," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 156(3), pages 683-697, August.
- Kannan, Vijay R. & Tan, Keah Choon, 2005. "Just in time, total quality management, and supply chain management: understanding their linkages and impact on business performance," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 153-162, April.
- Kevin B. Hendricks & Vinod R. Singhal, 1996. "Quality Awards and the Market Value of the Firm: An Empirical Investigation," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 42(3), pages 415-436, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:proeco:v:127:y:2010:i:1:p:13-26. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.