Carrots or sticks? A social custom viewpoint on worker effort
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Pisauro, Giuseppe, 1991. "The effect of taxes on labour in efficiency wage models," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 46(3), pages 329-345, December.
- Ernst Fehr & Simon Gachter & Georg Kirchsteiger, 1997.
"Reciprocity as a Contract Enforcement Device: Experimental Evidence,"
Econometric Society, vol. 65(4), pages 833-860, July.
- Georg Kirchsteiger & Ernst Fehr & Simon Gächter, 1997. "Reciprocity as a contract enforcement device: experimental evidence," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/5911, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Leonard, Jonathan S, 1987. "Carrots and Sticks: Pay, Supervision, and Turnover," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 5(4), pages 136-152, October.
- Alison L. Booth, 1985. "The Free Rider Problem and a Social Custom Model of Trade Union Membership," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 100(1), pages 253-261.
- George A. Akerlof, 1982. "Labor Contracts as Partial Gift Exchange," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 97(4), pages 543-569.
- Lawrence F. Katz, 1986. "Efficiency Wage Theories: A Partial Evaluation," NBER Chapters,in: NBER Macroeconomics Annual 1986, Volume 1, pages 235-290 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Corneo, Giacomo, 1995. "Social custom, management opposition, and trade union membership," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 39(2), pages 275-292, February.
- Dilip Mookherjee, 1984. "Optimal Incentive Schemes with Many Agents," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 51(3), pages 433-446.
- Naylor, Robin & Raaum, Oddbjorn, 1993. "The Open Shop Union, Wages, and Management Opposition," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 45(4), pages 589-604, October.
- Arai, Mahmood, 1989. "Monitoring and additional wages in labour extraction," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 11(1), pages 115-125, January.
- Carter, Thomas J. & De Lancey, Paul R., 1997. "Just, Unjust, and Just-Cause Dismissals," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 619-628, July.
- Robin Naylor, 1989. "Strikes, Free Riders, and Social Customs," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 104(4), pages 771-785.
- George A. Akerlof, 1980.
"A Theory of Social Custom, of which Unemployment may be One Consequence,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 94(4), pages 749-775.
- George A. Akerlof, 1978. "A theory of social custom, of which unemployment may be one consequence," Special Studies Papers 118, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Carmichael, H Lorne, 1990. "Efficiency Wage Models of Unemployment--One View," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 28(2), pages 269-295, April.
- Shapiro, Carl & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1984. "Equilibrium Unemployment as a Worker Discipline Device," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 74(3), pages 433-444, June.
- Frey, Bruno S., 1993. "Shirking or work morale? : The impact of regulating," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 37(8), pages 1523-1532, December.
- Frey, Bruno S, 1993. "Does Monitoring Increase Work Effort? The Rivalry with Trust and Loyalty," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 31(4), pages 663-670, October.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Garcia-Prado, Ariadna, 2005. "Sweetening the carrot : motivating public physicians for better performance," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3772, The World Bank.
- Dennis Dittrich & Martin Kocher, 2006.
"Monitoring and Pay: An Experiment on Employee Performance under Endogenous Supervision,"
Papers on Strategic Interaction
2006-23, Max Planck Institute of Economics, Strategic Interaction Group.
- Dennis Dittrich & Martin G. Kocher, 2006. "Monitoring and Pay: An Experiment on Employee Performance under Endogenous Supervision," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 06-098/1, Tinbergen Institute.
- Dittrich, Dennis A. V. & Kocher, Martin G., 2011. "Monitoring and Pay: An Experiment on Employee Performance under Endogenous Supervision," Discussion Papers in Economics 12222, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Bruno S. Frey & Reto Jegen, "undated". "Motivation Crowding Theory: A Survey Of Empirical Evidence, Revised Version," IEW - Working Papers 049, Institute for Empirical Research in Economics - University of Zurich.
- JosÃ© Antonio Alfaro & Josep TribÃ³, 2003. "Monitoring, Operational Manager Efforts and Inventory Policy," Faculty Working Papers 11/03, School of Economics and Business Administration, University of Navarra.
- Rommel, Jens & Buttmann, Vera & Liebig, Georg & Schönwetter, Stephanie & Svart-Gröger, Valeria, 2015. "Motivation crowding theory and pro-environmental behavior: Experimental evidence," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 129(C), pages 42-44.
- Laszlo Goerke & Markus Pannenberg, 2004.
"Norm-Based Trade Union Membership: Evidence for Germany,"
German Economic Review,
Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 5(4), pages 481-504, November.
- Goerke, Laszlo & Pannenberg, Markus, 2003. "Norm-Based Trade Union Membership: Evidence for Germany," IZA Discussion Papers 962, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
More about this item
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:poleco:v:15:y:1999:i:2:p:297-310. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu). General contact details of provider: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/505544 .