Labor union bargaining and firm organizational structure
Bargaining sequences, though vital to the real-world business strategies, are often treated as exogenously given. We examine bargaining sequences in the setting where a downstream firm makes a merger decision with an upstream partner and faces a negotiation with a union. When the downstream firm's power in the wage bargaining is weak, separation results and the input price bargaining proceeds prior to the wage bargaining. When the downstream firm's power in both negotiations is relatively equal, firms opt for separation and both negotiations keep on simultaneously. When the downstream firm's power in the wage negotiation is strong, the firms merge.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chaim Fershtman, 1986.
"The Importance of the Agenda in Bargaining,"
689, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Waterson, Michael, 1982. "Vertical Integration, Variable Proportions and Oligopoly," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 92(365), pages 129-44, March.
- Joseph J. Spengler, 1950. "Vertical Integration and Antitrust Policy," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 58, pages 347.
- Perotti, E.C. & Spier, K.E., 1991.
"Capital Structure As A Bargaining Tool: The Role Of Leverage In Contract Renegociation,"
Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers
1548, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Perotti, Enrico C & Spier, Kathryn E, 1993. "Capital Structure as a Bargaining Tool: The Role of Leverage in Contract Renegotiation," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 83(5), pages 1131-41, December.
- Holmstrom, Bengt & Tirole, Jean, 1991. "Transfer Pricing and Organizational Form," Journal of Law, Economics and Organization, Oxford University Press, vol. 7(2), pages 201-28, Fall.
- Henrick Horn & Asher Wolinsky, 1988.
"Bilateral Monopolies and Incentives for Merger,"
RAND Journal of Economics,
The RAND Corporation, vol. 19(3), pages 408-419, Autumn.
- Maria Bas & Juan Carluccio, 2010.
"Wage Bargaining and the Boundaries of the Multinational Firm,"
2010-03, CEPII research center.
- Maria Bas & Juan Carluccio, 2009. "Wage Bargaining and the Boundaries of the Multinational Firm," CEP Discussion Papers dp0963, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Maria Bas & Juan Carluccio, 2009. "Wage bargaining and the boundaries of the multinational firm," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 28700, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Bas, Maria & Carluccio, Juan, 2010. "Wage Bargaining and the Boundaries of the Multinational Firm," CEPR Discussion Papers 7867, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Inderst, Roman, 1998.
"Multi-Issue Bargaining with Endogenous Agenda,"
Sonderforschungsbereich 504 Publications
98-35, Sonderforschungsbereich 504, Universität Mannheim;Sonderforschungsbereich 504, University of Mannheim.
- Horn, Henrik & Wolinsky, Asher, 1988. "Worker Substitutability and Patterns of Unionisation," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 98(391), pages 484-97, June.
- Sebastian Braun & Juliane Scheffel, 2007. "Does International Outsourcing Depress Union Wages?," SFB 649 Discussion Papers SFB649DP2007-033, Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany.
- Robert C. Marshall & Antonio Merlo, 2004.
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 45(1), pages 239-255, 02.
- Hart, O. & Tirole, J., 1990. "Vertical Integration And Market Foreclosure," Working papers 548, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Raskovich, Alexander, 2007. "Ordered bargaining," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 25(5), pages 1126-1143, October.
- Noe, Thomas H & Wang, Jun, 2000. "Strategic Debt Restructuring," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 13(4), pages 985-1015.
- In, Younghwan & Serrano, Roberto, 2003.
"Agenda restrictions in multi-issue bargaining (II): unrestricted agendas,"
Elsevier, vol. 79(3), pages 325-331, June.
- Younghwan In & Roberto Serrano, 2002. "Agenda Restrictions in Multi-Issue Bargaining (II): Unrestricted Agendas," Departmental Working Papers wp0206, National University of Singapore, Department of Economics.
- Marx, Leslie M. & Shaffer, Greg, 2007. "Rent shifting and the order of negotiations," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 25(5), pages 1109-1125, October.
- Charles E. Hyde & Chongwoo Choe, 2005. "Keeping Two Sets of Books: The Relationship Between Tax and Incentive Transfer Prices," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 14(1), pages 165-186, 03.
- Dobson, Paul W., 1994. "Multifirm unions and the incentive to adopt pattern bargaining in oligopoly," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 38(1), pages 87-100, January.
- Lin, Y Joseph, 1988. "Oligopoly and Vertical Integration: Note," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 78(1), pages 251-54, March.
- Jean Tirole, 1988. "The Theory of Industrial Organization," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262200716, March.
- Greenhut, M L & Ohta, H, 1979. "Vertical Integration of Successive Oligopolists," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 69(1), pages 137-41, March.
- Silvana Krasteva & Huseyin Yildirim, 2012. "Payoff uncertainty, bargaining power, and the strategic sequencing of bilateral negotiations," RAND Journal of Economics, RAND Corporation, vol. 43(3), pages 514-536, 09.
- Stenbacka, Rune & Tombak, Mihkel, 2012. "Make and buy: Balancing bargaining power," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 81(2), pages 391-402.
- Byoung Heon Jun, 1989. "Non-cooperative Bargaining and Union Formation," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 56(1), pages 59-76.
- Lawrence Mishel, 1986. "The Structural Determinants of Union Bargaining Power," ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 40(1), pages 90-104, October.
- Pemberton, James, 1988. "A 'Managerial' Model of the Trade Union," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 98(392), pages 755-71, September.
- Charles E. Lindblom, 1948. ""Bargaining Power" in Price and Wage Determination," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 62(3), pages 396-417.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:labeco:v:24:y:2013:i:c:p:116-124. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.