Does capital structure depend on group affiliation? An analysis of Indian firms
This paper investigates the effect of group-affiliation on Indian corporate firms’ capital structure, based on data on 875 Indian non-financial firms for the period 2002–2010. The GMM turns out to be the most appropriate among the three alternative methods. Following our hypothesis, group-affiliated firms are found to have lower leverage than the stand-alone firms. Managers of group-affiliated firms seem to prefer equity as high leverage increases its bankruptcy risk. Also, firms are forced to cut capital requirements and R&D investments in order to service debt payments, damaging their long-run efficiency and competitive position. From our analysis the conclusion that follows for the policy makers is that although group-affiliation is considered to be beneficial for emerging economies like India in some earlier studies (Khanna & Palepu, 2000a), they ignored other dimensions of firm performance such as optimization of capital structure.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gul, Ferdinand A., 1999. "Growth opportunities, capital structure and dividend policies in Japan," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 141-168, June.
- McConaughy, Daniel L. & Walker, Michael C. & Henderson, Glenn Jr. & Mishra, Chandra S., 1998. "Founding family controlled firms: Efficiency and value," Review of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 1-19.
- Tarun Khanna & Krishna Palepu, 2000. "Is Group Affiliation Profitable in Emerging Markets? An Analysis of Diversified Indian Business Groups," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 55(2), pages 867-891, 04.
- Blundell, Richard & Bond, Stephen, 1998.
"Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data models,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 87(1), pages 115-143, August.
- Richard Blundell & Steve Bond, 1995. "Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data models," IFS Working Papers W95/17, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- R Blundell & Steven Bond, . "Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data model," Economics Papers W14&104., Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Blundell, R. & Bond, S., 1995. "Initial Conditions and Moment Restrictions in Dynamic Panel Data Models," Economics Papers 104, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Huang, Guihai & Song, Frank M., 2006. "The determinants of capital structure: Evidence from China," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 14-36.
- Randall Morck, 2011.
"Finance and Governance in Developing Economies,"
Annual Review of Financial Economics,
Annual Reviews, vol. 3(1), pages 375-406, December.
- Mehran, Hamid, 1992. "Executive Incentive Plans, Corporate Control, and Capital Structure," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 27(04), pages 539-560, December.
- Hunter, John & Isachenkova, Natalia, 2006.
"Aggregate economy risk and company failure: An examination of UK quoted firms in the early 1990s,"
Journal of Policy Modeling,
Elsevier, vol. 28(8), pages 911-919, November.
- John Hunter, 2003. "AGGREGATE ECONOMY RISK AND COMPANY FAILURE:AN EXAMINATION OF UK QUOTED FIRMS IN THE EARLY 1990s," Public Policy Discussion Papers 03-09, Economics and Finance Section, School of Social Sciences, Brunel University.
- John Hunter & Natalia Isachenkova, 2004. "Aggregate Economy Risk And Company Failure:An Examination Of Uk Quoted Firms In The Early 1990s," Money Macro and Finance (MMF) Research Group Conference 2004 74, Money Macro and Finance Research Group.
- John Hunter, 2003. "AGGREGATE ECONOMY RISK AND COMPANY FAILURE:AN EXAMINATION OF UK QUOTED FIRMS IN THE EARLY 1990s," Economics and Finance Discussion Papers 03-09, Economics and Finance Section, School of Social Sciences, Brunel University.
- Kooyul Jung & Boyoung Kim & Byungmo Kim, 2009. "Tax Motivated Income Shifting and Korean Business Groups (Chaebol)," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 36(5-6), pages 552-586.
- Opler, Tim & Pinkowitz, Lee & Stulz, Rene & Williamson, Rohan, 1999.
"The determinants and implications of corporate cash holdings,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 52(1), pages 3-46, April.
- Tim Opler & Lee Pinkowitz & Rene Stulz & Rohan Williamson, 1997. "The Determinants and Implications of Corporate Cash Holdings," NBER Working Papers 6234, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Arellano, Manuel & Bover, Olympia, 1995.
"Another look at the instrumental variable estimation of error-components models,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 29-51, July.
- M Arellano & O Bover, 1990. "Another Look at the Instrumental Variable Estimation of Error-Components Models," CEP Discussion Papers dp0007, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Manos, Ronny & Murinde, Victor & Green, Christopher J., 2007. "Leverage and business groups: Evidence from Indian firms," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 59(5), pages 443-465.
- Laurence Booth, 2001.
"Capital Structures in Developing Countries,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 56(1), pages 87-130, 02.
- Wolfgang Drobetz & Gabrielle Wanzenried, 2006. "What determines the speed of adjustment to the target capital structure?," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(13), pages 941-958.
- Hunter, John & Isachenkova, Natalia, 2001. "Failure risk: A comparative study of UK and Russian firms," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 23(5), pages 511-521, July.
- Baumol, William J., 2008. "Small enterprises, large firms, productivity growth and wages," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 30(4), pages 575-589.
- Heitor V. Almeida & Daniel Wolfenzon, 2006. "A Theory of Pyramidal Ownership and Family Business Groups," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 61(6), pages 2637-2680, December.
- Manuel Arellano & Stephen Bond, 1991.
"Some Tests of Specification for Panel Data: Monte Carlo Evidence and an Application to Employment Equations,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 58(2), pages 277-297.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS program to replicate Arellano-Bond 1991 dynamic panel," Statistical Software Components RTZ00169, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Friend, Irwin & Lang, Larry H P, 1988. " An Empirical Test of the Impact of Managerial Self-interest on Corporate Capital Structure," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 43(2), pages 271-81, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jpolmo:v:35:y:2013:i:1:p:110-120. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.