Human resource rightsizing using centralized data envelopment analysis: Evidence from Taiwan's Airports
Centralized human resource reallocation involves deciding how to fit change in a way that maximizes aggregated outputs. This paper presents an alternative approach to reallocating human resources. Specifically, an aggregated concept in the form of data envelopment analysis (DEA) is used to construct a modified centralized DEA model that is combined with a Russell measure and applied to three different human resource reallocation policies. An application to illustrate manpower rightsizing in an airport organizational setting in Taiwan is also demonstrated using centralized DEA for regular and/or contracted employees. The results demonstrate that the application is effective in reducing and/or transferring staff, while maximizing organizational output levels and implementing smooth downsizing. The results also present directions for possible improvements in workplace efficiency.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 41 (2013)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/375/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Yoshida, Yuichiro & Fujimoto, Hiroyoshi, 2004. "Japanese-airport benchmarking with the DEA and endogenous-weight TFP methods: testing the criticism of overinvestment in Japanese regional airports," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 40(6), pages 533-546, November.
- Belfares, Lamia & Klibi, Walid & Lo, Nassirou & Guitouni, Adel, 2007. "Multi-objectives Tabu Search based algorithm for progressive resource allocation," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 177(3), pages 1779-1799, March.
- Thanassoulis, E., 1996. "A data envelopment analysis approach to clustering operating units for resource allocation purposes," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 24(4), pages 463-476, August.
- Zhang, Anming & Fu, Xiaowen & Yang, Hangjun (Gavin), 2010. "Revenue sharing with multiple airlines and airports," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 44(8-9), pages 944-959, September.
- Yoshida, Yuichiro, 2004. "Endogenous-weight TFP measurement: methodology and its application to Japanese-airport benchmarking," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 40(2), pages 151-182, March.
- Demirtas, Ezgi Aktar & Üstün, Özden, 2008. "An integrated multiobjective decision making process for supplier selection and order allocation," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 36(1), pages 76-90, February.
- Correa, Hector & Craft, James, 1999. "Input-output analysis for organizational human resources management," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 87-99, February.
- Chen, Chung-Jen & Huang, Jing-Wen, 2009. "Strategic human resource practices and innovation performance -- The mediating role of knowledge management capacity," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 62(1), pages 104-114, January.
- David E. Guest & Jonathan Michie & Neil Conway & Maura Sheehan, 2003. "Human Resource Management and Corporate Performance in the UK," British Journal of Industrial Relations, London School of Economics, vol. 41(2), pages 291-314, 06.
- Cook, Wade D. & Liang, Liang & Zhu, Joe, 2010. "Measuring performance of two-stage network structures by DEA: A review and future perspective," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 38(6), pages 423-430, December.
- Joglekar, Nitin R. & Ford, David N., 2005. "Product development resource allocation with foresight," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 160(1), pages 72-87, January.
- Casu, Barbara & Girardone, Claudia, 2010. "Integration and efficiency convergence in EU banking markets," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 38(5), pages 260-267, October.
- Antreas D. Athanassopoulos, 1998. "Decision Support for Target-Based Resource Allocation of Public Services in Multiunit and Multilevel Systems," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 44(2), pages 173-187, February.
- Sebastián Lozano & Ester Gutiérrez, 2011. "Efficiency Analysis and Target Setting of Spanish Airports," Networks and Spatial Economics, Springer, vol. 11(1), pages 139-157, March.
- Sarkis, Joseph & Talluri, Srinivas, 2004. "Performance based clustering for benchmarking of US airports," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 38(5), pages 329-346, June.
- Caballero, Rafael & Galache, Teodoro & Gomez, Trinidad & Molina, Julian & Torrico, Angel, 2004. "Budgetary allocations and efficiency in the human resources policy of a university following multiple criteria," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 67-74, February.
- Pels, Eric & Nijkamp, Peter & Rietveld, Piet, 2001. "Relative efficiency of European airports," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 183-192, July.
- Arie Y. Lewin & John W. Minton, 1986. "Determining Organizational Effectiveness: Another Look, and an Agenda for Research," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 32(5), pages 514-538, May.
- Ogryczak, Wlodzimierz & Wierzbicki, Adam & Milewski, Marcin, 2008. "A multi-criteria approach to fair and efficient bandwidth allocation," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 36(3), pages 451-463, June.
- Syrjanen, Mikko J., 2004. "Non-discretionary and discretionary factors and scale in data envelopment analysis," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 158(1), pages 20-33, October.
- Pels, Eric & Nijkamp, Peter & Rietveld, Piet, 2003. "Inefficiencies and scale economies of European airport operations," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 39(5), pages 341-361, September.
- Morais, Danielle C. & de Almeida, Adiel Teixeira, 2012. "Group decision making on water resources based on analysis of individual rankings," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 42-52, January.
- Athanassopoulos, Antreas D., 1995. "Goal programming & data envelopment analysis (GoDEA) for target-based multi-level planning: Allocating central grants to the Greek local authorities," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 87(3), pages 535-550, December.
- Yu, Ming-Miin, 2010. "Assessment of airport performance using the SBM-NDEA model," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 38(6), pages 440-452, December.
- Kwak, N. K. & Lee, Changwon, 1998. "A multicriteria decision-making approach to university resource allocations and information infrastructure planning," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 110(2), pages 234-242, October.
- Hooper, P.G & Hensher, D.A, 1997. "Measuring total factor productivity of airports-- an index number approach," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 33(4), pages 249-259, December.
- Adler, Nicole & Berechman, Joseph, 2001. "Measuring airport quality from the airlines' viewpoint: an application of data envelopment analysis," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 171-181, July.
- Pekka Korhonen & Mikko Syrjänen, 2004. "Resource Allocation Based on Efficiency Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 50(8), pages 1134-1144, August.
- Fernandes, Elton & Pacheco, R. R., 2002. "Efficient use of airport capacity," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 36(3), pages 225-238, March.
- Lozano, S. & Villa, G. & Adenso-Díaz, B., 2004. "Centralised target setting for regional recycling operations using DEA," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 101-110, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jomega:v:41:y:2013:i:1:p:119-130. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.