A data envelopment analysis approach to clustering operating units for resource allocation purposes
Bodies such as those funding education or health services normally make use of marginal resource levels (e.g. the level of funding per pupil) to allocate resources to operating units. It is typically desired that marginal resource levels should encourage the operating units to use resources as efficiently as possible. This paper develops a method for simultaneously clustering operating units and determining a different set of marginal resource levels for resourcing the units of each cluster, consistent with the foregoing aim. The user controls the number of clusters created, striking a balance between the multiplicity of sets of marginal resource levels estimated and the strength of the incentive offered to operating units to use a resource efficiently. The clusters identified can prove useful in themselves in that operating units sharing similar environmental conditions and/or value systems are identified.
Volume (Year): 24 (1996)
Issue (Month): 4 (August)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/375/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- R. D. Banker & A. Charnes & W. W. Cooper, 1984. "Some Models for Estimating Technical and Scale Inefficiencies in Data Envelopment Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 30(9), pages 1078-1092, September.
- Thanassoulis, E. & Dyson, R. G., 1992. "Estimating preferred target input-output levels using data envelopment analysis," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 56(1), pages 80-97, January.
- Boussofiane, A. & Dyson, R. G. & Thanassoulis, E., 1991. "Applied data envelopment analysis," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 52(1), pages 1-15, May.
- Michael Barrow & Adam Wagstaff, 1989. "Efficiency measurement in the public sector: an appraisal," Fiscal Studies, Institute for Fiscal Studies, vol. 10(1), pages 72-97, February.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jomega:v:24:y:1996:i:4:p:463-476. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.