Identifying managerial groups in a large Canadian bank branch network with a DEA approach
This paper develops a new grouping approach in using data envelopment analysis as a framework to identify management groups and group performance leaders. The management group relies on the fact that branches grouped together present similar managerial preferences over performance goals and resource deployments due to internal or external market forces. This grouping approach can help a firm to create continuous improvement opportunities with effectively promoting the best managerial practices within groups, given similar operating characteristics. This approach’s grouping power and rationality is examined in the context of a large Canadian bank with about 1000 branches. The advantages of this new grouping approach are further verified through comparisons with the results obtained from the traditional clustering algorithm and the collaborating Bank’s “community type and population size” grouping criteria.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Day, Diana L. & Lewin, Arie Y. & Li, Hongyu, 1995. "Strategic leaders or strategic groups: A longitudinal data envelopment analysis of the U.S. brewing industry," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 80(3), pages 619-638, February.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
- Juan Aparicio & José Ruiz & Inmaculada Sirvent, 2007. "Closest targets and minimum distance to the Pareto-efficient frontier in DEA," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 28(3), pages 209-218, December.
- Johnes, Jill, 2006. "Data envelopment analysis and its application to the measurement of efficiency in higher education," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 273-288, June.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Golany, B. & Seiford, L. & Stutz, J., 1985. "Foundations of data envelopment analysis for Pareto-Koopmans efficient empirical production functions," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 30(1-2), pages 91-107.
- R. D. Banker & A. Charnes & W. W. Cooper, 1984. "Some Models for Estimating Technical and Scale Inefficiencies in Data Envelopment Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 30(9), pages 1078-1092, September.
- Schaffnit, Claire & Rosen, Dan & Paradi, Joseph C., 1997. "Best practice analysis of bank branches: An application of DEA in a large Canadian bank," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 98(2), pages 269-289, April.
- Cook, Wade D. & Seiford, Lawrence M. & Zhu, Joe, 2004. "Models for performance benchmarking: measuring the effect of e-business activities on banking performance," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 32(4), pages 313-322, August.
- Antreas D. Athanassopoulos, 2003. "Strategic Groups, Frontier Benchmarking and Performance Differences: Evidence from the UK Retail Grocery Industry," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 40(4), pages 921-953, 06.
- Berger, Allen N. & Humphrey, David B., 1997.
"Efficiency of financial institutions: International survey and directions for future research,"
European Journal of Operational Research,
Elsevier, vol. 98(2), pages 175-212, April.
- Allen N. Berger & David B. Humphrey, 1997. "Efficiency of Financial Institutions: International Survey and Directions for Future Research," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 97-05, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Allen N. Berger & David B. Humphrey, 1997. "Efficiency of financial institutions: international survey and directions for future research," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 1997-11, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Thanassoulis, E., 1996. "A data envelopment analysis approach to clustering operating units for resource allocation purposes," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 24(4), pages 463-476, August.
- Mangiameli, Paul & Chen, Shaw K. & West, David, 1996. "A comparison of SOM neural network and hierarchical clustering methods," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 93(2), pages 402-417, September.
- Tone, Kaoru, 2001. "A slacks-based measure of efficiency in data envelopment analysis," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 130(3), pages 498-509, May.
- Prior, Diego & Surroca, Jordi, 2006. "Strategic groups based on marginal rates: An application to the Spanish banking industry," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 170(1), pages 293-314, April.
- Paradi, Joseph C. & Rouatt, Stephen & Zhu, Haiyan, 2011. "Two-stage evaluation of bank branch efficiency using data envelopment analysis," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 39(1), pages 99-109, January.
- Maria Silva Portela & Pedro Borges & Emmanuel Thanassoulis, 2003. "Finding Closest Targets in Non-Oriented DEA Models: The Case of Convex and Non-Convex Technologies," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 19(2), pages 251-269, April.
- Gonzalez, Eduardo & Alvarez, Antonio, 2001. "From efficiency measurement to efficiency improvement: The choice of a relevant benchmark," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 133(3), pages 512-520, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ejores:v:219:y:2012:i:1:p:178-187. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.