Productivity growth and biased technological change in Japanese airports
In this paper, the productivities of Japanese airports over the period of 1987-2005 are analyzed using the Malmquist index, and technological bias is investigated. During this period, airports on average became less efficient and experienced technological regress. Our results indicate that the traditional growth accounting method, which assumes Hicks neutral technological change, is not appropriate for analyzing changes in productivity for Japanese airports.
Volume (Year): 17 (2010)
Issue (Month): 4 (August)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/30473/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ohta, Kazuhiro, 1999. "International airports: financing methods in Japan," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 5(4), pages 223-234.
- Pels, Eric & Nijkamp, Peter & Rietveld, Piet, 2001. "Relative efficiency of European airports," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 183-192, July.
- Francis, Graham & Humphreys, Ian & Fry, Jackie, 2002. "The benchmarking of airport performance," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 8(4), pages 239-247.
- Adler, Nicole & Berechman, Joseph, 2001. "Measuring airport quality from the airlines' viewpoint: an application of data envelopment analysis," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 171-181, July.
- Fernandes, Elton & Pacheco, R. R., 2002. "Efficient use of airport capacity," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 36(3), pages 225-238, March.
- Yoshida, Yuichiro & Fujimoto, Hiroyoshi, 2004. "Japanese-airport benchmarking with the DEA and endogenous-weight TFP methods: testing the criticism of overinvestment in Japanese regional airports," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 40(6), pages 533-546, November.
- Nakagawa, Dai & Aoyama, Yoshitaka & Ito, Tadashi & Nishizawa, Hiroyuki, 2005. "Assessment of passenger benefits brought about by international airport projects," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 12(6), pages 512-524, November.
- Shunsuke Managi & David Karemera, 2004. "Input and output biased technological change in US agriculture," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(5), pages 283-286.
- Sarkis, Joseph & Talluri, Srinivas, 2004. "Performance based clustering for benchmarking of US airports," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 38(5), pages 329-346, June.
- Yoshida, Yuichiro, 2004. "Endogenous-weight TFP measurement: methodology and its application to Japanese-airport benchmarking," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 40(2), pages 151-182, March.
- Oum, Tae Hoon & Yu, Chunyan, 2004. "Measuring airports' operating efficiency: a summary of the 2003 ATRS global airport benchmarking report," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 40(6), pages 515-532, November.
- Juan Martín & Concepción Román & Augusto Voltes-Dorta, 2009. "A stochastic frontier analysis to estimate the relative efficiency of Spanish airports," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 31(3), pages 163-176, June.
- Pestana Barros, Carlos & Dieke, Peter U.C., 2007. "Performance evaluation of Italian airports: A data envelopment analysis," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 184-191.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:trapol:v:17:y:2010:i:4:p:259-265. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.