Multi-criterion models for higher education administration
During the past two and a half decades, there has been a steady growth in the number of methods for assisting decision making with multiple objectives. These methods, generally known as multiple criteria decision making (MCDM) methods, have found their applications in a number of areas. Specifically, this paper provides a survey of the reported applications of MCDM methods in higher education administration. Articles appearing since 1972 are analysed and classified according to the primary purpose of the application. It is observed that resource allocation has been the most significant reason for MCDM applications in higher education administration, followed by planning, evaluation and other purposes. Further, this review shows that future research can be focused on the area of scheduling (particularly timetabling) development. The other research possibility is the usage of MCDM models at the federal and state government administration levels.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 24 (1996)
Issue (Month): 2 (April)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/375/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gustave J. Rath, 1968. "Management Science in University Operation," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 14(6), pages B373-B384, February.
- Albright, S. Christian, 1975. "Allocation of research grants to university research proposals," Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 9(5), pages 189-195, October.
- David S. P. Hopkins & Jean-Claude Larréché & William F. Massy, 1977. "Constrained Optimization of a University Administrator's Preference Function," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 24(4), pages 365-377, December.
- Ceylan, Demet & Saatcioglu, Omer & Sepil, Canan, 1994. "An algorithm for the committee construction problem," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 77(1), pages 60-69, August.
- Donald A. Wehrung & David S. P. Hopkins & William F. Massy, 1978. "Interactive Preference Optimization for University Administrators," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 24(6), pages 599-611, February.
- Stewart, TJ, 1992. "A critical survey on the status of multiple criteria decision making theory and practice," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 20(5-6), pages 569-586.
- White, Gregory P, 1987. "The implementation of management science in higher education administration," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 15(4), pages 283-290.
- Lootsma, F. A., 1980. "Saaty's priority theory and the nomination of a senior professor in operations Research," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 4(6), pages 380-388, June.
- A. M. Geoffrion & J. S. Dyer & A. Feinberg, 1972. "An Interactive Approach for Multi-Criterion Optimization, with an Application to the Operation of an Academic Department," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 19(4-Part-1), pages 357-368, December.
- Current, John & Marsh, Michael, 1993. "Multiobjective transportation network design and routing problems: Taxonomy and annotation," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 65(1), pages 4-19, February.
- Boussofiane, A. & Dyson, R. G. & Thanassoulis, E., 1991. "Applied data envelopment analysis," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 52(1), pages 1-15, May.
- Cheung, Yan-Leung, 1994. "Categorical criteria values: Correspondence analysis," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 22(4), pages 371-380, July.
- Soyibo, Adedoyin & Lee, Sang M., 1986. "A multiobjective planning model for university resource allocation," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 168-178, October.
- Davey, Anne & Olson, David & Wallenius, Jyrki, 1994. "The process of multiattribute decision making: A case study of selecting applicants for a Ph.D. program," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 72(3), pages 469-484, February.
- Arbel, Ami, 1983. "A university budget problem: a priority-based approach," Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 17(4), pages 181-189.
- van Huylenbroeck, G., 1995. "The conflict analysis method: bridging the gap between ELECTRE, PROMETHEE and ORESTE," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 82(3), pages 490-502, May.
- Gerald W. Evans, 1984. "An Overview of Techniques for Solving Multiobjective Mathematical Programs," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 30(11), pages 1268-1282, November.
- Mulvey, John M., 1982. "A classroom/time assignment model," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 64-70, January.
- E. Ray Canterbery, 1984. "Introduction," Journal of Post Keynesian Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 7(1), pages 4-6, October.
- Zanakis, SH & Kara, A & Sahay, S & Sivasubramaniam, N, 1991. "An analytic evaluation of microcomputer educational OR/MS Software," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 19(6), pages 639-649.
- Stewart, TJ, 1994. "Data envelopment analysis and multiple criteria decision making: A response," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 205-206, March.
- James S. Dyer & Peter C. Fishburn & Ralph E. Steuer & Jyrki Wallenius & Stanley Zionts, 1992. "Multiple Criteria Decision Making, Multiattribute Utility Theory: The Next Ten Years," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 38(5), pages 645-654, May.
- A. Walters & J. Mangold & E. G. P. Haran, 1976. "A Comprehensive Planning Model for Long-Range Academic Strategies," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 22(7), pages 727-738, March.
- Mingers, J. & O'Brien, F. A., 1995. "Creating student groups with similar characteristics: A heuristic approach," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 23(3), pages 313-321, June.
- Roger G. Schroeder, 1973. "A Survey of Management Science in University Operations," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 19(8), pages 895-906, April.
- Larry Ritzman & John Bradford & Robert Jacobs, 1979. "A Multiple Objective Approach to Space Planning for Academic Facilities," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 25(9), pages 895-906, September.
- Sang M. Lee & Edward R. Clayton, 1972. "A Goal Programming Model for Academic Resource Allocation," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 18(8), pages B395-B408, April.
- Swenson, PA & McCahon, CS, 1991. "A MADM justification of a budget reduction decision," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 19(6), pages 539-548.
- Doyle, J & Green, R, 1993. "Data envelopment analysis and multiple criteria decision making," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 21(6), pages 713-715, November.
- Beasley, J. E., 1990. "Comparing university departments," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 171-183.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jomega:v:24:y:1996:i:2:p:167-178. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.