Economic benefits of management reform in the northern Gulf of Mexico reef fish fishery
Controlled access management in the northern Gulf of Mexico commercial reef fish fishery has not achieved key management objectives. We estimate the economic benefits of replacing controlled access with tradable harvest permits. Results suggest that eliminating market gluts caused by periodic seasonal closures could have raised revenues by $3.206m in 1993, the year of our data. Eliminating per-trip catch limits and seasonal closures could have reduced harvest costs by $8.078m. The total 1993 potential benefits, at $11.284m, suggest property rights-based management is an attractive alternative for the northern Gulf reef fish fishery.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Segerson, Kathleen & Squires, Dale, 1990. "On the measurement of economic capacity utilization for multi-product industries," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 44(3), pages 347-361, June.
- Parzival Copes, 1986. "A Critical Review of the Individual Quota as a Device in Fisheries Management," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 62(3), pages 278-291.
- Quinn Weninger, 1998.
"Assessing Efficiency Gains from Individual Transferable Quotas: An Application to the Mid-Atlantic Surf Clam and Ocean Quahog Fishery,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 80(4), pages 750-764.
- Weninger, Quinn, 1998. "Assessing Efficiency Gains From Individual Transferable Quotas: An Application to the Mid-Atlantic Surf Clam and Ocean Quahog Fishery," Staff General Research Papers Archive 5065, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Squires Dale & Alauddin Mohammad & Kirkley James, 1994. "Individual Transferable Quota Markets and Investment Decisions in the Fixed Gear Sablefish Industry," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 185-204, September.
- Grafton, R Quentin & Squires, Dale & Fox, Kevin J, 2000. "Private Property and Economic Efficiency: A Study of a Common-Pool Resource," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 43(2), pages 679-713, October.
- Grafton, R.Q. & Squires, D. & Fox, K.J., 1998. "Private Property and Economic Efficiency: A Study of a Common-Pool Resource," Working Papers 9804e, University of Ottawa, Department of Economics.
- Rolf Färe & Shawna Grosskopf, 2000. "Theory and Application of Directional Distance Functions," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 13(2), pages 93-103, March.
- Dupont, Diane P. & Grafton, R. Quentin & Kirkley, James & Squires, Dale, 2002. "Capacity utilization measures and excess capacity in multi-product privatized fisheries," Resource and Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 193-210, June.
- Chambers, Robert G. & Chung, Yangho & Fare, Rolf, 1996. "Benefit and Distance Functions," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 70(2), pages 407-419, August.
- Squires, Dale & Campbell, Harry & Cunningham, Stephen & Dewees, Christopher & Grafton, R Quentin & Herrick, Samuel F & Kirkley, James & Pascoe, Sean & Salvanes, Kjell & Shallard, Bruce & Turris, Bruce, 1998. "Individual transferable quotas in multispecies fisheries," Marine Policy, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 135-159, March. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)