Economic Benefits of Management Reform in the Northern Gulf of Mexico Reef Fish Fishery
Controlled access management in the northern Gulf of Mexico commercial reef fish fishery has not achieved key management objectives. We estimate the economic benefits of replacing controlled access with tradable harvest permits. Results suggest that eliminating market gluts caused by periodic seasonal closures could have raised revenues by $3.206m in 1993, the year of our data. Eliminating per-trip catch limits and seasonal closures could have reduced harvest costs by $8.078m. The total 1993 potential benefits, at $11.284m, suggest property rights-based management is an attractive alternative for the northern Gulf reef fish fishery.
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
|Date of creation:||01 Sep 2003|
|Publication status:||Published in Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, September 2003, vol. 46 no. 2, pp. 207-230|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Iowa State University, Dept. of Economics, 260 Heady Hall, Ames, IA 50011-1070|
Phone: +1 515.294.6741
Fax: +1 515.294.0221
Web page: http://www.econ.iastate.edu
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Grafton, R Quentin & Squires, Dale & Fox, Kevin J, 2000.
"Private Property and Economic Efficiency: A Study of a Common-Pool Resource,"
Journal of Law and Economics,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 43(2), pages 679-713, October.
- Grafton, R.Q. & Squires, D. & Fox, K.J., 1998. "Private Property and Economic Efficiency: A Study of a Common-Pool Resource," Working Papers 9804e, University of Ottawa, Department of Economics.
- Squires, Dale & Campbell, Harry & Cunningham, Stephen & Dewees, Christopher & Grafton, R Quentin & Herrick, Samuel F & Kirkley, James & Pascoe, Sean & Salvanes, Kjell & Shallard, Bruce & Turris, Bruce, 1998. "Individual transferable quotas in multispecies fisheries," Marine Policy, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 135-159, March.
- Segerson, Kathleen & Squires, Dale, 1990. "On the measurement of economic capacity utilization for multi-product industries," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 44(3), pages 347-361, June.
- Rolf Färe & Shawna Grosskopf, 2000. "Theory and Application of Directional Distance Functions," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 13(2), pages 93-103, March.
- Squires Dale & Alauddin Mohammad & Kirkley James, 1994. "Individual Transferable Quota Markets and Investment Decisions in the Fixed Gear Sablefish Industry," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 185-204, September.
- Quinn Weninger, 1998.
"Assessing Efficiency Gains from Individual Transferable Quotas: An Application to the Mid-Atlantic Surf Clam and Ocean Quahog Fishery,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 80(4), pages 750-764.
- Weninger, Quinn, 1998. "Assessing Efficiency Gains From Individual Transferable Quotas: An Application to the Mid-Atlantic Surf Clam and Ocean Quahog Fishery," Staff General Research Papers Archive 5065, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Chambers, Robert G. & Chung, Yangho & Fare, Rolf, 1996. "Benefit and Distance Functions," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 70(2), pages 407-419, August.
- Dupont, Diane P. & Grafton, R. Quentin & Kirkley, James & Squires, Dale, 2002. "Capacity utilization measures and excess capacity in multi-product privatized fisheries," Resource and Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 193-210, June.
- Parzival Copes, 1986. "A Critical Review of the Individual Quota as a Device in Fisheries Management," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 62(3), pages 278-291.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:isu:genres:10828. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Curtis Balmer)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.