Estimating Heterogeneous Capacity and Capacity Utilization in a Multi-Species Fishery
We use a stochastic production frontier model to investigate the presence of heterogeneous production and its impact on fleet capacity and capacity utilization in a multi-species fishery. Furthermore, we propose a new fleet capacity estimate that incorporates complete information on the stochastic differences between each vessel-specific technical efficiency distribution. Results indicate that ignoring heterogeneity in production technologies within a multi-species fishery, as well as the complete distribution of a vessel's technical efficiency socre, may yield erroneous fleet-wide production profiles and estimates of capacity. Furthermore, our new estimate of capacity enables out-of-sample production predictions predicated on either homogeneity or heterogeneity modeling which may be utuilized to facilitate policy.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 426 Eggers Hall, Syracuse, New York USA 13244-1020|
Phone: (315) 443-3114
Fax: (315) 443-1081
Web page: http://www.maxwell.syr.edu/cpr.aspx
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tom Kompas & Tuong Nhu Che & R. Quentin Grafton, 2003.
"Technical Efficiency Effects of Input Controls: Evidence from Australia's Banana Prawn Fishery,"
Economics and Environment Network Working Papers
0304, Australian National University, Economics and Environment Network.
- Tom Kompas & Tuong Nhu Che & R. Quentin Grafton, 2004. "Technical efficiency effects of input controls: evidence from Australia's banana prawn fishery," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(15), pages 1631-1641.
- Tom Kompas & Tuong Nhu Che & R. Quentin Grafton, 2003. "Technical efficiency effects of input controls: evidence from Australia's banana prawn fishery," International and Development Economics Working Papers idec03-3, International and Development Economics.
- Alfonso Flores-Lagunes & William C. Horrace & Kurt E. Schnier, 2006.
"Identifying Technically Efficient Fishing Vessels: A Non-Empty, Minimal Subset Approach,"
Center for Policy Research Working Papers
78, Center for Policy Research, Maxwell School, Syracuse University.
- Alfonso Flores-Lagunes & William C. Horrace & Kurt E. Schnier, 2007. "Identifying technically efficient fishing vessels: a non-empty, minimal subset approach," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 22(4), pages 729-745.
- Kenneth E. Train, 1998. "Recreation Demand Models with Taste Differences over People," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 74(2), pages 230-239.
- Aigner, Dennis & Lovell, C. A. Knox & Schmidt, Peter, 1977. "Formulation and estimation of stochastic frontier production function models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 21-37, July.
- Louis Putterman & Christopher M. Anderson, 2003.
"Do Non-strategic Sanctions Obey the Law of Demand? The Demand for Punishment in the Voluntary Contribution Mechanism,"
2003-15, Brown University, Department of Economics.
- Anderson, Christopher M. & Putterman, Louis, 2006. "Do non-strategic sanctions obey the law of demand? The demand for punishment in the voluntary contribution mechanism," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 54(1), pages 1-24, January.
- Provencher, Bill & Bishop, R.C.Richard C., 2004. "Does accounting for preference heterogeneity improve the forecasting of a random utility model? A case study," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 48(1), pages 793-810, July.
- Train,Kenneth E., 2009.
"Discrete Choice Methods with Simulation,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521766555, Junio.
- Horrace, William C., 2005.
"On ranking and selection from independent truncated normal distributions,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 126(2), pages 335-354, June.
- William C. Horrace, 2003. "On Ranking and Selection from Independent Truncated Normal Distributions," Econometrics 0306009, EconWPA.
- Luis Orea & Subal C. Kumbhakar, 2004. "Efficiency measurement using a latent class stochastic frontier model," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 29(1), pages 169-183, January.
- Smith, Martin D., 2005. "State dependence and heterogeneity in fishing location choice," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 50(2), pages 319-340, September.
- Sean Pascoe & Louisa Coglan, 2002. "The Contribution of Unmeasurable Inputs to Fisheries Production: An Analysis of Technical Efficiency of Fishing Vessels in the English Channel," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 84(3), pages 585-597.
- El-Gamal, Mahmoud A. & Grether, David M., 1995. "Are People Bayesian? Uncovering Behavioral Strategies," Working Papers 919, California Institute of Technology, Division of the Humanities and Social Sciences.
- Antonio Alvarez & Peter Schmidt, 2006. "Is skill more important than luck in explaining fish catches?," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 26(1), pages 15-25, August.
- Fare, Rolf & Grosskopf, Shawna & Kokkelenberg, Edward C, 1989. "Measuring Plant Capacity, Utilization and Technical Change: A Nonparametric Approach," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 30(3), pages 655-66, August.
- Schnier, Kurt E. & Anderson, Christopher M., 2006. "Decision making in patchy resource environments: Spatial misperception of bioeconomic models," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 61(2), pages 234-254, October.
- Johan A. Mistiaen & Ivar E. Strand, 2000. "Location Choice of Commercial Fishermen with Heterogeneous Risk Preferences," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 82(5), pages 1184-1190.
- Reid, Christopher & Squires, Dale & Jeon, Yongil & Rodwell, Len & Clarke, Raymond, 2003. "An analysis of fishing capacity in the western and central Pacific Ocean tuna fishery and management implications," Marine Policy, Elsevier, vol. 27(6), pages 449-469, November.
- Weninger, Quinn & Waters, James R., 2003.
"Economic benefits of management reform in the northern Gulf of Mexico reef fish fishery,"
Journal of Environmental Economics and Management,
Elsevier, vol. 46(2), pages 207-230, September.
- Weninger, Quinn & Waters, James R., 2003. "Economic Benefits of Management Reform in the Northern Gulf of Mexico Reef Fish Fishery," Staff General Research Papers Archive 10828, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Kurt E. Schnier & Christopher M. Anderson & William C. Horrace, 2006. "Estimating Heterogeneous Production in Fisheries," Center for Policy Research Working Papers 80, Center for Policy Research, Maxwell School, Syracuse University.
- Ronald G. Felthoven & Catherine J. Morrison Paul, 2004. "Multi-Output, Nonfrontier Primal Measures of Capacity and Capacity Utilization," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 86(3), pages 619-633.
- Riccardo Scarpa & Mara Thiene, 2004. "Destination Choice Models for Rock Climbing in the Northeast Alps: A Latent-Class Approach Based on Intensity of Participation," Working Papers 2004.131, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- James E. Kirkley & Dale Squires & Mohammad Ferdous Alam & Haji Omar Ishak, 2003. "Excess Capacity and Asymmetric Information in Developing Country Fisheries: The Malaysian Purse Seine Fishery," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 85(3), pages 647-662.
- Battese, G E & Coelli, T J, 1995. "A Model for Technical Inefficiency Effects in a Stochastic Frontier Production Function for Panel Data," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 20(2), pages 325-32.
- Greene, William, 2005. "Reconsidering heterogeneity in panel data estimators of the stochastic frontier model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 126(2), pages 269-303, June.
- Battese, George E. & Coelli, Tim J., 1988. "Prediction of firm-level technical efficiencies with a generalized frontier production function and panel data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 38(3), pages 387-399, July.
- Tom Kompas & Tuong Nhu Che, 2003. "Efficiency Gains and Cost Reductions from Individual Transferable Quotas: A Stochastic Cost Frontier for," International and Development Economics Working Papers idec03-6, International and Development Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:max:cprwps:86. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Kelly Bogart)or (Katrina Wingle)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.