Technical efficiency effects of input controls: evidence from Australia's banana prawn fishery
This paper provides the first ex post estimates of the effects of input controls on technical efficiency in a fishery. Using individual vessel data from the northern prawn fishery of Australia for the years 1990-1996 and 1994-2000, stochastic production frontiers are estimated to analyse the efficiency impacts of input controls on engine and vessel size. The results indicate that technical efficiency is increasing in a measure of vessel size and engine capacity that was controlled by the regulator from 1985 to 2001, and decreasing in an unregulated input, gear headrope length. The study shows that fishers have substituted from regulated to unregulated inputs over the period 1990-2000 and technical efficiency has declined coincident with increasing restrictions on vessel size and engine capacity. The decline in technical efficiency indicates that the goal of the regulator to increase economic efficiency has not been realized.
Volume (Year): 36 (2004)
Issue (Month): 15 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEC20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RAEC20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Grafton, R Quentin & Squires, Dale & Fox, Kevin J, 2000.
"Private Property and Economic Efficiency: A Study of a Common-Pool Resource,"
Journal of Law and Economics,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 43(2), pages 679-713, October.
- Grafton, R.Q. & Squires, D. & Fox, K.J., 1998. "Private Property and Economic Efficiency: A Study of a Common-Pool Resource," Working Papers 9804e, University of Ottawa, Department of Economics.
- Battese, G E & Coelli, T J, 1995. "A Model for Technical Inefficiency Effects in a Stochastic Frontier Production Function for Panel Data," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 20(2), pages 325-32.
- Mohammad Ferdous Alam & Ishak Haji Omar & Dale Squires, 2002. "Sustainable fisheries development in the tropics: trawlers and licence limitation in Malaysia," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(3), pages 325-337.
- Battese, George E. & Corra, Greg S., 1977. "Estimation Of A Production Frontier Model: With Application To The Pastoral Zone Of Eastern Australia," Australian Journal of Agricultural Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 21(03), December.
- Campbell, H. F., 1991. "Estimating the elasticity of substitution between restricted and unrestricted inputs in a regulated fishery: A probit approach," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 262-274, May.
- Sean Pascoe & Catherine Robinson, 1998. "Input Controls, Input Substitution and Profit Maximisation in the English Channel Beam Trawl Fishery," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 49(1), pages 16-33.
- Dupont, Diane P., 1990. "Rent dissipation in restricted access fisheries," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 26-44, July.
- Aigner, Dennis & Lovell, C. A. Knox & Schmidt, Peter, 1977. "Formulation and estimation of stochastic frontier production function models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 21-37, July.
- Kumbhakar, Subal C & Ghosh, Soumendra & McGuckin, J Thomas, 1991. "A Generalized Production Frontier Approach for Estimating Determinants of Inefficiency in U.S. Dairy Farms," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 9(3), pages 279-86, July.
- Battese, George E. & Coelli, Tim J., 1988. "Prediction of firm-level technical efficiencies with a generalized frontier production function and panel data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 38(3), pages 387-399, July.
- Kodde, David A & Palm, Franz C, 1986. "Wald Criteria for Jointly Testing Equality and Inequality Restriction s," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 54(5), pages 1243-48, September.
- Meeusen, Wim & van den Broeck, Julien, 1977. "Efficiency Estimation from Cobb-Douglas Production Functions with Composed Error," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 18(2), pages 435-44, June.
- Forsund, Finn R. & Lovell, C. A. Knox & Schmidt, Peter, 1980. "A survey of frontier production functions and of their relationship to efficiency measurement," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 5-25, May.
- Ikerne Del Valle & Inmaculada Astorkiza & Kepa Astorkiza, 2003. "Fishing effort validation and substitution possibilities among components: the case study of the VIII division European anchovy fishery," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 35(1), pages 63-77.
- Sean Pascoe & Louisa Coglan, 2002. "The Contribution of Unmeasurable Inputs to Fisheries Production: An Analysis of Technical Efficiency of Fishing Vessels in the English Channel," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 84(3), pages 585-597.
- Schmidt, Peter & Knox Lovell, C. A., 1979. "Estimating technical and allocative inefficiency relative to stochastic production and cost frontiers," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 9(3), pages 343-366, February.
- Ralph E. Townsend, 1990. "Entry Restrictions in the Fishery: A Survey of the Evidence," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 66(4), pages 359-378.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:applec:v:36:y:2004:i:15:p:1631-1641. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.