Individual Fishing Quotas in the Eastern Gulf of Mexico Grouper Fishery: Fleet Restructuring, Effort Reduction and Cost Savings
This paper estimates a structural model of multiple-species harvesting costs in the eastern Gulf of Mexico reef fish fishery. The calibrated model is used to predict fleet size, vessel-level harvesting activity and fleet-wide revenues and costs that are expected under a proposed individual fishing quota (IFQ) management program for grouper species. Results suggest that significant fleet downsizing, scale economies and pure efficiency gains will emerge under IFQs. Overall, IFQs appear to be an attractive alternative to the current controlled access management program in the fishery.
|Date of creation:||28 Mar 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +1 515.294.6741
Fax: +1 515.294.0221
Web page: http://www.econ.iastate.edu
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Squires, Dale & Campbell, Harry & Cunningham, Stephen & Dewees, Christopher & Grafton, R Quentin & Herrick, Samuel F & Kirkley, James & Pascoe, Sean & Salvanes, Kjell & Shallard, Bruce & Turris, Bruce, 1998. "Individual transferable quotas in multispecies fisheries," Marine Policy, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 135-159, March.
- Smith, Martin D. & Zhang, Junjie & Coleman, Felicia C., 2008. "Econometric modeling of fisheries with complex life histories: Avoiding biological management failures," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 55(3), pages 265-280, May.
- McConnell, Kenneth E. & Price, Michael, 2006. "The lay system in commercial fisheries: Origin and implications," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 51(3), pages 295-307, May.
- Newell, Richard G. & Sanchirico, James N. & Kerr, Suzi, 2005.
"Fishing quota markets,"
Journal of Environmental Economics and Management,
Elsevier, vol. 49(3), pages 437-462, May.
- Weninger, Quinn, 2004.
"Economic Benefits of Management Reform in the Gulf of Mexico Grouper Fishery: A Semi-Parametric Analysis,"
Staff General Research Papers
11178, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Quinn Weninger, 2008. "Economic Benefits of Management Reform in the Gulf of Mexico Grouper Fishery: A Semi-parametric Analysis," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 41(4), pages 479-497, December.
- Weninger, Quinn & Waters, James R., 2003.
"Economic Benefits of Management Reform in the Northern Gulf of Mexico Reef Fish Fishery,"
Staff General Research Papers
10828, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Weninger, Quinn & Waters, James R., 2003. "Economic benefits of management reform in the northern Gulf of Mexico reef fish fishery," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 46(2), pages 207-230, September.
- Weninger, Quinn & Just, Richard E., 1997. "An Analysis of Transition From Limited Entry to Transferable Quota: Non-Marshallian Principles for Fisheries Management," Staff General Research Papers 5225, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:isu:genres:12890. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Stephanie Bridges)The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Stephanie Bridges to update the entry or send us the correct address
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.