Potential Rent and Overcapacity in the Swedish Baltic Sea Trawl Fishery
Many EU fisheries have problems with depleted stocks and fleet overcapacity following from regulated open access regimes. Some EU countries have introduced Individual Vessel Quotas (IVQs), which can stop the race to catch and provide the fishers with incentives to minimize costs for a given catch. We model an IVQ fishery using a cost function approach and apply the methodology to the Swedish cod fishery in the Baltic Sea. We estimate a translog cost function for a data set of Swedish trawlers and assess the potential gains from a structural adjustment of the fleet. Results suggest potential cost savings of SEK 140 millions and a desirable fleet reduction of 25% for the Swedish Baltic Sea cod fishery.
|Date of creation:||10 Dec 2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in ICES Journal of Marine Science, 2007, pages 439-445.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 031-773 10 00
Web page: http://www.handels.gu.se/econ/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Quinn Weninger, 2000.
"Buyback programs in commercial fisheries:efficiency versus transfers,"
Canadian Journal of Economics,
Canadian Economics Association, vol. 33(2), pages 394-412, May.
- Weninger, Quinn & McConnell, K. E., 2000. "Buyback Programs in Commercial Fisheries: Efficiency Versus Transfers," Staff General Research Papers 1834, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Eggert, Hakan & Tveteras, Ragnar, 2001.
"Stochastic Production And Heterogeneous Risk Preferences: Commercial Fishers' Gear Choice,"
2001 Annual meeting, August 5-8, Chicago, IL
20671, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Eggert, Håkan & Tveterås, Ragnar, 2001. "Stochastic Production and Heterogeneous Risk Preferences: Commercial Fishers’ Gear Choices," Working Papers in Economics 54, University of Gothenburg, Department of Economics.
- Weninger, Quinn & Waters, James R., 2003.
"Economic Benefits of Management Reform in the Northern Gulf of Mexico Reef Fish Fishery,"
Staff General Research Papers
10828, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Weninger, Quinn & Waters, James R., 2003. "Economic benefits of management reform in the northern Gulf of Mexico reef fish fishery," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 46(2), pages 207-230, September.
- Robidoux, B. & Lester, J., 1988. "Econometric Estimates Of Scale Economies In Canadian Manufacturing," Working Papers-Department of Finance Canada 1988-4, Department of Finance Canada.
- Homans, Frances R. & Wilen, James E., 1997. "A Model of Regulated Open Access Resource Use," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 1-21, January.
- Barten, A. P., 1969. "Maximum likelihood estimation of a complete system of demand equations," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 7-73.
- Quinn Weninger, 1998.
"Assessing Efficiency Gains from Individual Transferable Quotas: An Application to the Mid-Atlantic Surf Clam and Ocean Quahog Fishery,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 80(4), pages 750-764.
- Weninger, Quinn, 1998. "Assessing Efficiency Gains From Individual Transferable Quotas: An Application to the Mid-Atlantic Surf Clam and Ocean Quahog Fishery," Staff General Research Papers 5065, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Eggert, Håkan & Martinsson, Peter, 2003.
"Are Commercial Fishers Risk Lovers?,"
Working Papers in Economics
90, University of Gothenburg, Department of Economics.
- Scott C. Matulich & Murat Sever, 1999. "Reconsidering the Initial Allocation of ITQs: The Search for a Pareto-Safe Allocation between Fishing and Processing Sectors," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 75(2), pages 203-219.
- Christensen, Laurits R & Greene, William H, 1976. "Economies of Scale in U.S. Electric Power Generation," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 84(4), pages 655-76, August.
- Wilen, James E., 2000. "Renewable Resource Economists and Policy: What Differences Have We Made?," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 39(3), pages 306-327, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:gunwpe:0152. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marie Andersson)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.