How to Resolve the Class II Common Property Problem? The Case of British Columbia's Multi-Species Groundfish Traw
It is 20 years since Munro and Scott identified the causes and possible remedies for the dissipation of rents in fisheries. We analyse one of the solutions proposed by Munro and Scott by using insights from the British Columbia multi-species groundfish trawl fishery that has used ITQs since 1997. The history of this fishery shows that even the most difficult management problems including by-catch, equity concerns, concentration of quota holdings and vessel overages can be mitigated with the appropriate mix of incentives, monitoring and enforcement.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://een.anu.edu.au/|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Weninger, Quinn, 1998.
"Assessing Efficiency Gains From Individual Transferable Quotas: An Application to the Mid-Atlantic Surf Clam and Ocean Quahog Fishery,"
Staff General Research Papers
5065, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Quinn Weninger, 1998. "Assessing Efficiency Gains from Individual Transferable Quotas: An Application to the Mid-Atlantic Surf Clam and Ocean Quahog Fishery," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 80(4), pages 750-764.
- Squires, Dale & Campbell, Harry & Cunningham, Stephen & Dewees, Christopher & Grafton, R Quentin & Herrick, Samuel F & Kirkley, James & Pascoe, Sean & Salvanes, Kjell & Shallard, Bruce & Turris, Bruce, 1998. "Individual transferable quotas in multispecies fisheries," Marine Policy, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 135-159, March.
- Grafton, R Quentin & Squires, Dale & Fox, Kevin J, 2000.
"Private Property and Economic Efficiency: A Study of a Common-Pool Resource,"
Journal of Law and Economics,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 43(2), pages 679-713, October.
- Grafton, R.Q. & Squires, D. & Fox, K.J., 1998. "Private Property and Economic Efficiency: A Study of a Common-Pool Resource," Working Papers 9804e, University of Ottawa, Department of Economics.
- Kevin J. Fox & R. Quentin Grafton & James Kirkley & Dale Squires, 2002.
"Property Rights in a Fishery: Regulatory Change and Firm Performance,"
Economics and Environment Network Working Papers
0205, Australian National University, Economics and Environment Network.
- Fox, Kevin J. & Grafton, R. Quentin & Kirkley, James & Squires, Dale, 2003. "Property rights in a fishery: regulatory change and firm performance," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 46(1), pages 156-177, July.
- Munro, Gordon R. & Scott, Anthony D., 1985. "The economics of fisheries management," Handbook of Natural Resource and Energy Economics, in: A. V. Kneese† & J. L. Sweeney (ed.), Handbook of Natural Resource and Energy Economics, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 14, pages 623-676 Elsevier.
- Boyce, John R., 1996. "An Economic Analysis of the Fisheries Bycatch Problem," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 314-336, November.
- Grafton, R.Q., 1993.
"Rent Capture in a Right Based Fishery,"
9306e, University of Ottawa, Department of Economics.
- Kohli, Ulrich, 1983. "Non-Joint Technologies," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 50(1), pages 209-19, January.
- Parzival Copes, 1986. "A Critical Review of the Individual Quota as a Device in Fisheries Management," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 62(3), pages 278-291.
- Turner, Matthew A., 1997. "Quota-Induced Discarding in Heterogeneous Fisheries," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 186-195, June.
- Squires, Dale & Kirkley, James, 1991. "Production quota in multiproduct pacific fisheries," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 109-126, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:anu:eenwps:0506. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jack Pezzey)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.