The triple bottom line: Meeting ecological, economic and social goals with individual transferable quotas
This paper deals with the sustainable management of a renewable resource based on individual and transferable quotas (ITQs) when agents differ in terms of harvesting costs or catch capability. In a dynamic bio-economic model, we determine the feasibility conditions under which a fishery manager can achieve sustainability objectives which simultaneously account for stock conservation, economic efficiency and maintenance of fishing activity for the agents along time. We show how the viability of quota management strategies based on ITQ depends on the degree of heterogeneity of users in the fishery, the current status and the dynamics of the stock together with the selection of TAC schedules. In particular for a given stock, we compute the maximin effort for a given set of agents and we derive the maximal number of active agents for a given guaranteed effort. An application to the nephrops fishery in the Bay of Biscay illustrates the results.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 63 (2012)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/622870|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Martinet, Vincent, 2011. "A characterization of sustainability with indicators," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 61(2), pages 183-197, March.
- Newell, Richard G. & Sanchirico, James N. & Kerr, Suzi, 2005.
"Fishing quota markets,"
Journal of Environmental Economics and Management,
Elsevier, vol. 49(3), pages 437-462, May.
- Kerr, Suzi & Sanchirico, James & Newell, Richard, 2002. "Fishing Quota Markets," Discussion Papers dp-02-20, Resources For the Future.
- Tom Kompas & Tuong Nhu Che & R. Quentin Grafton, 2004. "Technical efficiency effects of input controls: evidence from Australia's banana prawn fishery," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(15), pages 1631-1641.
- Tom Kompas & Tuong Nhu Che & R. Quentin Grafton, 2003. "Technical efficiency effects of input controls: evidence from Australia's banana prawn fishery," International and Development Economics Working Papers idec03-3, International and Development Economics.
- Tom Kompas & Tuong Nhu Che & R. Quentin Grafton, 2003. "Technical Efficiency Effects of Input Controls: Evidence from Australia's Banana Prawn Fishery," Economics and Environment Network Working Papers 0304, Australian National University, Economics and Environment Network.
- Claire Macher & Olivier Guyader & Catherine Talidec & M. Bertignac, 2008. "A cost–benefit analysis of improving trawl selectivity in the case of discards: The Nephrops norvegicus fishery in the Bay of Biscay," Post-Print hal-00359860, HAL.
- Baumgärtner, Stefan & Quaas, Martin F., 2009. "Ecological-economic viability as a criterion of strong sustainability under uncertainty," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 68(7), pages 2008-2020, May.
- Stefan Baumgärtner & Martin F. Quaas, 2007. "Ecological-economic viability as a criterion of strong sustainability under uncertainty," Working Paper Series in Economics 67, University of Lüneburg, Institute of Economics.
- Martinet, V. & Doyen, L., 2007. "Sustainability of an economy with an exhaustible resource: A viable control approach," Resource and Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 17-39, January.
- Vincent Martinet & Luc Doyen, 2007. "Sustainability of an economy with an exhaustible resource: A viable control approach," Post-Print hal-01186925, HAL.
- repec:eee:ecomod:v:208:y:2007:i:2:p:353-366 is not listed on IDEAS
- Martinet, Vincent & Thebaud, Olivier & Doyen, Luc, 2007. "Defining viable recovery paths toward sustainable fisheries," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 64(2), pages 411-422, December.
- Vincent Martinet & Olivier Thébaud & Luc Doyen, 2007. "Defining viable recovery path toward sustainable fisheries," Post-Print hal-01186921, HAL.
- Heaps, Terry, 2003. "The effects on welfare of the imposition of individual transferable quotas on a heterogeneous fishing fleet," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 46(3), pages 557-576, November.
- Grafton, R Quentin & Squires, Dale & Fox, Kevin J, 2000. "Private Property and Economic Efficiency: A Study of a Common-Pool Resource," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 43(2), pages 679-713, October.
- Grafton, R.Q. & Squires, D. & Fox, K.J., 1998. "Private Property and Economic Efficiency: A Study of a Common-Pool Resource," Working Papers 9804e, University of Ottawa, Department of Economics.
- Olivier Guyader, 2002. "Simulating the Effect of Regulatory Systems in a Fishery, An Application to the French Driftnet Albacore Fleet," Environmental & Resource Economics, Springer;European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 23(1), pages 1-28, September.
- Tom Kompas & Tuong Che, 2005. "Efficiency Gains and Cost Reductions from Individual Transferable Quotas: A Stochastic Cost Frontier for the Australian South East Fishery," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 23(3), pages 285-307, July.
- Kompas, Tom & Che, Tuong Nhu, 2003. "Efficiency Gains and Cost Reductions from Individual Transferable Quotas: A Stochastic Cost Frontier for the Australian South East Fishery," 2003 Conference (47th), February 12-14, 2003, Fremantle, Australia 57907, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Bene, C. & Doyen, L. & Gabay, D., 2001. "A viability analysis for a bio-economic model," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(3), pages 385-396, March.
- Doyen, Luc & Péreau, Jean-Christophe, 2012. "Sustainable coalitions in the commons," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 63(1), pages 57-64.
- Luc DOYEN (CNRS - CERSP) & Jean-Christophe PEREAU (GREThA UMR CNRS 5113), 2009. "Sustainable coalitions in the commons," Cahiers du GREThA 2009-15, Groupe de Recherche en Economie Théorique et Appliquée.
- Luc Doyen & Jean-Christophe Pereau, 2012. "Sustainable coalitions in the commons," Post-Print hal-00745891, HAL.
- Jean-Christophe Pereau, 2010. "Sustainable coalitions in the commons," Post-Print hal-00645728, HAL.
- Parzival Copes, 1986. "A Critical Review of the Individual Quota as a Device in Fisheries Management," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 62(3), pages 278-291.
- R. Quentin Grafton & Ragnar Arnason & Trond Bjorndal & David Campbell & Harry F. Campbell & Colin W. Clark & Robin Connor & Diane P. Dupont & Rognvaldur Hannesson & Ray Hilborn & James E. Kirkley & To, 2005. "Incentive-based approaches to sustainable fisheries," Economics and Environment Network Working Papers 0508, Australian National University, Economics and Environment Network.
- Grafton, Quentin R. & Arnason, Ragnar & Bjorndal, Trond & Campbell, David & Campbell, Harry F. & Clark, Colin W. & Connor, Robin & Dupont, Diane P. & Hannesson, Rognvaldur & Hillborn, Ray & Kirkley, J, 2006. "Incentive-Based Approaches to Sustainable Fisheries," Staff General Research Papers Archive 12766, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Katell Hamon & Olivier Thébaud & Stewart Frusher & L. Richard Little, 2009. "A retrospective analysis of the effects of adopting individual transferable quotas in the Tasmanian red rock lobster, Jasus edwardsii, fishery," Post-Print hal-00511501, HAL.
- Squires Dale & Alauddin Mohammad & Kirkley James, 1994. "Individual Transferable Quota Markets and Investment Decisions in the Fixed Gear Sablefish Industry," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 185-204, September.
- Hatcher, Aaron, 2005. "Non-compliance and the quota price in an ITQ fishery," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 49(3), pages 427-436, May.
- Homans, Frances R. & Wilen, James E., 1997. "A Model of Regulated Open Access Resource Use," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 1-21, January.
- Pinkerton, Evelyn & Edwards, Danielle N., 2009. "The elephant in the room: The hidden costs of leasing individual transferable fishing quotas," Marine Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(4), pages 707-713, July.
- H. Scott Gordon, 1954. "The Economic Theory of a Common-Property Resource: The Fishery," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 62, pages 124-124.
- Guyader, Olivier & Thébaud, Olivier, 2001. "Distributional issues in the operation of rights-based fisheries management systems," Marine Policy, Elsevier, vol. 25(2), pages 103-112, March.
- Boyce, John R., 2004. "Instrument choice in a fishery," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 47(1), pages 183-206, January. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)