Deciphering antecedents of organizational innovation
This study investigates antecedents of organizational innovation in firms. The study elaborates on Mol and Birkinshaw's (2009) model by additionally accounting for organizational innovation as a source of sustainable competitive advantage. Based on a large sample of German firms drawn from the 2005 “Community Innovation Survey” (CIS IV), the empirical results significantly contrast those by Mol and Birkinshaw; the data corroborate neither reference group-theory, nor the knowledge search-perspective as adequate accounts for the adoption of organizational innovation by German firms. Instead, the firms' competitive environment is significant in predicting adoption behavior.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Raymond Wladimir & Mohnen Pierre & Palm Franz & Schim van der Loeff Sybrand, 2006.
"Persistence of Innovation in Dutch Manufacturing: Is it Spurious?,"
009, Maastricht University, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization (METEOR).
- Wladimir Raymond & Pierre Mohnen & Franz Palm & Sybrand Schim van der Loeff, 2010. "Persistence of Innovation in Dutch Manufacturing: Is It Spurious?," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 92(3), pages 495-504, August.
- Wladimir Raymond & Pierre Mohnen & Franz Palm & Sybrand Schim van der Loeff, 2006. "Persistence of Innovation in Dutch Manufacturing: Is it Spurious?," CIRANO Working Papers 2006s-04, CIRANO.
- Wladimir Raymond & Pierre Mohnen & Franz Palm & Sybrand Schim van der Loeff, 2006. "Persistence of Innovation in Dutch Manufacturing: Is it Spurious?," CESifo Working Paper Series 1681, CESifo Group Munich.
- Mohnen, Pierre & Schim van der Loeff, S. & Palm, Franz & Raymond, Wladimir, 2006. "Persistence of Innovation in Dutch Manufacturing: Is it Spurious?," MERIT Working Papers 011, United Nations University - Maastricht Economic and Social Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- Da Silveira, Giovani & Borenstein, Denis & Fogliatto, Flavio S., 2001. "Mass customization: Literature review and research directions," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 72(1), pages 1-13, June.
- James Love & Stephen Roper, 2009. "Organizing the Innovation Process: Complementarities in Innovation Networking," Industry and Innovation, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(3), pages 273-290.
- Mol, Michael J. & Birkinshaw, Julian, 2009. "The sources of management innovation: When firms introduce new management practices," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 62(12), pages 1269-1280, December.
- Seyed M. Iravani & Mark P. Van Oyen & Katharine T. Sims, 2005. "Structural Flexibility: A New Perspective on the Design of Manufacturing and Service Operations," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 51(2), pages 151-166, February.
- Mendelson, Haim & Pillai, Ravindran R., 1999. "Information Age organizations, dynamics and performance," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 38(3), pages 253-281, March.
- Aschhoff, Birgit & Blind, Knut & Ebersberger, Bernd & Fraaß, Benjamin & Rammer, Christian & Schmidt, Tobias, 2007. "Schwerpunktbericht zur Innovationserhebung 2005: Bericht an das Bundesministerium für Bildung und Forschung (BMBF)," ZEW Dokumentationen 07-03, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Robert Jensen & Gabriel Szulanski, 2004. "Stickiness and the adaptation of organizational practices in cross-border knowledge transfers," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 35(6), pages 508-523, November.
- Kenneth E. Knight, 1967. "A Descriptive Model of the Intra-Firm Innovation Process," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 40, pages 478-478.
- Marc Rysman & Tim Simcoe, 2005.
"Patents and the Performance of Voluntary Standard Setting Organizations,"
05-22, NET Institute, revised Oct 2005.
- Marc Rysman & Timothy Simcoe, 2008. "Patents and the Performance of Voluntary Standard-Setting Organizations," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 54(11), pages 1920-1934, November.
- Rysman, Marc & Simcoe, Tim, 2009. "Patents and the Performance of Voluntary Standard Setting Organizations," PIE/CIS Discussion Paper 418, Center for Intergenerational Studies, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Faber, Jan & Hesen, Anneloes Barbara, 2004. "Innovation capabilities of European nations: Cross-national analyses of patents and sales of product innovations," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 193-207, March.
- Paola Criscuolo & Rajneesh Narula, 2008.
"A novel approach to national technological accumulation and absorptive capacity: aggregating Cohen and Levinthal,"
The European Journal of Development Research,
Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 20(1), pages 56-73.
- Narula Rajneesh & Criscuolo Paola, 2002. "A novel approach to national technological accumulation and absorptive capacity: Aggregating Cohen and Levinthal," Research Memorandum 018, Maastricht University, Maastricht Economic Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- Jasjit Singh, 2005. "Collaborative Networks as Determinants of Knowledge Diffusion Patterns," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 51(5), pages 756-770, May.
- Paul Osterman, 1994. "How Common is Workplace Transformation and Who Adopts it?," ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 47(2), pages 173-188, January.
- Love, James H. & Roper, Stephen, 2001. "Location and network effects on innovation success: evidence for UK, German and Irish manufacturing plants," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 30(4), pages 643-661, April.
- Coriat, Benjamin & Weinstein, Olivier, 2002. "Organizations, firms and institutions in the generation of innovation," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 273-290, February.
- Cefis, Elena & Orsenigo, Luigi, 2001. "The persistence of innovative activities: A cross-countries and cross-sectors comparative analysis," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 30(7), pages 1139-1158, August.
- repec:dau:papers:123456789/10093 is not listed on IDEAS
- Edward C. Norton & Hua Wang & Chunrong Ai, 2004. "Computing interaction effects and standard errors in logit and probit models," Stata Journal, StataCorp LP, vol. 4(2), pages 154-167, June.
- repec:dau:papers:123456789/10092 is not listed on IDEAS
- Geoff Mason & Karin Wagner, 1999. "Knowledge Transfer and Innovation in Germany and Britain: 'Intermediate Institution' Models of Knowledge Transfer under Strain?," Industry and Innovation, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 6(1), pages 85-109.
- Furman, Jeffrey L. & Porter, Michael E. & Stern, Scott, 2002. "The determinants of national innovative capacity," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(6), pages 899-933, August.
- Jacques Mairesse & Pierre Mohnen, 2002. "Accounting for Innovation and Measuring Innovativeness: An Illustrative Framework and an Application," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 92(2), pages 226-230, May.
- Stephen P. Borgatti & Rob Cross, 2003. "A Relational View of Information Seeking and Learning in Social Networks," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 49(4), pages 432-445, April.
- Fariborz Damanpour & Richard M. Walker & Claudia N. Avellaneda, 2009. "Combinative Effects of Innovation Types and Organizational Performance: A Longitudinal Study of Service Organizations," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 46(4), pages 650-675, 06.
- Caroli, Eve & Greenan, Nathalie & Guellec, Dominique, 2001. "Organizational Change and Skill Accumulation," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 10(2), pages 481-506, June.
- Keld Laursen & Volker Mahnke, "undated".
"Knowledge strategies, firm types, and complementarity in human-resource practices,"
IVS/CBS Working Papers
00-8, Department of Industrial Economics and Strategy, Copenhagen Business School.
- Keld Laursen & Volker Mahnke, 2001. "Knowledge Strategies, Firm Types, and Complementarity in Human-Resource Practices," Journal of Management & Governance, Springer;Accademia Italiana di Economia Aziendale (AIDEA), vol. 5(1), pages 1-27, March.
- John Bell & Brian den Ouden & Gerrit Willem Ziggers, 2006. "Dynamics of Cooperation: At the Brink of Irrelevance," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 43(7), pages 1607-1619, November.
- Ichniowski, Casey & Shaw, Kathryn & Prennushi, Giovanna, 1997. "The Effects of Human Resource Management Practices on Productivity: A Study of Steel Finishing Lines," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 87(3), pages 291-313, June.
- Eve Caroli & John Van Reenen, 2001.
"Skill-Biased Organizational Change? Evidence from A Panel of British and French Establishments,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 116(4), pages 1449-1492.
- Caroli, Eve & Van Reenen, John, 1999. "Skill biased organizational change? Evidence from a panel of British and French establishments," CEPREMAP Working Papers (Couverture Orange) 9917, CEPREMAP.
- Ai, Chunrong & Norton, Edward C., 2003. "Interaction terms in logit and probit models," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 80(1), pages 123-129, July.
- Carlsson, Bo, 2006. "Internationalization of innovation systems: A survey of the literature," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 56-67, February.
- Mats Alvesson, 2001. "Odd Couple: Making Sense of the Curious Concept of Knowledge Management," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 38(7), pages 995-1018, November.
- Roper, Stephen & Hewitt-Dundas, Nola, 2008. "Innovation persistence: Survey and case-study evidence," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 149-162, February.
- Fariborz Damanpour, 1996. "Organizational Complexity and Innovation: Developing and Testing Multiple Contingency Models," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 42(5), pages 693-716, May.
- David J. Teece, 1980. "The Diffusion of an Administrative Innovation," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 26(5), pages 464-470, May.
- Kogut, Bruce & Parkinson, David, 1998. "Adoption of the Multidivisional Structure: Analyzing History from the Start," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 7(2), pages 249-273, June.
- Brian Cozzarin & Jennifer Percival, 2006. "Complementarities between organisational strategies and innovation," Economics of Innovation and New Technology, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(3), pages 195-217.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jbrese:v:66:y:2013:i:5:p:575-584. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.