Capital requirement and financial crisis: The case of Japan and the 1997 Asian crisis
This study investigates the direct link between the implementation of the 1988 Basel capital requirement in Japan and the shrinkage of banks' foreign assets, particularly in Thailand in the 1990s. The empirical analysis proceeds in two stages. The first stage investigates the hypothesis that the capital crunch in Japan induced Japanese banks to alter their portfolios and reduce their foreign assets. The second step tests the hypothesis that the change in behaviour of the Japanese banks induced the increase of the probability of financial crisis in Asia. Our results support the responsibility of the Japanese capital requirement, among other factors, in triggering the 1997 Asian financial crisis as an external common shock and give a new angle on the financial crisis literature.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Concetta Chiuri, Maria & Ferri, Giovanni & Majnoni, Giovanni, 2002.
"The macroeconomic impact of bank capital requirements in emerging economies: Past evidence to assess the future,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 26(5), pages 881-904, May.
- Maria Concetta Chiuri & Giovanni Ferri & Giovanni Majnoni, 2000. "The Macroeconomic Impact Of Bank Capital Requirements In Emerging Economies: Past Evidence To Assess The Future," series 0002, Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Metodi Matematici - Università di Bari, revised Sep 2000.
- Chiuri, Maria Concetta & Ferri, Giovanni & Majnoni, Giovanni, 2001. "The macroeconomic impact of bank capital requirements in emerging economies - past evidence to assess the future," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2605, The World Bank.
- Joe Peek & Eric S. Rosengren, 1996.
"The international transmission of financial shocks: the case of Japan,"
96-1, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston.
- Peek, Joe & Rosengren, Eric S, 1997. "The International Transmission of Financial Shocks: The Case of Japan," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 87(4), pages 495-505, September.
- Joe Peek & Eric S. Rosengren, 1996. "The International Transmission of Financial Shocks: The Case of Japan," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 357, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Kirstein, Roland, 2000.
"The New Basle Accord, Internal Ratings, and the Incentives of Banks,"
CSLE Discussion Paper Series
2000-06, Saarland University, CSLE - Center for the Study of Law and Economics.
- Kirstein, Roland, 2002. "The new Basle Accord, internal ratings, and the incentives of banks," International Review of Law and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(4), pages 393-412, May.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Graciela L. Kaminsky, 1999.
"The Twin Crises: The Causes of Banking and Balance-of-Payments Problems,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 89(3), pages 473-500, June.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Kaminsky, Graciela, 1999. "The twin crises: The causes of banking and balance of payments problems," MPRA Paper 14081, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Graciela L. Kaminsky & Carmen M. Reinhart, 1996. "The twin crises: the causes of banking and balance-of-payments problems," International Finance Discussion Papers 544, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Peek, Joe & Rosengren, Eric, 1995.
"Bank regulation and the credit crunch,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 19(3-4), pages 679-692, June.
- Hall, B.J., 1993. "How Has the Basle Accord Affected Bank Portfolios?," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1642, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Takatoshi Ito & Yuri Nagataki Sasaki, 1998.
"Impacts of the Basle Capital Standard on Japanese Banks' Behavior,"
Discussion Paper Series
a356, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Ito, Takatoshi & Sasaki, Yuri Nagataki, 2002. "Impacts of the Basle Capital Standard on Japanese Banks' Behavior," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 372-397, September.
- Takatoshi Ito & Yuri Nagatake Sasaki, 1998. "Impacts of the Basle Capital Standard on Japanese Banks' Behavior," NBER Working Papers 6730, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Montgomery, Heather, 2005. "The effect of the Basel Accord on bank portfolios in Japan," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 24-36, March.
- Altman, Edward I. & Saunders, Anthony, 2001. "An analysis and critique of the BIS proposal on capital adequacy and ratings," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 25-46, January.
- Altman, Edward I. & Bharath, Sreedhar T. & Saunders, Anthony, 2002. "Credit ratings and the BIS capital adequacy reform agenda," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(5), pages 909-921, May.
- Pavan Ahluwalia, 1999. "Discriminating Contagion; An Alternative Explanation of Contagious Currency Crises in Emerging Markets," IMF Working Papers 00/14, International Monetary Fund.
- Natalia T. Tamirisa, 2004. "Do Macroeconomic Effects of Capital Controls Vary by their Type? Evidence From Malaysia," IMF Working Papers 04/3, International Monetary Fund.
- Steven Radelet & Jeffrey Sachs, 1998. "The Onset of the East Asian Financial Crisis," NBER Working Papers 6680, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kaminsky, Graciela L. & Reinhart, Carmen M., 2000.
"On crises, contagion, and confusion,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 51(1), pages 145-168, June.
- Yuzo Honda, 2002. "The effects of the Basle accord on bank credit: the case of Japan," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(10), pages 1233-1239.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:japwor:v:21:y:2009:i:1:p:97-104. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.