Impacts of the Basle Capital Standard on Japanese Banks' Behavior
This paper examines how the risk-based capital standards, the so-called Basle Accord, influenced 87 major Japanese major Japanese banks' behavior between 1990 and 1993. As the Japanese stock prices fell, banks' latent capital gains, which is part of tier II capital became smaller. Empirical findings are consistent with a view that banks with lower capital ratios tended to issue more subordinated debts (tier II) and to reduce lending (risk assets).
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 16 (2002)
Issue (Month): 3 (September)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/622903|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hall, B.J., 1993. "How Has the Basle Accord Affected Bank Portfolios?," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1642, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Joe Peek & Eric S. Rosengren, 1996.
"The International Transmission of Financial Shocks: The Case of Japan,"
Boston College Working Papers in Economics
357, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Peek, Joe & Rosengren, Eric S, 1997. "The International Transmission of Financial Shocks: The Case of Japan," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 87(4), pages 495-505, September.
- Joe Peek & Eric S. Rosengren, 1996. "The international transmission of financial shocks: the case of Japan," Working Papers 96-1, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston.
- Allan D. Brunner & Steven B. Kamin, 1995.
"Bank lending and economic activity in Japan: did "financial factors" contribute to the recent downturn?,"
International Finance Discussion Papers
513, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Brunner, Allan D & Kamin, Steven B, 1998. "Bank Lending and Economic Activity in Japan: Did 'Financial Factors' Contribute to the Recent Downturn?," International Journal of Finance & Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 3(1), pages 73-89, January.
- Brinkmann, Emile J & Horvitz, Paul M, 1995. "Risk-Based Capital Standards and the Credit Crunch," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 27(3), pages 848-63, August.
- Joe Peek & Eric S. Rosengren, 1992. "The role of real estate in the New England credit crunch," Working Papers 92-4, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston.
- Joe Peek & Eric Rosengren, 1993.
"The Capital Crunch: Neither A Borrower Nor A Lender Be,"
Boston College Working Papers in Economics
243, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Peek, Joe & Rosengren, Eric, 1995. "The Capital Crunch: Neither a Borrower nor a Lender Be," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 27(3), pages 625-38, August.
- Joe Peek & Eric S. Rosengren, 1991. "The capital crunch: neither a borrower nor a lender be," Working Papers 91-4, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston.
- Pettway, Richard H. & Kaneko, Takashi & Young, Michael T., 1991. "International bank capital standards and the costs of issuing capital securities by Japanese banks," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 559-580, June.
- Sun Bae Kim & Ramon Moreno, 1994.
"Stock prices and bank lending behavior in Japan,"
Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, pages 31-42.
- Joseph G. Haubrich & Paul Wachtel, 1993. "Capital requirements and shifts in commercial bank portfolios," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland, issue Q III, pages 2-15.
- Hall Brian J., 1993. "How Has the Basle Accord Affected Bank Portfolios?," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 7(4), pages 408-440, December.
- Anthony P. Rodrigues, 1993. "Government securities investments of commercial banks," Quarterly Review, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, issue Sum, pages 39-53.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jjieco:v:16:y:2002:i:3:p:372-397. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.