Risk, capital buffer and bank lending: a granular approach to the adjustment of euro area banks
We develop a partial adjustment model in order to estimate the factors contributing to banks’ internal target capital ratio, lending policy and holding of securities. The model is estimated on a panel of listed euro area banks and country specific macrovariables. Firstly, banks’ internal target capital ratios are estimated by using information on banks’ riskiness and earnings capacity. Secondly, the impact of banks’ capital gap on the credit supply and the security portfolio is estimated while controlling for the macroeconomic environment. An increase in bank’ balance sheet risk is shown to increase the target capital ratios. The adjustment towards higher equilibrium capital ratios has a significant impact on banks’ assets. The impact is found to be more sizeable on security holdings than on loans, thereby suggesting a pecking order. JEL Classification: G01, G21
|Date of creation:||Nov 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 60640 Frankfurt am Main, Germany|
Phone: +49 69 1344 0
Fax: +49 69 1344 6000
Web page: http://www.ecb.europa.eu/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Marcheggiano, Gilberto & Miles, David K & Yang, Jing, 2011.
"Optimal Bank Capital,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
8333, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Hall, B.J., 1993. "How Has the Basle Accord Affected Bank Portfolios?," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1642, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Ivashina, Victoria & Scharfstein, David, 2010. "Bank lending during the financial crisis of 2008," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 97(3), pages 319-338, September.
- Elijah Brewer & George G. Kaufman & Larry D. Wall, 2008.
"Bank capital ratios across countries: why do they vary?,"
FRB Atlanta Working Paper
2008-27, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Elijah Brewer III & George Kaufman & Larry Wall, 2008. "Bank Capital Ratios Across Countries: Why Do They Vary?," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer, vol. 34(2), pages 177-201, December.
- Gambacorta, Leonardo & Marqués-Ibáñez, David, 2011.
"The bank lending channel: lessons from the crisis,"
Working Paper Series
1335, European Central Bank.
- William Francis & Matthew Osborne, 2009. "Bank regulation, capital and credit supply: Measuring the Impact of Prudential Standards," Occasional Papers 36, Financial Services Authority.
- Berger, Allen N & Udell, Gregory F, 1994.
"Do Risk-Based Capital Allocate Bank Credit and Cause a "Credit Crunch"' in the United States?,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 26(3), pages 585-628, August.
- Allen N. Berger & Gregory F. Udell, 1994. "Did risk-based capital allocate bank credit and cause a "credit crunch" in the United States?," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland, pages 585-633.
- Ben S. Bernanke & Cara S. Lown, 1991. "The Credit Crunch," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 22(2), pages 205-248.
- Peek, Joe & Rosengren, Eric, 1995.
"Bank regulation and the credit crunch,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 19(3-4), pages 679-692, June.
- Joe Peek & Eric S. Rosengren, 1996.
"The International Transmission of Financial Shocks: The Case of Japan,"
Boston College Working Papers in Economics
357, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Peek, Joe & Rosengren, Eric S, 1997. "The International Transmission of Financial Shocks: The Case of Japan," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 87(4), pages 495-505, September.
- Joe Peek & Eric S. Rosengren, 1996. "The international transmission of financial shocks: the case of Japan," Working Papers 96-1, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston.
- Larry D. Wall & David R. Peterson, 1994.
"Bank holding company capital targets in the early 1990s: the regulators versus the markets,"
FRB Atlanta Working Paper
94-11, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Wall, Larry D. & Peterson, David R., 1995. "Bank holding company capital targets in the early 1990s: The regulators versus the markets," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 19(3-4), pages 563-574, June.
- Jokipii, Terhi & Milne , Alistair, 2006.
"The cyclical behaviour of European bank capital buffers,"
Research Discussion Papers
17/2006, Bank of Finland.
- Jokipii, Terhi & Milne, Alistair, 2008. "The cyclical behaviour of European bank capital buffers," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(8), pages 1440-1451, August.
- Jokipii, Terhi & Milne, Alistair, 2007. "The Cyclical Behaviour of European Bank Capital Buffers," SIFR Research Report Series 56, Institute for Financial Research.
- Hancock, Diana & Laing, Andrew J. & Wilcox, James A., 1995. "Bank capital shocks: Dynamic effects on securities, loans, and capital," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 19(3-4), pages 661-677, June.
- Jose M. Berrospide & Rochelle M. Edge, 2010. "The effects of bank capital on lending: what do we know, and what does it mean?," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2010-44, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- C. H. Furfine, 2000. "Evidence on the response of US banks to changes in capital requirements," BIS Working Papers 88, Bank for International Settlements.
- Jose M. Berrospide & Rochelle M. Edge, 2010. "The Effects of Bank Capital on Lending: What Do We Know, and What Does It Mean?," International Journal of Central Banking, International Journal of Central Banking, vol. 6(34), pages 1-50, December.
- Allen N. Berger & Richard J. Herring & Giorgio P. Szego, 1995.
"The role of capital in financial institutions,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
95-23, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Diana Hancock and James A. Wilcox., 1998. "The "Credit Crunch" and the Availability of Credit to Small Business," Research Program in Finance Working Papers RPF-282, University of California at Berkeley.
- Jacques, Kevin & Nigro, Peter, 1997. "Risk-based capital, portfolio risk, and bank capital: A simultaneous equations approach," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 49(6), pages 533-547.
- Jacques, Kevin T., 2008. "Capital shocks, bank asset allocation, and the revised Basel Accord," Review of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 79-91.
- Thakor, Anjan V, 1996. " Capital Requirements, Monetary Policy, and Aggregate Bank Lending: Theory and Empirical Evidence," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 51(1), pages 279-324, March.
- Hancock, Diana & Wilcox, James A., 1998. "The "credit crunch" and the availability of credit to small business," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 22(6-8), pages 983-1014, August.
- Jose M. Berrospide & Rochelle M. Edge, 2010. "The effects of bank capital on lending: What do we know, and what does it mean?," CAMA Working Papers 2010-26, Centre for Applied Macroeconomic Analysis, Crawford School of Public Policy, The Australian National University.
- Gropp, Reint & Heider, Florian, 2009.
"The determinants of bank capital structure,"
Working Paper Series
1096, European Central Bank.
- Gabriel Jimenez & Steven Ongena & Jose-Luis Peydro & Jesus Saurina, 2012. "Credit Supply and Monetary Policy: Identifying the Bank Balance-Sheet Channel with Loan Applications," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 102(5), pages 2301-26, August.
- Michael R King, 2010. "Mapping capital and liquidity requirements to bank lending spreads," BIS Working Papers 324, Bank for International Settlements.
- Brinkmann, Emile J & Horvitz, Paul M, 1995. "Risk-Based Capital Standards and the Credit Crunch," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 27(3), pages 848-63, August.
- Shrieves, Ronald E. & Dahl, Drew, 1992. "The relationship between risk and capital in commercial banks," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 439-457, April.
- Memmel, Christoph & Raupach, Peter, 2010. "How do banks adjust their capital ratios?," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 19(4), pages 509-528, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ecb:ecbwps:20121499. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Official Publications)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.