Risk, capital buffer and bank lending: a granular approach to the adjustment of euro area banks
We develop a partial adjustment model in order to estimate the factors contributing to banks’ internal target capital ratio, lending policy and holding of securities. The model is estimated on a panel of listed euro area banks and country specific macrovariables. Firstly, banks’ internal target capital ratios are estimated by using information on banks’ riskiness and earnings capacity. Secondly, the impact of banks’ capital gap on the credit supply and the security portfolio is estimated while controlling for the macroeconomic environment. An increase in bank’ balance sheet risk is shown to increase the target capital ratios. The adjustment towards higher equilibrium capital ratios has a significant impact on banks’ assets. The impact is found to be more sizeable on security holdings than on loans, thereby suggesting a pecking order. JEL Classification: G01, G21
|Date of creation:||Nov 2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 60640 Frankfurt am Main, Germany|
Phone: +49 69 1344 0
Fax: +49 69 1344 6000
Web page: http://www.ecb.europa.eu/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Peek, Joe & Rosengren, Eric, 1995.
"Bank regulation and the credit crunch,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 19(3-4), pages 679-692, June.
- Reint Gropp & Florian Heider, 2010.
"The Determinants of Bank Capital Structure,"
Review of Finance,
European Finance Association, vol. 14(4), pages 587-622.
- Hancock, Diana & Laing, Andrew J. & Wilcox, James A., 1995. "Bank capital shocks: Dynamic effects on securities, loans, and capital," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 19(3-4), pages 661-677, June.
- Memmel, Christoph & Raupach, Peter, 2010. "How do banks adjust their capital ratios?," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 19(4), pages 509-528, October.
- Jacques, Kevin T., 2008. "Capital shocks, bank asset allocation, and the revised Basel Accord," Review of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 79-91.
- Jokipii, Terhi & Milne, Alistair, 2008.
"The cyclical behaviour of European bank capital buffers,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 32(8), pages 1440-1451, August.
- Jokipii, Terhi & Milne, Alistair, 2007. "The Cyclical Behaviour of European Bank Capital Buffers," SIFR Research Report Series 56, Institute for Financial Research.
- Jose M. Berrospide & Rochelle M. Edge, 2010. "The Effects of Bank Capital on Lending: What Do We Know, and What Does It Mean?," International Journal of Central Banking, International Journal of Central Banking, vol. 6(34), pages 1-50, December.
- Hall, B.J., 1993. "How Has the Basle Accord Affected Bank Portfolios?," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1642, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Brinkmann, Emile J & Horvitz, Paul M, 1995. "Risk-Based Capital Standards and the Credit Crunch," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 27(3), pages 848-863, August.
- Joe Peek & Eric S. Rosengren, 1996.
"The International Transmission of Financial Shocks: The Case of Japan,"
Boston College Working Papers in Economics
357, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Peek, Joe & Rosengren, Eric S, 1997. "The International Transmission of Financial Shocks: The Case of Japan," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 87(4), pages 495-505, September.
- Joe Peek & Eric S. Rosengren, 1996. "The international transmission of financial shocks: the case of Japan," Working Papers 96-1, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston.
- Jacques, Kevin & Nigro, Peter, 1997. "Risk-based capital, portfolio risk, and bank capital: A simultaneous equations approach," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 49(6), pages 533-547.
- Larry D. Wall & David R. Peterson, 1994.
"Bank holding company capital targets in the early 1990s: the regulators versus the markets,"
FRB Atlanta Working Paper
94-11, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Wall, Larry D. & Peterson, David R., 1995. "Bank holding company capital targets in the early 1990s: The regulators versus the markets," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 19(3-4), pages 563-574, June.
- Gabriel Jimenez & Steven Ongena & Jose-Luis Peydro & Jesus Saurina, 2012. "Credit Supply and Monetary Policy: Identifying the Bank Balance-Sheet Channel with Loan Applications," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 102(5), pages 2301-2326, August.
- Miles, David & Yang, Jing & Marcheggiano, Gilberto, 2011.
"Optimal Bank Capital,"
31, Monetary Policy Committee Unit, Bank of England.
- Berger, Allen N. & Herring, Richard J. & Szego, Giorgio P., 1995.
"The role of capital in financial institutions,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 19(3-4), pages 393-430, June.
- Allen N. Berger & Richard J. Herring & Giorgio P. Szegö, 1995. "The Role of Capital in Financial Institutions," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 95-01, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Allen N. Berger & Richard J. Herring & Giorgio P. Szego, 1995. "The role of capital in financial institutions," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 95-23, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Elijah Brewer III & George Kaufman & Larry Wall, 2008.
"Bank Capital Ratios Across Countries: Why Do They Vary?,"
Journal of Financial Services Research,
Springer;Western Finance Association, vol. 34(2), pages 177-201, December.
- Elijah Brewer & George G. Kaufman & Larry D. Wall, 2008. "Bank capital ratios across countries: why do they vary?," FRB Atlanta Working Paper 2008-27, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Allen N. Berger & Gregory F. Udell, 1994.
"Did risk-based capital allocate bank credit and cause a "credit crunch" in the United States?,"
Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland, pages 585-633.
- Berger, Allen N & Udell, Gregory F, 1994. "Do Risk-Based Capital Allocate Bank Credit and Cause a "Credit Crunch"' in the United States?," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 26(3), pages 585-628, August.
- Diana Hancock and James A. Wilcox., 1998.
"The "Credit Crunch" and the Availability of Credit to Small Business,"
Research Program in Finance Working Papers
RPF-282, University of California at Berkeley.
- Hancock, Diana & Wilcox, James A., 1998. "The "credit crunch" and the availability of credit to small business," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 22(6-8), pages 983-1014, August.
- C. H. Furfine, 2000. "Evidence on the response of US banks to changes in capital requirements," BIS Working Papers 88, Bank for International Settlements.
- William Francis & Matthew Osborne, 2009. "Bank regulation, capital and credit supply: Measuring the Impact of Prudential Standards," Occasional Papers 36, Financial Services Authority.
- Gambacorta, Leonardo & Marqués-Ibáñez, David, 2011.
"The bank lending channel: lessons from the crisis,"
Working Paper Series
1335, European Central Bank.
- Jose M. Berrospide & Rochelle M. Edge, 2010. "The effects of bank capital on lending: What do we know, and what does it mean?," CAMA Working Papers 2010-26, Centre for Applied Macroeconomic Analysis, Crawford School of Public Policy, The Australian National University.
- Michael R King, 2010. "Mapping capital and liquidity requirements to bank lending spreads," BIS Working Papers 324, Bank for International Settlements.
- Thakor, Anjan V, 1996. " Capital Requirements, Monetary Policy, and Aggregate Bank Lending: Theory and Empirical Evidence," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 51(1), pages 279-324, March.
- Shrieves, Ronald E. & Dahl, Drew, 1992. "The relationship between risk and capital in commercial banks," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 439-457, April.
- Ivashina, Victoria & Scharfstein, David, 2010. "Bank lending during the financial crisis of 2008," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 97(3), pages 319-338, September.
- Ben S. Bernanke & Cara S. Lown, 1991. "The Credit Crunch," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 22(2), pages 205-248.
- Jose M. Berrospide & Rochelle M. Edge, 2010. "The effects of bank capital on lending: what do we know, and what does it mean?," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2010-44, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ecb:ecbwps:20121499. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Official Publications)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.