The Effects of Bank Capital on Lending: What Do We Know, and What Does It Mean?
The effect of bank capital on lending is a critical determinant of the linkage between financial conditions and real activity, and has received especial attention in the recent financial crisis. We use panel regression techniques—following Bernanke and Lown (1991) and Hancock and Wilcox (1993, 1994)—to study the lending of large bank holding companies (BHCs) and find small effects of capital on lending. We then consider the effect of capital ratios on lending using a variant of Lown and Morgan’s (2006) VAR model, and again find modest effects of bank capital ratio changes on lending. These results are in marked contrast to estimates obtained using simple empirical relations between aggregate commercial bank assets and leverage growth, which have recently been very influential in shaping forecasters’ and policymakers’ views regarding the effects of bank capital on loan growth. Our estimated models are then used to understand recent developments in bank lending and, in particular, to consider the role of TARP-related capital injections in affecting these developments.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Puri, Manju & Rocholl, Jörg & Steffen, Sascha, 2011.
"Global retail lending in the aftermath of the US financial crisis: Distinguishing between supply and demand effects,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 100(3), pages 556-578, June.
- Manju Puri & Jörg Rocholl & Sascha Steffen, 2011. "Global retail lending in the aftermath of the US financial crisis: Distinguishing between supply and demand effects," NBER Working Papers 16967, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gianni De Nicolò & Marcella Lucchetta, 2011. "Systemic Risks and the Macroeconomy," NBER Chapters, in: Quantifying Systemic Risk, pages 113-148 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Marcella Lucchetta & Gianni De Nicolo, 2010. "Systemic Risks and the Macroeconomy," IMF Working Papers 10/29, .
- Gianni De Nicolò & Marcella Lucchetta, 2011. "Systemic Risks and the Macroeconomy," NBER Working Papers 16998, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ijc:ijcjou:y:2010:q:4:a:2. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bank for International Settlements)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.