Stock exchange demutualization and performance
Literature on the demutualization of stock exchanges has focused on social welfare and efficiency issues, whereas there is scarce empirical literature referring to the impact of a demutualization on the exchange financial performance. In addition, little is known about the factors that influence an exchange's decision to demutualize. Utilizing data on 11 out of 20 demutualized stock exchanges during the period 1996-2008, we find that: (1) demutualization increases an exchange's financial performance, size, and liquidity, while lowers its debt; (2) a stock exchange with relatively large size has relatively low profitability and high debt; (3) an exchange with relatively large size, low debt and high value of trade is more likely to demutualize. We conclude that stock exchange conversion from mutual to demutualized exchange is value enhancing for the exchange and its shareholders.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- George Hondroyiannis & Evangelia Papapetrou, 2001. "Macroeconomic influences on the stock market," Journal of Economics and Finance, Springer, vol. 25(1), pages 33-49, March.
- Donald Robertson & James Symons, 2000.
"Factor residuals in SUR regressions: estimating panels allowing for cross sectional correlation,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
20163, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Donald Robertson & James Symons, 2000. "Factor Residuals in SUR Regressions: Estimating Panels Allowing for Cross Sectional Correlation," CEP Discussion Papers dp0473, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Hausman, Jerry, 2015.
"Specification tests in econometrics,"
Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 38(2), pages 112-134.
- Reena Aggarwal & Sandeep Dahiya, 2006. "Demutualization and Public Offerings of Financial Exchanges," Journal of Applied Corporate Finance, Morgan Stanley, vol. 18(3), pages 96-106.
- E. Dinenis & S. K. Staikouras, 1998. "Interest rate changes and common stock returns of financial institutions: evidence from the UK," The European Journal of Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 4(2), pages 113-127.
- Hart, Oliver & Moore, John, 1996.
"The Governance of Exchanges: Members' Cooperatives versus Outside Ownership,"
Oxford Review of Economic Policy,
Oxford University Press, vol. 12(4), pages 53-69, Winter.
- Oliver Hart & John Moore, 1996. "The Governance of Exchanges: Members' Co-operatives Versus Outside Ownership," STICERD - Theoretical Economics Paper Series 292, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Nasseh, Alireza & Strauss, Jack, 2000. "Stock prices and domestic and international macroeconomic activity: a cointegration approach," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 40(2), pages 229-245.
- Marcus, Matityahu, 1969. "Profitability and Size of Firm: Some Further Evidence," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 51(1), pages 104-07, February.
- Pesaran, M. Hashem, 2004.
"General Diagnostic Tests for Cross Section Dependence in Panels,"
IZA Discussion Papers
1240, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- M. Hashem Pesaran, 2004. "General Diagnostic Tests for Cross Section Dependence in Panels," CESifo Working Paper Series 1229, CESifo Group Munich.
- Pesaran, M.H., 2004. "‘General Diagnostic Tests for Cross Section Dependence in Panels’," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 0435, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Gavin Cassar & Scott Holmes, 2003.
"Capital structure and financing of SMEs: Australian evidence,"
Accounting and Finance,
Accounting and Finance Association of Australia and New Zealand, vol. 0(2), pages 123-147.
- Gavin Cassar & Scott Holmes, 2003. "Capital structure and financing of SMEs: Australian evidence," Accounting and Finance, Accounting and Finance Association of Australia and New Zealand, vol. 43(2), pages 123-147.
- Castanias, Richard, 1983. " Bankruptcy Risk and Optimal Capital Structure," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 38(5), pages 1617-35, December.
- Otchere, Isaac, 2006. "Stock exchange self-listing and value effects," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 12(5), pages 926-953, December.
- Titman, Sheridan & Warga, Arthur, 1989. "Stock Returns as Predictors of Interest Rates and Inflation," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 24(01), pages 47-58, March.
- Maysami, Ramin Cooper & Koh, Tiong Sim, 2000. "A vector error correction model of the Singapore stock market," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 79-96, February.
- Granger, C W J, 1969. "Investigating Causal Relations by Econometric Models and Cross-Spectral Methods," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 37(3), pages 424-38, July.
- Ruben Lee, . "The Future of Securities Exchanges," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 02-14, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Graham C. Hall & Patrick J. Hutchinson & Nicos Michaelas, 2004. "Determinants of the Capital Structures of European SMEs," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 31(5-6), pages 711-728.
- Titman, Sheridan & Wessels, Roberto, 1988. " The Determinants of Capital Structure Choice," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 43(1), pages 1-19, March.
- Faff, R. W. & Howard, P. F., 1999. "Interest rate risk of Australian financial sector companies in a period of regulatory change," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 83-101, February.
- David Lovatt & Ashok Parikh, 2000. "Stock returns and economic activity: the UK case," The European Journal of Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 6(3), pages 280-297.
- Otchere, Isaac & Abou-Zied, Khaled, 2008. "Stock exchange demutualization, self-listing and performance: The case of the Australian Stock Exchange," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(4), pages 512-525, April.
- Fama, Eugene F, 1991. " Efficient Capital Markets: II," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 46(5), pages 1575-617, December.
- Schmiedel, Heiko, 2002. "Total factor productivity growth in European stock exchanges: A non-parametric frontier approach," Research Discussion Papers 11/2002, Bank of Finland.
- Choi, Jongmoo Jay & Elyasiani, Elyas & Kopecky, Kenneth J., 1992. "The sensitivity of bank stock returns to market, interest and exchange rate risks," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 16(5), pages 983-1004, September.
- Wald, John K, 1999. "How Firm Characteristics Affect Capital Structure: An International Comparison," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 22(2), pages 161-87, Summer.
- Reena Aggarwal, 2002. "Demutualization And Corporate Governance Of Stock Exchanges," Journal of Applied Corporate Finance, Morgan Stanley, vol. 15(1), pages 105-113.
- Schmiedel, Heiko, 2001. "Technological development and concentration of stock exchanges in Europe," Research Discussion Papers 21/2001, Bank of Finland.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:glofin:v:21:y:2010:i:2:p:211-222. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.