Stock exchange demutualization and performance
Literature on the demutualization of stock exchanges has focused on social welfare and efficiency issues, whereas there is scarce empirical literature referring to the impact of a demutualization on the exchange financial performance. In addition, little is known about the factors that influence an exchange's decision to demutualize. Utilizing data on 11 out of 20 demutualized stock exchanges during the period 1996-2008, we find that: (1) demutualization increases an exchange's financial performance, size, and liquidity, while lowers its debt; (2) a stock exchange with relatively large size has relatively low profitability and high debt; (3) an exchange with relatively large size, low debt and high value of trade is more likely to demutualize. We conclude that stock exchange conversion from mutual to demutualized exchange is value enhancing for the exchange and its shareholders.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Marcus, Matityahu, 1969. "Profitability and Size of Firm: Some Further Evidence," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 51(1), pages 104-107, February.
- Titman, Sheridan & Wessels, Roberto, 1988. " The Determinants of Capital Structure Choice," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 43(1), pages 1-19, March.
- Faff, R. W. & Howard, P. F., 1999. "Interest rate risk of Australian financial sector companies in a period of regulatory change," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 83-101, February.
- Wald, John K, 1999. "How Firm Characteristics Affect Capital Structure: An International Comparison," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 22(2), pages 161-187, Summer.
- Castanias, Richard, 1983. " Bankruptcy Risk and Optimal Capital Structure," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 38(5), pages 1617-1635, December.
- Donald Robertson & James Symons, 2000.
"Factor residuals in SUR regressions: estimating panels allowing for cross sectional correlation,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
20163, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Donald Robertson & James Symons, 2000. "Factor Residuals in SUR Regressions: Estimating Panels Allowing for Cross Sectional Correlation," CEP Discussion Papers dp0473, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Ruben Lee, "undated". "The Future of Securities Exchanges," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 02-14, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- E. Dinenis & S. K. Staikouras, 1998. "Interest rate changes and common stock returns of financial institutions: evidence from the UK," The European Journal of Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 4(2), pages 113-127.
- Schmiedel, Heiko, 2001. "Technological development and concentration of stock exchanges in Europe," Research Discussion Papers 21/2001, Bank of Finland.
- Choi, Jongmoo Jay & Elyasiani, Elyas & Kopecky, Kenneth J., 1992. "The sensitivity of bank stock returns to market, interest and exchange rate risks," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 16(5), pages 983-1004, September.
- repec:bla:joares:v:34:y:1996:i:2:p:235-259 is not listed on IDEAS
- Hausman, Jerry, 2015. "Specification tests in econometrics," Applied Econometrics, Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 38(2), pages 112-134.
- Hausman, Jerry A, 1978. "Specification Tests in Econometrics," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(6), pages 1251-1271, November.
- J. A. Hausman, 1976. "Specification Tests in Econometrics," Working papers 185, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Pesaran, M.H., 2004. "‘General Diagnostic Tests for Cross Section Dependence in Panels’," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 0435, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Pesaran, M. Hashem, 2004. "General Diagnostic Tests for Cross Section Dependence in Panels," IZA Discussion Papers 1240, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- M. Hashem Pesaran, 2004. "General Diagnostic Tests for Cross Section Dependence in Panels," CESifo Working Paper Series 1229, CESifo Group Munich.
- Titman, Sheridan & Warga, Arthur, 1989. "Stock Returns as Predictors of Interest Rates and Inflation," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 24(01), pages 47-58, March.
- George Hondroyiannis & Evangelia Papapetrou, 2001. "Macroeconomic influences on the stock market," Journal of Economics and Finance, Springer;Academy of Economics and Finance, vol. 25(1), pages 33-49, March.
- Nasseh, Alireza & Strauss, Jack, 2000. "Stock prices and domestic and international macroeconomic activity: a cointegration approach," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 40(2), pages 229-245.
- Schmiedel, Heiko, 2002. "Total factor productivity growth in European stock exchanges : A non-parametric frontier approach," Research Discussion Papers 11/2002, Bank of Finland.
- Granger, C W J, 1969. "Investigating Causal Relations by Econometric Models and Cross-Spectral Methods," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 37(3), pages 424-438, July.
- Hart, Oliver & Moore, John, 1996. "The Governance of Exchanges: Members' Cooperatives versus Outside Ownership," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 12(4), pages 53-69, Winter.
- Oliver Hart & John Moore, 1996. "The Governance of Exchanges: Members' Co-operatives Versus Outside Ownership," STICERD - Theoretical Economics Paper Series /1996/292, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Gavin Cassar & Scott Holmes, 2003. "Capital structure and financing of SMEs: Australian evidence," Accounting and Finance, Accounting and Finance Association of Australia and New Zealand, vol. 43(2), pages 123-147.
- Gavin Cassar & Scott Holmes, 2003. "Capital structure and financing of SMEs: Australian evidence," Accounting and Finance, Accounting and Finance Association of Australia and New Zealand, vol. 0(2), pages 123-147.
- Otchere, Isaac & Abou-Zied, Khaled, 2008. "Stock exchange demutualization, self-listing and performance: The case of the Australian Stock Exchange," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(4), pages 512-525, April.
- David Lovatt & Ashok Parikh, 2000. "Stock returns and economic activity: the UK case," The European Journal of Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 6(3), pages 280-297.
- Maysami, Ramin Cooper & Koh, Tiong Sim, 2000. "A vector error correction model of the Singapore stock market," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 79-96, February.
- Graham C. Hall & Patrick J. Hutchinson & Nicos Michaelas, 2004. "Determinants of the Capital Structures of European SMEs," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 31(5-6), pages 711-728.
- Otchere, Isaac, 2006. "Stock exchange self-listing and value effects," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 12(5), pages 926-953, December.
- Reena Aggarwal & Sandeep Dahiya, 2006. "Demutualization and Public Offerings of Financial Exchanges," Journal of Applied Corporate Finance, Morgan Stanley, vol. 18(3), pages 96-106.
- Reena Aggarwal, 2002. "Demutualization And Corporate Governance Of Stock Exchanges," Journal of Applied Corporate Finance, Morgan Stanley, vol. 15(1), pages 105-113.
- Fama, Eugene F, 1991. " Efficient Capital Markets: II," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 46(5), pages 1575-1617, December. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:glofin:v:21:y:2010:i:2:p:211-222. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.