Adolescents and electricity consumption; Investigating sociodemographic, economic, and behavioural influences on electricity consumption in households
With respect to changes in the energy systems of many countries, electricity consumption in households is an important topic. Extensive research has investigated the various determinants of electricity consumption. However, insights into how specific sociodemographic, behavioural, and attitudinal determinants influence residential electricity consumption are still scarce. In this study, we used hierarchical regression analysis to systematically investigate these determinants (including household engagement in electricity saving) along with a wide range of other measures in a sample of German households (N=763). Special attention was given to households with adolescents and children by analysing the influence of the number of adolescents on electricity consumption in a path model. Our results indicate that sociodemographic influences can be explained by the purchasing and use behaviours of residents. Our findings also suggest that the use of behavioural information provides a more detailed picture of the conditions of electricity consumption and thus allows for more appropriate policy planning.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Michael Parti & Cynthia Parti, 1980. "The Total and Appliance-Specific Conditional Demand for Electricity in the Household Sector," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 11(1), pages 309-321, Spring.
- Kavousian, Amir & Rajagopal, Ram & Fischer, Martin, 2013. "Determinants of residential electricity consumption: Using smart meter data to examine the effect of climate, building characteristics, appliance stock, and occupants' behavior," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 55(C), pages 184-194.
- Farag, Sendy & Lyons, Glenn, 2012. "To use or not to use? An empirical study of pre-trip public transport information for business and leisure trips and comparison with car travel," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 20(C), pages 82-92.
- Hans R. A. Koster & Jos N. van Ommeren & Piet Rietveld, 2016.
"Historic amenities, income and sorting of households,"
Journal of Economic Geography,
Oxford University Press, vol. 16(1), pages 203-236.
- Hans R. A. Koster & Piet Rietveld & Jos Van Ommeren, 2013. "Historic amenities, income and sorting of households," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 58433, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Hans R. A. Koster & Piet Rietveld & Jos Van Ommeren, 2013. "Historic Amenities, Income and Sorting of Households," SERC Discussion Papers 0124, Spatial Economics Research Centre, LSE.
- Swan, Lukas G. & Ugursal, V. Ismet, 2009. "Modeling of end-use energy consumption in the residential sector: A review of modeling techniques," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 13(8), pages 1819-1835, October.
- Røpke, Inge & Haunstrup Christensen, Toke & Ole Jensen, Jesper, 2010. "Information and communication technologies - A new round of household electrification," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(4), pages 1764-1773, April.
- Brounen, Dirk & Kok, Nils & Quigley, John M., 2012. "Residential energy use and conservation: Economics and demographics," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 56(5), pages 931-945.
- Merih Aydinalp & V. Ismet Ugursal & Alan S. Fung, 2003. "Effects of socioeconomic factors on household appliance, lighting, and space cooling electricity consumption," International Journal of Global Energy Issues, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 20(3), pages 302-315.
- Moore, Richard, 2012. "Definitions of fuel poverty: Implications for policy," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 49(C), pages 19-26.
- Wiesmann, Daniel & Lima Azevedo, Inês & Ferrão, Paulo & Fernández, John E., 2011. "Residential electricity consumption in Portugal: Findings from top-down and bottom-up models," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(5), pages 2772-2779, May.
- Jones, Rory V. & Fuertes, Alba & Lomas, Kevin J., 2015. "The socio-economic, dwelling and appliance related factors affecting electricity consumption in domestic buildings," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 43(C), pages 901-917.
- Timothy Derdenger, 2014. "Technological tying and the intensity of price competition: An empirical analysis of the video game industry," Quantitative Marketing and Economics (QME), Springer, vol. 12(2), pages 127-165, June.
- Lewis, Alan, 2015. "Designing for an imagined user: Provision for thermal comfort in energy-efficient extra-care housing," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 84(C), pages 204-212.
- Ellen Matthies & Ingo Kastner & Andreas Klesse & Hermann-Josef Wagner, 2011. "High reduction potentials for energy user behavior in public buildings: how much can psychology-based interventions achieve?," Journal of Environmental Studies and Sciences, Springer;Association of Environmental Studies and Sciences, vol. 1(3), pages 241-255, September.
- Abrahamse, Wokje & Steg, Linda, 2009. "How do socio-demographic and psychological factors relate to households' direct and indirect energy use and savings?," Journal of Economic Psychology, Elsevier, vol. 30(5), pages 711-720, October.
- Steg, Linda, 2008. "Promoting household energy conservation," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(12), pages 4449-4453, December.
- Sanquist, Thomas F. & Orr, Heather & Shui, Bin & Bittner, Alvah C., 2012. "Lifestyle factors in U.S. residential electricity consumption," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 42(C), pages 354-364.
- Flaviane Souza Santiago & Mônica Viegas Andrade & Edson Paulo Domingues & Geoffrey J.D. Hewings, 2016. "Age Structure And Household Consumption In Brazil," Anais do XLIII Encontro Nacional de Economia [Proceedings of the 43rd Brazilian Economics Meeting] 210, ANPEC - Associação Nacional dos Centros de Pósgraduação em Economia [Brazilian Association of Graduate Programs in Economics].
- Zografakis, Nikolaos & Menegaki, Angeliki N. & Tsagarakis, Konstantinos P., 2008. "Effective education for energy efficiency," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(8), pages 3216-3222, August.
- Han, Q. & Nieuwenhijsen, I. & de Vries, B. & Blokhuis, E. & Schaefer, W., 2013. "Intervention strategy to stimulate energy-saving behavior of local residents," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 52(C), pages 706-715.
- Urban, Jan & Ščasný, Milan, 2012. "Exploring domestic energy-saving: The role of environmental concern and background variables," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 47(C), pages 69-80.
- Martinsson, Johan & Lundqvist, Lennart J. & Sundström, Aksel, 2011. "Energy saving in Swedish households. The (relative) importance of environmental attitudes," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(9), pages 5182-5191, September. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:enepol:v:94:y:2016:i:c:p:224-234. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.