Considering the energy, water and food nexus: Towards an integrated modelling approach
The areas of energy, water and food policy have numerous interwoven concerns ranging from ensuring access to services, to environmental impacts to price volatility. These issues manifest in very different ways in each of the three “spheres”, but often the impacts are closely related. Identifying these interrelationships a priori is of great importance to help target synergies and avoid potential tensions. Systems thinking is required to address such a wide swath of possible topics. This paper briefly describes some of the linkages at a high-level of aggregation – primarily from a developing country perspective – and via case studies, to arrive at some promising directions for addressing the nexus. To that end, we also present the attributes of a modelling framework that specifically addresses the nexus, and can thus serve to inform more effective national policies and regulations. While environmental issues are normally the ‘cohesive principle’ from which the three areas are considered jointly, the enormous inequalities arising from a lack of access suggest that economic and security-related issues may be stronger motivators of change. Finally, consideration of the complex interactions will require new institutional capacity both in industrialised and developing countries.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Elena, Galan-del-Castillo & Esther, Velazquez, 2010. "From water to energy: The virtual water content and water footprint of biofuel consumption in Spain," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(3), pages 1345-1352, March.
- Mushtaq, Shahbaz & Maraseni, Tek Narayan & Maroulis, Jerry & Hafeez, Mohsin, 2009. "Energy and water tradeoffs in enhancing food security: A selective international assessment," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(9), pages 3635-3644, September.
- Schut, Marc & Slingerland, Maja & Locke, Anna, 2010. "Biofuel developments in Mozambique. Update and analysis of policy, potential and reality," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(9), pages 5151-5165, September.
- Zahnd, Alex & Kimber, Haddix McKay, 2009. "Benefits from a renewable energy village electrification system," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 34(2), pages 362-368.
- Ayres, Robert, 1996. "Technology, progress and economic growth," European Management Journal, Elsevier, vol. 14(6), pages 562-575, December.
- Zhu, Qinghua & Sarkis, Joseph & Lai, Kee-hung, 2008. "Green supply chain management implications for "closing the loop"," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 44(1), pages 1-18, January.
- Ramos-Martin, Jesus, 2003.
"Empiricism in ecological economics: a perspective from complex systems theory,"
Elsevier, vol. 46(3), pages 387-398, October.
- Jesús Ramos Martín, 2003. "Empiricism in ecological economics: a perspective from complex systems theory," UHE Working papers 2003_03, Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona, Departament d'Economia i Història Econòmica, Unitat d'Història Econòmica.
- Ayres, Robert U., 1998. "Eco-thermodynamics: economics and the second law," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(2), pages 189-209, August.
- Lange, Mareike, 2011. "The GHG balance of biofuels taking into account land use change," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(5), pages 2373-2385, May.
- Byrne, John & Zhou, Aiming & Shen, Bo & Hughes, Kristen, 2007. "Evaluating the potential of small-scale renewable energy options to meet rural livelihoods needs: A GIS- and lifecycle cost-based assessment of Western China's options," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(8), pages 4391-4401, August.
- Nonhebel, Sanderine, 2005. "Renewable energy and food supply: will there be enough land?," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 191-201, April.
- Winpenny, J. T., 1992. "Powerless and thirsty? : The outlook for energy and water in developing countries," Utilities Policy, Elsevier, vol. 2(4), pages 290-295, October.
- Sarkis, Joseph & Zhu, Qinghua & Lai, Kee-hung, 2011. "An organizational theoretic review of green supply chain management literature," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 130(1), pages 1-15, March.
- Purohit, Pallav, 2007. "Financial evaluation of renewable energy technologies for irrigation water pumping in India," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(6), pages 3134-3144, June.
- Khan, Shahbaz & Hanjra, Munir A., 2009. "Footprints of water and energy inputs in food production - Global perspectives," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(2), pages 130-140, April.
- Fthenakis, Vasilis & Kim, Hyung Chul, 2010. "Life-cycle uses of water in U.S. electricity generation," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 14(7), pages 2039-2048, September.
- Shah, Tushaar & Scott, C. & Kishore, A. & Sharma, A., 2003.
"Energy-irrigation nexus in South Asia: Improving groundwater conservation and power sector viability,"
IWMI Research Reports
H033885, International Water Management Institute.
- Shah, Tushaar & Scott, C. & Kishore, A. & Sharma, A., 2007. "Energy-irrigation nexus in South Asia: improving groundwater conservation and power sector viability," IWMI Books, Reports H040049, International Water Management Institute.
- Shah, Tushaar & Scott, Christopher & Kishore, Avinash & Sharma, Abhishek, 2004. "Energy-irrigation nexus in South Asia: improving groundwater conservation and power sector viability," IWMI Research Reports H036593, International Water Management Institute.
- Viswanathan, Brinda & Kavi Kumar, K. S., 2005. "Cooking fuel use patterns in India: 1983-2000," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(8), pages 1021-1036, May.
- Aurélie Méjean & Chris Hope, 2010.
"Modelling the costs of energy crops: A case study of US corn and Brazilian sugar cane,"
- Méjean, Aurélie & Hope, Chris, 2010. "Modelling the costs of energy crops: A case study of US corn and Brazilian sugar cane," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(1), pages 547-561, January.
- Peters, Jörg & Thielmann, Sascha, 2008.
"Promoting Biofuels: Implications for Developing Countries,"
Ruhr Economic Papers
38, RWI - Leibniz-Institut für Wirtschaftsforschung, Ruhr-University Bochum, TU Dortmund University, University of Duisburg-Essen.
- Peters, Jörg & Thielmann, Sascha, 2008. "Promoting biofuels: Implications for developing countries," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(4), pages 1538-1544, April.
- Liu, Gang & Lucas, Mario & Shen, Lei, 2008. "Rural household energy consumption and its impacts on eco-environment in Tibet: Taking Taktse county as an example," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 12(7), pages 1890-1908, September.
- Chaurey, Akanksha & Kandpal, Tara Chandra, 2010. "Assessment and evaluation of PV based decentralized rural electrification: An overview," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 14(8), pages 2266-2278, October.
- Ayres, Robert U., 2004. "On the life cycle metaphor: where ecology and economics diverge," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 48(4), pages 425-438, April.
- Ferretti, I. & Zanoni, S. & Zavanella, L. & Diana, A., 2007. "Greening the aluminium supply chain," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 108(1-2), pages 236-245, July.
- Rubio Rodríguez, M.A. & Ruyck, J. De & Díaz, P. Roque & Verma, V.K. & Bram, S., 2011. "An LCA based indicator for evaluation of alternative energy routes," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 88(3), pages 630-635, March.
- Stern, Jon, 2010. "Introducing competition into England and Wales water industry - Lessons from UK and EU energy market liberalisation," Utilities Policy, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 120-128, September.
- Richard Loulou & Maryse Labriet, 2008. "ETSAP-TIAM: the TIMES integrated assessment model Part I: Model structure," Computational Management Science, Springer, vol. 5(1), pages 7-40, February.
- Sallem, Souhir & Chaabene, Maher & Kamoun, M.B.A., 2009. "Energy management algorithm for an optimum control of a photovoltaic water pumping system," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 86(12), pages 2671-2680, December.
- Ou, Xunmin & Zhang, Xiliang & Chang, Shiyan & Guo, Qingfang, 2009. "Energy consumption and GHG emissions of six biofuel pathways by LCA in (the) People's Republic of China," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 86(Supplemen), pages 197-208, November.
- Calzadilla, Alvaro & Rehdanz, Katrin & Tol, Richard S. J., 2011. "Trade Liberalisation and Climate Change: A CGE Analysis of the Impacts on Global Agriculture," Papers WP381, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
- El-Fadel, R.H. & Hammond, G.P. & Harajli, H.A. & Jones, C.I. & Kabakian, V.K. & Winnett, A.B., 2010. "The Lebanese electricity system in the context of sustainable development," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(2), pages 751-761, February.
- Bazilian, Morgan & Sagar, Ambuj & Detchon, Reid & Yumkella, Kandeh, 2010. "More heat and light," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(10), pages 5409-5412, October.
- Arimura, Toshi H. & Darnall, Nicole & Katayama, Hajime, 2011. "Is ISO 14001 a gateway to more advanced voluntary action? The case of green supply chain management," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 61(2), pages 170-182, March.
- Tan, Reginald B.H. & Wijaya, David & Khoo, Hsien H., 2010. "LCI (Life cycle inventory) analysis of fuels and electricity generation in Singapore," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 35(12), pages 4910-4916.
- Azzopardi, B. & Mutale, J., 2010. "Life cycle analysis for future photovoltaic systems using hybrid solar cells," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 1130-1134, April.
- Subhadra, Bobban G., 2011. "Macro-level integrated renewable energy production schemes for sustainable development," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(4), pages 2193-2196, April.
- Blanco, J. & Malato, S. & Fernández-Ibañez, P. & Alarcón, D. & Gernjak, W. & Maldonado, M.I., 2009. "Review of feasible solar energy applications to water processes," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 13(6-7), pages 1437-1445, August.
- Lange, Mareike, 2011. "The GHG Balance of Biofuels Taking into Account Land Use Change (Power Point)," 2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland 114406, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Siddiqi, Afreen & Anadon, Laura Diaz, 2011. "The water-energy nexus in Middle East and North Africa," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(8), pages 4529-4540, August.
- Weisser, Daniel, 2007. "A guide to life-cycle greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions from electric supply technologies," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 32(9), pages 1543-1559.
- Kainuma, Yasutaka & Tawara, Nobuhiko, 2006. "A multiple attribute utility theory approach to lean and green supply chain management," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 101(1), pages 99-108, May.
- Lee, Young Eal & Koh, Kyoo-Kun, 2002. "Decision-making of nuclear energy policy: application of environmental management tool to nuclear fuel cycle," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 30(13), pages 1151-1161, October.
- Dincer, Ibrahim, 2002. "The role of exergy in energy policy making," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 137-149, January.
- Amigun, Bamikole & Musango, Josephine Kaviti & Stafford, William, 2011. "Biofuels and sustainability in Africa," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 15(2), pages 1360-1372, February.
- Gerbens-Leenes, P.W. & Hoekstra, A.Y. & van der Meer, Th., 2009. "The water footprint of energy from biomass: A quantitative assessment and consequences of an increasing share of bio-energy in energy supply," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 68(4), pages 1052-1060, February.
- Canning, Patrick N., 2010. "Fuel for Food: Energy Use in the U.S. Food System," Amber Waves, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service, September.
- Allen, S.R. & Hammond, G.P. & Harajli, H.A. & McManus, M.C. & Winnett, A.B., 2010. "Integrated appraisal of a Solar Hot Water system," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 35(3), pages 1351-1362.
- Kaldellis, J.K. & Zafirakis, D. & Kaldelli, E.L. & Kavadias, K., 2009. "Cost benefit analysis of a photovoltaic-energy storage electrification solution for remote islands," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 34(5), pages 1299-1311.
- Ruth, Matthias, 2006. "A quest for the economics of sustainability and the sustainability of economics," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 56(3), pages 332-342, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:enepol:v:39:y:2011:i:12:p:7896-7906. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.