Footprints of water and energy inputs in food production - Global perspectives
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- de Fraiture, Charlotte & Wichelns, D. & Rockstrom, J. & Kemp-Benedict, E. & Eriyagama, Nishadi & Gordon, L. J. & Hanjra, M. A. & Hoogeveen, J. & Huber-Lee, A. & Karlberg, L., 2007. "Looking ahead to 2050: scenarios of alternative investment approaches," IWMI Books, Reports H040196, International Water Management Institute.
- Castillo, G. E. & Namara, Regassa & Ravnborg, H. M. & Hanjra, M. A. & Smith, L. & Hussein, M. H. & Bene, C. & Cook, S. & Hirsch, D. & Polak, P. & Valee, Domitille & van Koppen, Barbara, 2007. "Reversing the flow: agricultural water management pathways for poverty reduction," IWMI Books, Reports H040197, International Water Management Institute.
- Narayanamoorthy, A. & Hanjra, Munir A., 2006. "Rural Infrastructure and Agricultural Output Linkages: A Study of 256 Indian Districts," Indian Journal of Agricultural Economics, Indian Society of Agricultural Economics, vol. 61(3).
- Khan, Shahbaz & Rana, Tariq & Hanjra, Munir A., 2008. "A cross disciplinary framework for linking farms with regional groundwater and salinity management targets," Agricultural Water Management, Elsevier, vol. 95(1), pages 35-47, January.
- Molden, David & Oweis, T. Y. & Pasquale, S. & Kijne, J. W. & Hanjra, M. A. & Bindraban, P. S. & Bouman, B. A. M. & Cook, S. & Erenstein, O. & Farahani, H. & Hachum, A. & Hoogeveen, J. & Mahoo, H. & Na, 2007. "Pathways for increasing agricultural water productivity," IWMI Books, Reports H040200, International Water Management Institute.
- Walter P. Falcon & Rosamond L. Naylor, 2005. "Rethinking Food Security for the Twenty-First Century," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 87(5), pages 1113-1127.
- Khan, Shahbaz & Tariq, Rana & Yuanlai, Cui & Blackwell, J., 2006. "Can irrigation be sustainable?," Agricultural Water Management, Elsevier, vol. 80(1-3), pages 87-99, February.
- Costanza, Robert & d'Arge, Ralph & de Groot, Rudolf & Farber, Stephen & Grasso, Monica & Hannon, Bruce & Limburg, Karin & Naeem, Shahid & O'Neill, Robert V. & Paruelo, Jose, 1998. "The value of the world's ecosystem services and natural capital," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 3-15, April.
- Janmaat, John, 2004. "Calculating the cost of irrigation induced soil salinization in the tungabhadra project," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 31(1), pages 81-96, July.
- Jayne, T. S. & Govereh, J. & Wanzala, M. & Demeke, M., 2003. "Fertilizer market development: a comparative analysis of Ethiopia, Kenya, and Zambia," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 28(4), pages 293-316, August.
- Renault, D. & Wallender, W. W., 2000. "Nutritional water productivity and diets," Agricultural Water Management, Elsevier, vol. 45(3), pages 275-296, August.
- Wichelns, Dennis & Oster, J.D., 2006. "Sustainable irrigation is necessary and achievable, but direct costs and environmental impacts can be substantial," Agricultural Water Management, Elsevier, vol. 86(1-2), pages 114-127, November.
- Salman Saif Ghouri, 2006. "Correlation between energy usage and the rate of economic development," OPEC Energy Review, Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries, vol. 30(1), pages 41-54, March.
- Pannell, David J. & Malcolm, Bill & Kingwell, Ross S., 2000.
"Are we risking too much? Perspectives on risk in farm modelling,"
Blackwell, vol. 23(1), pages 69-78, June.
- Pannell, David J. & Malcolm, Bill & Kingwell, Ross S., 2000. "Are we risking too much? Perspectives on risk in farm modelling," Agricultural Economics of Agricultural Economists, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 23(1), June.
- Arnab K. Basu & Matin Qaim, 2007. "On the Adoption of Genetically Modified Seeds in Developing Countries and the Optimal Types of Government Intervention," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 89(3), pages 784-804.
- Burnes, Ellen & Wichelns, Dennis & Hagen, John W., 2005. "Economic and policy implications of public support for ethanol production in California's San Joaquin Valley," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(9), pages 1155-1167, June.
- Meijer, Karen & Boelee, Eline & Augustijn, Denie & Molen, Irna van der, 2006. "Impacts of concrete lining of irrigation canals on availability of water for domestic use in southern Sri Lanka," Agricultural Water Management, Elsevier, vol. 83(3), pages 243-251, June.
- Kumar, M. Dinesh, 2005. "Impact of electricity prices and volumetric water allocation on energy and groundwater demand management:: analysis from Western India," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 39-51, January.
- R. Maria Saleth & Ariel Dinar, 2004. "The Institutional Economics of Water : A Cross-Country Analysis of Institutions and Performance," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 14884.
- Khan, Shahbaz & Mushtaq, Shahbaz & Hanjra, Munir A. & Schaeffer, Jürgen, 2008. "Estimating potential costs and gains from an aquifer storage and recovery program in Australia," Agricultural Water Management, Elsevier, vol. 95(4), pages 477-488, April.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Dong, Gang & Mao, Xianqiang & Zhou, Ji & Zeng, An, 2013. "Carbon footprint accounting and dynamics and the driving forces of agricultural production in Zhejiang Province, China," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 91(C), pages 38-47.
- Patrizia Ghisellini & Marco Setti & Sergio Ulgiati, 2016. "Energy and land use in worldwide agriculture: an application of life cycle energy and cluster analysis," Environment, Development and Sustainability: A Multidisciplinary Approach to the Theory and Practice of Sustainable Development, Springer, vol. 18(3), pages 799-837, June.
- Moon, Wanki, 2011. "Is agriculture compatible with free trade?," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 71(C), pages 13-24.
- Manab Das & Debashish Goswami & Anshuman & Alok Adholeya, 2014. "Land degradation, water scarcity and sustainability," Chapters,in: Handbook on Food, chapter 17, pages 443-461 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Valeria De Laurentiis & Dexter V.L. Hunt & Christopher D.F. Rogers, 2016. "Overcoming Food Security Challenges within an Energy/Water/Food Nexus (EWFN) Approach," Sustainability, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 8(1), pages 1-23, January.
- World Bank [WB], 2016. "High and Dry : Climate Change, Water, and the Economy," Working Papers id:10736, eSocialSciences.
- Mirade, Pierre-Sylvain & Perret, Bruno & Guillemin, Hervé & Picque, Daniel & Desserre, Béatrice & Montel, Marie-Christine & Corrieu, Georges, 2012. "Quantifying energy savings during cheese ripening after implementation of sequential air ventilation in an industrial cheesemaking plant," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 46(1), pages 248-258.
- Sevigne, Eva & Gasol, Carles M. & Brun, Filippo & Rovira, Laura & Pagés, Josep Maria & Camps, Francesc & Rieradevall, Joan & Gabarrell, Xavier, 2011. "Water and energy consumption of Populus spp. bioenergy systems: A case study in Southern Europe," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 15(2), pages 1133-1140, February.
- Jinglu Wu & Haiao Zeng & Hong Yu & Long Ma & Longsheng Xu & Boqiang Qin, 2012. "Water and Sediment Quality in Lakes along the Middle and Lower Reaches of the Yangtze River, China," Water Resources Management: An International Journal, Published for the European Water Resources Association (EWRA), Springer;European Water Resources Association (EWRA), vol. 26(12), pages 3601-3618, September.
- repec:eee:rensus:v:75:y:2017:i:c:p:393-401 is not listed on IDEAS
- Aavudai Anandhi & Jean L. Steiner & Nathaniel Bailey, 2016. "A system’s approach to assess the exposure of agricultural production to climate change and variability," Climatic Change, Springer, vol. 136(3), pages 647-659, June.
- Jackson, T.M. & Hanjra, Munir A. & Khan, S. & Hafeez, M.M., 2011. "Building a climate resilient farm: A risk based approach for understanding water, energy and emissions in irrigated agriculture," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 104(9), pages 729-745.
- Roberto Roson & Martina Sartori, 2013. "Trade-offs in water policy: System-wide implications of changing water availability and agricultural productivity in the Mediterranean economies by 2050," Working Papers 2013:21, Department of Economics, University of Venice "Ca' Foscari".
- repec:gam:jsusta:v:8:y:2016:i:1:p:95:d:62554 is not listed on IDEAS
- Matteo Vittuari & Fabio De Menna & Marco Pagani, 2016. "The Hidden Burden of Food Waste: The Double Energy Waste in Italy," Energies, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 9(8), pages 1-24, August.
- Ozturk, Ilhan, 2015. "Sustainability in the food-energy-water nexus: Evidence from BRICS (Brazil, the Russian Federation, India, China, and South Africa) countries," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 93(P1), pages 999-1010.
- Sharifi, Ayyoob & Yamagata, Yoshiki, 2016. "Principles and criteria for assessing urban energy resilience: A literature review," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 60(C), pages 1654-1677.
- Khan, S. & Khan, M.A. & Hanjra, M.A. & Mu, J., 2009. "Pathways to reduce the environmental footprints of water and energy inputs in food production," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(2), pages 141-149, April.
- Fernando Miralles-Wilhelm, 2016. "Development and application of integrative modeling tools in support of food-energy-water nexus planning—a research agenda," Journal of Environmental Studies and Sciences, Springer;Association of Environmental Studies and Sciences, vol. 6(1), pages 3-10, March.
- Bazilian, Morgan & Rogner, Holger & Howells, Mark & Hermann, Sebastian & Arent, Douglas & Gielen, Dolf & Steduto, Pasquale & Mueller, Alexander & Komor, Paul & Tol, Richard S.J. & Yumkella, Kandeh K., 2011. "Considering the energy, water and food nexus: Towards an integrated modelling approach," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(12), pages 7896-7906.
- Guta, Dawit & Jara, Jose & Adhikari, Narayan & Qiu, Chen & Gaur, Varun & Mirzabaev, Alisher, 2015. "Decentralized energy in Water-Energy-Food Security Nexus in Developing Countries: Case Studies on Successes and Failures," Discussion Papers 207713, University of Bonn, Center for Development Research (ZEF).
- Hanjra, Munir A. & Qureshi, M. Ejaz, 2010. "Global water crisis and future food security in an era of climate change," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(5), pages 365-377, October.
More about this item
KeywordsFood policy Food security Climate change Carbon sequestration Investments;
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jfpoli:v:34:y:2009:i:2:p:130-140. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu). General contact details of provider: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/foodpol .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.