EU-MENA energy technology transfer under the CDM: Israel as a frontrunner?
The majority of the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) countries possess substantial potential for the implementation of CDM projects. Abatement of Greenhouse Gas (GHG) emissions can mainly be achieved through utilizing the abundant Renewable Energy Sources (RES) in the region and the implementation of Energy Efficiency (ENEF) measures. However, most of the MENA countries have a limited track record as regards CDM projects in the pipeline comparing to the major CDM-players, like Asia-Pacific regions and Latin America. In the above framework, this paper investigates the current status of CDM in the MENA region and the related perspectives for further diffusion of the CDM though the elaboration of a Strengths-Weaknesses-Opportunities and Threats (SWOT) Analysis. Particular emphasis is laid on the case of Israel, which seems to make an exception to the rule, since it hosts most projects in the region and dominates among the MENA countries.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Doukas, Haris & Karakosta, Charikleia & Psarras, John, 2009. "RES technology transfer within the new climate regime: A "helicopter" view under the CDM," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 13(5), pages 1138-1143, June.
- Dechezleprêtre, Antoine & Glachant, Matthieu & Ménière, Yann, 2008.
"The Clean Development Mechanism and the international diffusion of technologies: An empirical study,"
Elsevier, vol. 36(4), pages 1273-1283, April.
- Matthieu Glachant & Antoine Dechezleprêtre & Yann Ménière, 2007. "The Clean Development Mechanism and the International Diffusion of Technologies: An Empirical Study," Working Papers 2007.105, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Antoine Dechezleprêtre & Matthieu Glachant & Yann Ménière, 2008. "The Clean Development Mechanism and the International Diffusion of Technologies: An Empirical Study," Post-Print hal-00397198, HAL.
- Georgiou, P. & Tourkolias, C. & Diakoulaki, D., 2008. "A roadmap for selecting host countries of wind energy projects in the framework of the clean development mechanism," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 12(3), pages 712-731, April.
- Zhang, ZhongXiang, 2008. "Asian energy and environmental policy: Promoting growth while preserving the environment," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(10), pages 3905-3924, October.
- Zhang, ZhongXiang, 2008. "Asian Energy and Environmental Policy: Promoting Growth While Preserving the Environment," MPRA Paper 12224, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Bahgat, G., 2005. "Energy partnership: Israel and the Persian Gulf," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(5), pages 671-677, March.
- Doukas, Haris & Patlitzianas, Konstantinos D. & Psarras, John, 2006. "Supporting sustainable electricity technologies in Greece using MCDM," Resources Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 129-136, June.
- Michaelowa, Axel & Jotzo, Frank, 2005. "Transaction costs, institutional rigidities and the size of the clean development mechanism," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(4), pages 511-523, March.
- Wolfgang Sterk & Bettina Wittneben, 2006. "Enhancing the clean development mechanism through sectoral approaches: definitions, applications and ways forward," International Environmental Agreements: Politics, Law and Economics, Springer, vol. 6(3), pages 271-287, September.
- Naidu, B. S. K., 1996. "Indian scenario of renewable energy for sustainable development," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 24(6), pages 575-581, June.
- Karakosta, Charikleia & Doukas, Haris & Psarras, John, 2009. "Sustainable energy technologies in Israel under the CDM: Needs and prospects," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 34(5), pages 1399-1406.
- Jung, Martina, 2006. "Host country attractiveness for CDM non-sink projects," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(15), pages 2173-2184, October.
- Greening, Lorna A. & Bernow, Steve, 2004. "Design of coordinated energy and environmental policies: use of multi-criteria decision-making," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 32(6), pages 721-735, April.
- Schneider, Malte & Holzer, Andreas & Hoffmann, Volker H., 2008. "Understanding the CDM's contribution to technology transfer," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(8), pages 2920-2928, August.
- Masozera, Michel K. & Alavalapati, Janaki R.R. & Jacobson, Susan K. & Shrestha, Ram K., 2006. "Assessing the suitability of community-based management for the Nyungwe Forest Reserve, Rwanda," Forest Policy and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(2), pages 206-216, March.
- Mauerhofer, Volker, 2008. "3-D Sustainability: An approach for priority setting in situation of conflicting interests towards a Sustainable Development," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 64(3), pages 496-506, January.
- Dechezleprêtre, Antoine & Glachant, Matthieu & Ménière, Yann, 2009. "Technology transfer by CDM projects: A comparison of Brazil, China, India and Mexico," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 703-711, February.
- Antoine Dechezleprêtre & Matthieu Glachant & Yann Ménière, 2009. "Technology transfer by CDM projects: A comparison of Brazil, China, India and Mexico," Post-Print hal-00437547, HAL.
- Kurttila, Mikko & Pesonen, Mauno & Kangas, Jyrki & Kajanus, Miika, 2000. "Utilizing the analytic hierarchy process (AHP) in SWOT analysis -- a hybrid method and its application to a forest-certification case," Forest Policy and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 41-52, May.
- Jacquet-Lagreze, Eric & Siskos, Yannis, 2001. "Preference disaggregation: 20 years of MCDA experience," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 130(2), pages 233-245, April.
- Pohekar, S. D. & Ramachandran, M., 2004. "Application of multi-criteria decision making to sustainable energy planning--A review," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 8(4), pages 365-381, August.
- Terrados, J. & Almonacid, G. & Hontoria, L., 2007. "Regional energy planning through SWOT analysis and strategic planning tools.: Impact on renewables development," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 11(6), pages 1275-1287, August.
- Olsen, Karen Holm & Fenhann, Jørgen, 2008. "Sustainable development benefits of clean development mechanism projects: A new methodology for sustainability assessment based on text analysis of the project design documents submitted for validatio," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(8), pages 2773-2784, August. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)