EU-MENA energy technology transfer under the CDM: Israel as a frontrunner?
The majority of the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) countries possess substantial potential for the implementation of CDM projects. Abatement of Greenhouse Gas (GHG) emissions can mainly be achieved through utilizing the abundant Renewable Energy Sources (RES) in the region and the implementation of Energy Efficiency (ENEF) measures. However, most of the MENA countries have a limited track record as regards CDM projects in the pipeline comparing to the major CDM-players, like Asia-Pacific regions and Latin America. In the above framework, this paper investigates the current status of CDM in the MENA region and the related perspectives for further diffusion of the CDM though the elaboration of a Strengths-Weaknesses-Opportunities and Threats (SWOT) Analysis. Particular emphasis is laid on the case of Israel, which seems to make an exception to the rule, since it hosts most projects in the region and dominates among the MENA countries.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Greening, Lorna A. & Bernow, Steve, 2004. "Design of coordinated energy and environmental policies: use of multi-criteria decision-making," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 32(6), pages 721-735, April.
- Olsen, Karen Holm & Fenhann, Jørgen, 2008. "Sustainable development benefits of clean development mechanism projects: A new methodology for sustainability assessment based on text analysis of the project design documents submitted for validatio," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(8), pages 2773-2784, August.
- Mauerhofer, Volker, 2008. "3-D Sustainability: An approach for priority setting in situation of conflicting interests towards a Sustainable Development," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 64(3), pages 496-506, January.
- Zhang, ZhongXiang, 2008.
"Asian energy and environmental policy: Promoting growth while preserving the environment,"
Elsevier, vol. 36(10), pages 3905-3924, October.
- Zhang, ZhongXiang, 2008. "Asian Energy and Environmental Policy: Promoting Growth While Preserving the Environment," MPRA Paper 12224, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Matthieu Glachant & Antoine Dechezleprêtre & Yann Ménière, 2007.
"The Clean Development Mechanism and the International Diffusion of Technologies: An Empirical Study,"
2007.105, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Dechezleprêtre, Antoine & Glachant, Matthieu & Ménière, Yann, 2008. "The Clean Development Mechanism and the international diffusion of technologies: An empirical study," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(4), pages 1273-1283, April.
- Antoine Dechezleprêtre & Matthieu Glachant & Yann Ménière, 2008. "The Clean Development Mechanism and the International Diffusion of Technologies: An Empirical Study," Post-Print hal-00397198, HAL.
- Michaelowa, Axel & Jotzo, Frank, 2005. "Transaction costs, institutional rigidities and the size of the clean development mechanism," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(4), pages 511-523, March.
- Kurttila, Mikko & Pesonen, Mauno & Kangas, Jyrki & Kajanus, Miika, 2000. "Utilizing the analytic hierarchy process (AHP) in SWOT analysis -- a hybrid method and its application to a forest-certification case," Forest Policy and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 41-52, May.
- Doukas, Haris & Karakosta, Charikleia & Psarras, John, 2009. "RES technology transfer within the new climate regime: A "helicopter" view under the CDM," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 13(5), pages 1138-1143, June.
- Antoine Dechezleprêtre & Matthieu Glachant & Yann Ménière, 2009.
"Technology transfer by CDM projects: A comparison of Brazil, China, India and Mexico,"
- Dechezleprêtre, Antoine & Glachant, Matthieu & Ménière, Yann, 2009. "Technology transfer by CDM projects: A comparison of Brazil, China, India and Mexico," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 703-711, February.
- Schneider, Malte & Holzer, Andreas & Hoffmann, Volker H., 2008. "Understanding the CDM's contribution to technology transfer," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(8), pages 2920-2928, August.
- Bahgat, G., 2005. "Energy partnership: Israel and the Persian Gulf," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(5), pages 671-677, March.
- Naidu, B. S. K., 1996. "Indian scenario of renewable energy for sustainable development," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 24(6), pages 575-581, June.
- Jung, Martina, 2006. "Host country attractiveness for CDM non-sink projects," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(15), pages 2173-2184, October.
- Wolfgang Sterk & Bettina Wittneben, 2006. "Enhancing the clean development mechanism through sectoral approaches: definitions, applications and ways forward," International Environmental Agreements: Politics, Law and Economics, Springer, vol. 6(3), pages 271-287, September.
- Georgiou, P. & Tourkolias, C. & Diakoulaki, D., 2008. "A roadmap for selecting host countries of wind energy projects in the framework of the clean development mechanism," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 12(3), pages 712-731, April.
- Pohekar, S. D. & Ramachandran, M., 2004. "Application of multi-criteria decision making to sustainable energy planning--A review," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 8(4), pages 365-381, August.
- Jacquet-Lagreze, Eric & Siskos, Yannis, 2001. "Preference disaggregation: 20 years of MCDA experience," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 130(2), pages 233-245, April.
- Masozera, Michel K. & Alavalapati, Janaki R.R. & Jacobson, Susan K. & Shrestha, Ram K., 2006. "Assessing the suitability of community-based management for the Nyungwe Forest Reserve, Rwanda," Forest Policy and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(2), pages 206-216, March.
- Terrados, J. & Almonacid, G. & Hontoria, L., 2007. "Regional energy planning through SWOT analysis and strategic planning tools.: Impact on renewables development," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 11(6), pages 1275-1287, August.
- Doukas, Haris & Patlitzianas, Konstantinos D. & Psarras, John, 2006. "Supporting sustainable electricity technologies in Greece using MCDM," Resources Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 129-136, June.
- Karakosta, Charikleia & Doukas, Haris & Psarras, John, 2009. "Sustainable energy technologies in Israel under the CDM: Needs and prospects," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 34(5), pages 1399-1406.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:enepol:v:38:y:2010:i:5:p:2455-2462. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.