Implementing the Clean Development Mechanism in Vietnam: potential and limitations
The Clean Development Mechanism (CDM) in Vietnam is used way below its full potential. In spite of efforts to further CDM projects in the recent years, Vietnam still lags behind the comparable neighboring countries in term of registered CDM projects. Especially, though 2008 and 2009 have seen a fast growth in the pipeline in the country but only 14 projects were registered as at 2 December 2009. This development progress is low to the country's greater potential and makes it as a late starter on the global CDM rise when the window of opportunity created by the first Kyoto Protocol period has almost closed. This paper analyzes the barriers explaining this late start and slow catch-up. It suggests strategic policy recommendations which could increase the attractiveness of investment business in the context of climate change protection in Vietnam.
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published, Improving the Clean Development Mechanism. Options and Challenges Post-2012, Lexxion, Berlin (Ed.), 2011, 221-246|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: http://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00654294/en/|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Karp, Larry & Zhao, Jinhua, 2008.
"A Proposal for the Design of the Successor to the Kyoto Protocol,"
Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley, Working Paper Series
qt35n7x8mt, Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley.
- Karp, Larry & Zhao, Jinhua, 2008. "A proposal for the design of the successor to the Kyoto protocol," CUDARE Working Paper Series 1065, University of California at Berkeley, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics and Policy.
- Nhan Thanh Nguyen & Minh Ha-Duong, 2009.
"Economic Potential of Renewable Energy in Vietnam's Power Sector,"
- Nguyen, Nhan T. & Ha-Duong, Minh, 2009. "Economic potential of renewable energy in Vietnam's power sector," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(5), pages 1601-1613, May.
- Nguyen, Thanh Nhan & Ha-Duong, Minh, 2008. "ECONOMIC Potential of Renewable Energy in Vietnam's Power Sector," MPRA Paper 21173, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Nhan Thanh Nguyen & Minh Ha-Duong & Thanh C. Tran & Ram M. Shrestha & Franck Nadaud, 2010. "Barriers to the adoption of renewable and energy-efficient technologies in the Vietnamese power sector," Post-Print halshs-00444826, HAL.
- repec:hal:wpaper:halshs-00444826 is not listed on IDEAS
- Michaelowa, Axel & Jotzo, Frank, 2005. "Transaction costs, institutional rigidities and the size of the clean development mechanism," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(4), pages 511-523, March.
- Christopher Zegras, P., 2007. "As if Kyoto mattered: The clean development mechanism and transportation," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(10), pages 5136-5150, October.
- Olsen, Karen Holm & Fenhann, Jørgen, 2008. "Sustainable development benefits of clean development mechanism projects: A new methodology for sustainability assessment based on text analysis of the project design documents submitted for validatio," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(8), pages 2773-2784, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:journl:halshs-00654294. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.