Evidence of the clean development mechanism impact on the Chinese electric power system's low-carbon transition
The extension of the Kyoto Protocol till 2020 has left uncertainty dominating the future of climate change negotiations. Meanwhile on-going debate on the variety of measures introduced by the Protocol demonstrate that there is no consensus among academics and policy makers on the efficacy of those measures. By focusing on a specific but extensive case-study, which encompasses the whole contribution of the clean development mechanism (CDM) to the Chinese electricity production sector, this paper aims to reflect upon the effectiveness of that mechanism during its originally planned lifetime (which was to be the end of 2012). The paper contributes to the international debate by offering a new evidence-based perspective on the efficacy of the CDM in a strategic sector of the most relevant non-Annex I country. The obtained empirical results can serve as evaluation instruments for both academics and policy makers involved in the elaboration of a new Protocol and its related mechanisms, while at the same time offering a stimulus for further analyses sharing similar objectives. The results reveal a new perspective on the Chinese electricity system's low-carbon transition, while prompting debate over the original efficacy of the CDM.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chang, XiaoLin & Liu, Xinghong & Zhou, Wei, 2010. "Hydropower in China at present and its further development," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 35(11), pages 4400-4406.
- Michael Grubb & Tim Laing & Thomas Counsell & Catherine Willan, 2011. "Global carbon mechanisms: lessons and implications," Climatic Change, Springer, vol. 104(3), pages 539-573, February.
- Liming, Huang, 2009. "Financing rural renewable energy: A comparison between China and India," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 13(5), pages 1096-1103, June.
- Li, Jun, 2010. "Decarbonising power generation in China--Is the answer blowing in the wind?," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 14(4), pages 1154-1171, May.
- Zhang, ZhongXiang, 2004.
"Towards an effective implementation of clean development mechanism projects in China,"
13147, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Jul 2005.
- Zhang, ZhongXiang, 2006. "Toward an effective implementation of clean development mechanism projects in China," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(18), pages 3691-3701, December.
- Wang, Qiang & Chen, Yong, 2010. "Barriers and opportunities of using the clean development mechanism to advance renewable energy development in China," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 14(7), pages 1989-1998, September.
- Changliang, Xia & Zhanfeng, Song, 2009. "Wind energy in China: Current scenario and future perspectives," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 13(8), pages 1966-1974, October.
- Bernstein, Paul M. & Montgomery, W. David & Tuladhar, Sugandha D., 2006. "Potential for reducing carbon emissions from non-Annex B countries through changes in technology," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(5-6), pages 742-762, November.
- Emma Paulsson, 2009. "A review of the CDM literature: from fine-tuning to critical scrutiny?," International Environmental Agreements: Politics, Law and Economics, Springer, vol. 9(1), pages 63-80, February.
- ZhongXiang Zhang, 2010.
"China in the Transition to a Low-Carbon Economy,"
Economics Study Area Working Papers
109, East-West Center, Economics Study Area.
- Zhao, Zhen-Yu & Zuo, Jian & Fan, Lei-Lei & Zillante, George, 2011. "Impacts of renewable energy regulations on the structure of power generation in China – A critical analysis," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 36(1), pages 24-30.
- Antoine Dechezleprêtre & Matthieu Glachant & Yann Ménière, 2008.
"The Clean Development Mechanism and the International Diffusion of Technologies: An Empirical Study,"
- Dechezleprêtre, Antoine & Glachant, Matthieu & Ménière, Yann, 2008. "The Clean Development Mechanism and the international diffusion of technologies: An empirical study," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(4), pages 1273-1283, April.
- Matthieu Glachant & Antoine Dechezleprêtre & Yann Ménière, 2007. "The Clean Development Mechanism and the International Diffusion of Technologies: An Empirical Study," Working Papers 2007.105, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- van Kooten, G. Cornelis & Timilsina, Govinda R., 2009. "Wind power development : economics and policies," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4868, The World Bank.
- Schroeder, Miriam, 2009. "Utilizing the clean development mechanism for the deployment of renewable energies in China," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 86(2), pages 237-242, February.
- Zhou, Sheng & Zhang, Xiliang & Liu, Jinghe, 2009. "The trend of small hydropower development in China," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 34(4), pages 1078-1083.
- Yang, Ming, 2009. "Climate change and energy policies, coal and coalmine methane in China," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(8), pages 2858-2869, August.
- Michaelowa, Axel & Jotzo, Frank, 2005. "Transaction costs, institutional rigidities and the size of the clean development mechanism," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(4), pages 511-523, March.
- Wang, Bo, 2010. "Can CDM bring technology transfer to China?--An empirical study of technology transfer in China's CDM projects," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(5), pages 2572-2585, May.
- Teng, Fei & Zhang, Xiliang, 2010. "Clean development mechanism practice in China: Current status and possibilities for future regime," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 35(11), pages 4328-4335.
- Wang, Feng & Yin, Haitao & Li, Shoude, 2010. "China's renewable energy policy: Commitments and challenges," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(4), pages 1872-1878, April.
- Guiyang Zhuang, 2006. "Role of China in Global Carbon Market," China & World Economy, Institute of World Economics and Politics, Chinese Academy of Social Sciences, vol. 14(5), pages 93-104.
- Florens Flues & Axel Michaelowa & Katharina Michaelowa, 2010. "What determines UN approval of greenhouse gas emission reduction projects in developing countries?," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 145(1), pages 1-24, October.
- Lambert Schneider, 2009. "A Clean Development Mechanism with global atmospheric benefits for a post-2012 climate regime," International Environmental Agreements: Politics, Law and Economics, Springer, vol. 9(2), pages 95-111, May.
- Suocheng, Dong & Tong, Kurt W. & Yuping, Wu, 2001. "Municipal solid waste management in China: using commercial management to solve a growing problem," Utilities Policy, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 7-11, March.
- Qishe Yan & Chang-Bo Zhou & Peng Qu & Rui-qin Zhang, 2009. "The promotion of clean development mechanism to cement industry capturing waste heat for power generation in China," Mitigation and Adaptation Strategies for Global Change, Springer, vol. 14(8), pages 793-804, December.
- Castro, Paula & Michaelowa, Axel, 2010. "The impact of discounting emission credits on the competitiveness of different CDM host countries," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 70(1), pages 34-42, November.
- Yu, James & Ji, Fuxing & Zhang, Ling & Chen, Yushou, 2009. "An over painted oriental arts: Evaluation of the development of the Chinese renewable energy market using the wind power market as a model," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(12), pages 5221-5225, December.
- Dan Shi, 2009. "Analysis of China's Renewable Energy Development under the Current Economic and Technical Circumstances," China & World Economy, Institute of World Economics and Politics, Chinese Academy of Social Sciences, vol. 17(2), pages 94-109.
- Alexandros Flamos, 2010. "The clean development mechanism—catalyst for wide spread deployment of renewable energy technologies? or misnomer?," Environment, Development and Sustainability, Springer, vol. 12(1), pages 89-102, February.
- Eva Lövbrand & Teresia Rindefjäll & Joakim Nordqvist, 2009. "Closing the Legitimacy Gap in Global Environmental Governance? Lessons from the Emerging CDM Market," Global Environmental Politics, MIT Press, vol. 9(2), pages 74-100, May.
- Zhang, Jianling & Wang, Guoshun, 2008. "Energy saving technologies and productive efficiency in the Chinese iron and steel sector," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 33(4), pages 525-537.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:enepol:v:62:y:2013:i:c:p:1309-1319. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.