Evidence of the clean development mechanism impact on the Chinese electric power system's low-carbon transition
The extension of the Kyoto Protocol till 2020 has left uncertainty dominating the future of climate change negotiations. Meanwhile on-going debate on the variety of measures introduced by the Protocol demonstrate that there is no consensus among academics and policy makers on the efficacy of those measures. By focusing on a specific but extensive case-study, which encompasses the whole contribution of the clean development mechanism (CDM) to the Chinese electricity production sector, this paper aims to reflect upon the effectiveness of that mechanism during its originally planned lifetime (which was to be the end of 2012). The paper contributes to the international debate by offering a new evidence-based perspective on the efficacy of the CDM in a strategic sector of the most relevant non-Annex I country. The obtained empirical results can serve as evaluation instruments for both academics and policy makers involved in the elaboration of a new Protocol and its related mechanisms, while at the same time offering a stimulus for further analyses sharing similar objectives. The results reveal a new perspective on the Chinese electricity system's low-carbon transition, while prompting debate over the original efficacy of the CDM.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Zhao, Zhen-Yu & Zuo, Jian & Fan, Lei-Lei & Zillante, George, 2011. "Impacts of renewable energy regulations on the structure of power generation in China – A critical analysis," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 36(1), pages 24-30.
- Wang, Qiang & Chen, Yong, 2010. "Barriers and opportunities of using the clean development mechanism to advance renewable energy development in China," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 14(7), pages 1989-1998, September.
- Zhang, Jianling & Wang, Guoshun, 2008. "Energy saving technologies and productive efficiency in the Chinese iron and steel sector," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 33(4), pages 525-537.
- Wang, Feng & Yin, Haitao & Li, Shoude, 2010. "China's renewable energy policy: Commitments and challenges," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(4), pages 1872-1878, April.
- Emma Paulsson, 2009. "A review of the CDM literature: from fine-tuning to critical scrutiny?," International Environmental Agreements- Politics, Law and Economics, Springer, vol. 9(1), pages 63-80, February.
- van Kooten, G. Cornelis & Timilsina, Govinda R., 2009. "Wind power development : economics and policies," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4868, The World Bank.
- Yu, James & Ji, Fuxing & Zhang, Ling & Chen, Yushou, 2009. "An over painted oriental arts: Evaluation of the development of the Chinese renewable energy market using the wind power market as a model," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(12), pages 5221-5225, December.
- Florens Flues & Axel Michaelowa & Katharina Michaelowa, 2010. "What determines UN approval of greenhouse gas emission reduction projects in developing countries?," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 145(1), pages 1-24, October.
- Zhou, Sheng & Zhang, Xiliang & Liu, Jinghe, 2009. "The trend of small hydropower development in China," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 34(4), pages 1078-1083.
- Liming, Huang, 2009. "Financing rural renewable energy: A comparison between China and India," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 13(5), pages 1096-1103, June.
- Michael Grubb & Tim Laing & Thomas Counsell & Catherine Willan, 2011. "Global carbon mechanisms: lessons and implications," Climatic Change, Springer, vol. 104(3), pages 539-573, February.
- Dan Shi, 2009. "Analysis of China's Renewable Energy Development under the Current Economic and Technical Circumstances," China & World Economy, Institute of World Economics and Politics, Chinese Academy of Social Sciences, vol. 17(2), pages 94-109.
- Zhang, ZhongXiang, 2010.
"China in the transition to a low-carbon economy,"
Elsevier, vol. 38(11), pages 6638-6653, November.
- Wang, Bo, 2010. "Can CDM bring technology transfer to China?--An empirical study of technology transfer in China's CDM projects," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(5), pages 2572-2585, May.
- Michaelowa, Axel & Jotzo, Frank, 2005. "Transaction costs, institutional rigidities and the size of the clean development mechanism," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(4), pages 511-523, March.
- Chang, XiaoLin & Liu, Xinghong & Zhou, Wei, 2010. "Hydropower in China at present and its further development," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 35(11), pages 4400-4406.
- Castro, Paula & Michaelowa, Axel, 2010. "The impact of discounting emission credits on the competitiveness of different CDM host countries," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 70(1), pages 34-42, November.
- Li, Jun, 2010. "Decarbonising power generation in China--Is the answer blowing in the wind?," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 14(4), pages 1154-1171, May.
- Zhang, ZhongXiang, 2004.
"Towards an effective implementation of clean development mechanism projects in China,"
13147, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Jul 2005.
- Zhang, ZhongXiang, 2006. "Toward an effective implementation of clean development mechanism projects in China," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(18), pages 3691-3701, December.
- Dechezleprêtre, Antoine & Glachant, Matthieu & Ménière, Yann, 2008.
"The Clean Development Mechanism and the international diffusion of technologies: An empirical study,"
Elsevier, vol. 36(4), pages 1273-1283, April.
- Antoine Dechezleprêtre & Matthieu Glachant & Yann Ménière, 2008. "The Clean Development Mechanism and the International Diffusion of Technologies: An Empirical Study," Post-Print hal-00397198, HAL.
- Matthieu Glachant & Antoine Dechezleprêtre & Yann Ménière, 2007. "The Clean Development Mechanism and the International Diffusion of Technologies: An Empirical Study," Working Papers 2007.105, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Alexandros Flamos, 2010. "The clean development mechanism—catalyst for wide spread deployment of renewable energy technologies? or misnomer?," Environment, Development and Sustainability- A Multidisciplinary Approach to the Theory and Practice of Sustainable Development, Springer, vol. 12(1), pages 89-102, February.
- Guiyang Zhuang, 2006. "Role of China in Global Carbon Market," China & World Economy, Institute of World Economics and Politics, Chinese Academy of Social Sciences, vol. 14(5), pages 93-104.
- Changliang, Xia & Zhanfeng, Song, 2009. "Wind energy in China: Current scenario and future perspectives," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 13(8), pages 1966-1974, October.
- Lambert Schneider, 2009. "A Clean Development Mechanism with global atmospheric benefits for a post-2012 climate regime," International Environmental Agreements- Politics, Law and Economics, Springer, vol. 9(2), pages 95-111, May.
- Yang, Ming, 2009. "Climate change and energy policies, coal and coalmine methane in China," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(8), pages 2858-2869, August.
- Bernstein, Paul M. & Montgomery, W. David & Tuladhar, Sugandha D., 2006. "Potential for reducing carbon emissions from non-Annex B countries through changes in technology," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(5-6), pages 742-762, November.
- Teng, Fei & Zhang, Xiliang, 2010. "Clean development mechanism practice in China: Current status and possibilities for future regime," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 35(11), pages 4328-4335.
- Eva Lövbrand & Teresia Rindefjäll & Joakim Nordqvist, 2009. "Closing the Legitimacy Gap in Global Environmental Governance? Lessons from the Emerging CDM Market," Global Environmental Politics, MIT Press, vol. 9(2), pages 74-100, May.
- Suocheng, Dong & Tong, Kurt W. & Yuping, Wu, 2001. "Municipal solid waste management in China: using commercial management to solve a growing problem," Utilities Policy, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 7-11, March.
- Qishe Yan & Chang-Bo Zhou & Peng Qu & Rui-qin Zhang, 2009. "The promotion of clean development mechanism to cement industry capturing waste heat for power generation in China," Mitigation and Adaptation Strategies for Global Change, Springer, vol. 14(8), pages 793-804, December.
- Schroeder, Miriam, 2009. "Utilizing the clean development mechanism for the deployment of renewable energies in China," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 86(2), pages 237-242, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:enepol:v:62:y:2013:i:c:p:1309-1319. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.