Dependence and extreme dependence of crude oil and natural gas prices with applications to risk management
In this article, we show how the copula-GARCH approach can be appropriately used to investigate the conditional dependence structure between the crude oil and natural gas markets as well as to derive implications for portfolio risk management in extreme economic conditions. Using daily price data from January 1997 to October 2011, our in-sample results show evidence of asymmetric dependence between the two markets. The crude oil and gas markets tend to comove closely together during bullish periods, but not at all during bearish periods. Moreover, taking the extreme comovement into account leads to an improvement in the accuracy of the out-of-sample Value-at-Risk forecasts.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stephen P. A. Brown & Mine K. Yucel, 2008.
"What Drives Natural Gas Prices?,"
The Energy Journal,
International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 2), pages 45-60.
- Robert F. Engle & Simone Manganelli, 2004.
"CAViaR: Conditional Autoregressive Value at Risk by Regression Quantiles,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 22, pages 367-381, October.
- Engle, Robert F & Manganelli, Simone, 1999. "CAViaR: Conditional Autoregressive Value at Risk by Regression Quantiles," University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series qt06m3d6nv, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- Robert Engle & Simone Manganelli, 2000. "CAViaR: Conditional Autoregressive Value at Risk by Regression Quantiles," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 0841, Econometric Society.
- Bollerslev, Tim, 1986.
"Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 307-327, April.
- Tim Bollerslev, 1986. "Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity," EERI Research Paper Series EERI RP 1986/01, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Serena Ng & Pierre Perron, 2001.
"LAG Length Selection and the Construction of Unit Root Tests with Good Size and Power,"
Econometric Society, vol. 69(6), pages 1519-1554, November.
- Serena Ng & Pierre Perron, 1997. "Lag Length Selection and the Construction of Unit Root Tests with Good Size and Power," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 369, Boston College Department of Economics, revised 01 Sep 2000.
- Paul H. Kupiec, 1995. "Techniques for verifying the accuracy of risk measurement models," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 95-24, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Peter R. Hartley & Kenneth B Medlock III & Jennifer E. Rosthal, 2008. "The Relationship of Natural Gas to Oil Prices," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 3), pages 47-66.
- Jondeau, Eric & Rockinger, Michael, 2006. "The Copula-GARCH model of conditional dependencies: An international stock market application," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 25(5), pages 827-853, August.
- Aloui, Chaker & Jammazi, Rania, 2009. "The effects of crude oil shocks on stock market shifts behaviour: A regime switching approach," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(5), pages 789-799, September.
- Ning, Cathy, 2010. "Dependence structure between the equity market and the foreign exchange market-A copula approach," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(5), pages 743-759, September.
- Baur, Dirk & Schulze, Niels, 2005. "Coexceedances in financial markets--a quantile regression analysis of contagion," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 21-43, April.
- Riadh Aloui & Mohamed Safouane Ben Aïssa & Duc Khuong Nguyen, 2014.
"Conditional dependence structure between oil prices and exchange rates: A copula-GARCH approach,"
2014-564, Department of Research, Ipag Business School.
- Aloui, Riadh & Ben Aïssa, Mohamed Safouane & Nguyen, Duc Khuong, 2013. "Conditional dependence structure between oil prices and exchange rates: A copula-GARCH approach," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(C), pages 719-738.
- Fermanian, Jean-David, 2005. "Goodness-of-fit tests for copulas," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 95(1), pages 119-152, July.
- Aloui, Riadh & Aïssa, Mohamed Safouane Ben & Nguyen, Duc Khuong, 2011.
"Global financial crisis, extreme interdependences, and contagion effects: The role of economic structure?,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 130-141, January.
- Riadh Aloui & Mohamed Safouane Ben Aissa & Khuong Nguyen Duc, 2010. "Global Financial Crisis, Extreme Interdependences, and Contagion E§ects: The Role of Economic Structure," Working Papers 15, Development and Policies Research Center (DEPOCEN), Vietnam.
- Sadorsky, Perry, 2006. "Modeling and forecasting petroleum futures volatility," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(4), pages 467-488, July.
- François Longin, 2001. "Extreme Correlation of International Equity Markets," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 56(2), pages 649-676, 04.
- Ivan Kojadinovic & Jun Yan, . "Modeling Multivariate Distributions with Continuous Margins Using the copula R Package," Journal of Statistical Software, American Statistical Association, vol. 34(i09).
- Gilmore, Claire G. & Lucey, Brian M. & McManus, Ginette M., 2008. "The dynamics of Central European equity market comovements," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 48(3), pages 605-622, August.
- Jorge A. Chan-Lau & Donald J. Mathieson & James Y. Yao, 2004. "Extreme Contagion in Equity Markets," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 51(2), pages 8.
- Charlotte Christiansen & Angelo Ranaldo, 2008.
"Extreme Coexceedances in New EU Member States' Stock Markets,"
2008-10, Swiss National Bank.
- Christiansen, Charlotte & Ranaldo, Angelo, 2009. "Extreme coexceedances in new EU member states' stock markets," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 33(6), pages 1048-1057, June.
- Charlotte Christiansen & Angelo Ranaldo, 2007. "Extreme Coexceedances in New EU Member States’ Stock Markets," CREATES Research Papers 2007-34, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- Choe, Geon Ho & Jang, Hyun Jin, 2011. "Efficient algorithms for basket default swap pricing with multivariate Archimedean copulas," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 48(2), pages 205-213, March.
- Regnier, Eva, 2007. "Oil and energy price volatility," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 405-427, May.
- Frank Asche & Petter Osmundsen & Maria Sandsmark, 2006. "The UK Market for Natural Gas, Oil and Electricity: Are the Prices Decoupled?," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 2), pages 27-40.
- Kee-Hong Bae & G. Andrew Karolyi & Rene M. Stulz, 2000.
"A New Approach to Measuring Financial Contagion,"
NBER Working Papers
7913, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Christian Genest & Jean-François Quessy & Bruno Rémillard, 2006. "Goodness-of-fit Procedures for Copula Models Based on the Probability Integral Transformation," Scandinavian Journal of Statistics, Danish Society for Theoretical Statistics;Finnish Statistical Society;Norwegian Statistical Association;Swedish Statistical Association, vol. 33(2), pages 337-366.
- Abad, Pilar & Chuliá, Helena & Gómez-Puig, Marta, 2009.
"EMU and European government bond market integration,"
Working Paper Series
1079, European Central Bank.
- Abad, Pilar & Chuliá, Helena & Gómez-Puig, Marta, 2010. "EMU and European government bond market integration," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(12), pages 2851-2860, December.
- Serletis, Apostolos & Herbert, John, 1999. "The message in North American energy prices," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(5), pages 471-483, October.
- Kristin Forbes & Roberto Rigobon, 1999.
"No Contagion, Only Interdependence: Measuring Stock Market Co-movements,"
NBER Working Papers
7267, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kristin J. Forbes & Roberto Rigobon, 2002. "No Contagion, Only Interdependence: Measuring Stock Market Comovements," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 57(5), pages 2223-2261, October.
- Mine K. Vücel & Shengyi Guo, 1994. "Fuel Taxes And Cointegration Of Energy Prices," Contemporary Economic Policy, Western Economic Association International, vol. 12(3), pages 33-41, 07.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:eneeco:v:42:y:2014:i:c:p:332-342. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.