Separating the wheat from the chaff: Understanding portfolio returns in an emerging market
In this paper we apply Random Matrix Theory (RMT) to study daily return correlations of 83 companies that are part of the Chilean stock market during the period 2000 to 2011. We find that using RMT to identify statistically significant correlations within our sample of stocks significantly improves the efficiency of a family of Markowitz Portfolios. Moreover, by using Vector Autoregressive analysis we identify global risk aversion as the main driver of the Chilean equity market returns followed in importance by shocks to the monthly rate of inflation and the country's monetary policy rate. By studying the effects of macroeconomic variables on the constructed portfolio returns we reach a better understanding of the true risks involved in an emerging market portfolio.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Raj Kumar Pan & Sitabhra Sinha, 2007. "Collective behavior of stock price movements in an emerging market," Papers 0704.0773, arXiv.org, revised Nov 2007.
- Drożdż, S & Grümmer, F & Górski, A.Z & Ruf, F & Speth, J, 2000. "Dynamics of competition between collectivity and noise in the stock market," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 287(3), pages 440-449.
- Plerou, V & Gopikrishnan, P & Rosenow, B & Amaral, L.A.N & Stanley, H.E, 2000. "A random matrix theory approach to financial cross-correlations," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 287(3), pages 374-382.
- Nilantha, K.G.D.R. & Ranasinghe, & Malmini, P.K.C., 2007. "Eigenvalue density of cross-correlations in Sri Lankan financial market," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 378(2), pages 345-356.
- Burda, Z. & Görlich, A. & Jarosz, A. & Jurkiewicz, J., 2004. "Signal and noise in correlation matrix," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 343(C), pages 295-310.
- Vasiliki Plerou & Parameswaran Gopikrishnan & Bernd Rosenow & Luis A. Nunes Amaral & H. Eugene Stanley, 1999. "Universal and non-universal properties of cross-correlations in financial time series," Papers cond-mat/9902283, arXiv.org.
- Varsha Kulkarni & Nivedita Deo, 2007. "Correlation and volatility in an Indian stock market: A random matrix approach," The European Physical Journal B: Condensed Matter and Complex Systems, Springer;EDP Sciences, vol. 60(1), pages 101-109, November.
- Pesaran, H. Hashem & Shin, Yongcheol, 1998.
"Generalized impulse response analysis in linear multivariate models,"
Elsevier, vol. 58(1), pages 17-29, January.
- Pesaran, M. H. & Shin, Y., 1997. "Generalised Impulse Response Analysis in Linear Multivariate Models," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 9710, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Varga-Haszonits, I. & Kondor, I., 2007. "Noise sensitivity of portfolio selection in constant conditional correlation GARCH models," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 385(1), pages 307-318.
- Ang, Andrew & Chen, Joseph, 2002. "Asymmetric correlations of equity portfolios," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 63(3), pages 443-494, March.
- Wilcox, Diane & Gebbie, Tim, 2007. "An analysis of cross-correlations in an emerging market," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 375(2), pages 584-598.
- Rosenow, Bernd, 2008. "Determining the optimal dimensionality of multivariate volatility models with tools from random matrix theory," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 279-302, January.
- Dong-Ming Song & Michele Tumminello & Wei-Xing Zhou & Rosario N. Mantegna, 2011. "Evolution of worldwide stock markets, correlation structure and correlation based graphs," Papers 1103.5555, arXiv.org.
- Plerou, V. & Gopikrishnan, P. & Rosenow, B. & Amaral, L.A.N. & Stanley, H.E., 2001. "Collective behavior of stock price movements—a random matrix theory approach," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 299(1), pages 175-180.
- Bollerslev, Tim, 1990. "Modelling the Coherence in Short-run Nominal Exchange Rates: A Multivariate Generalized ARCH Model," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 72(3), pages 498-505, August.
- Zdzislaw Burda & Jerzy Jurkiewicz, 2003. "Signal and Noise in Financial Correlation Matrices," Papers cond-mat/0312496, arXiv.org, revised Feb 2004.
- Burda, Zdzisław & Jurkiewicz, Jerzy, 2004. "Signal and noise in financial correlation matrices," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 344(1), pages 67-72.
- Malevergne, Y. & Sornette, D., 2004. "Collective origin of the coexistence of apparent random matrix theory noise and of factors in large sample correlation matrices," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 331(3), pages 660-668.
- Plerou, Vasiliki & Gopikrishnan, Parameswaran & Rosenow, Bernd & Amaral, Luis A.N. & Stanley, H.Eugene, 2000. "Econophysics: financial time series from a statistical physics point of view," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 279(1), pages 443-456.
- Bunda, Irina & Hamann, A. Javier & Lall, Subir, 2009. "Correlations in emerging market bonds: The role of local and global factors," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 67-96, June.
- A. Javier Hamann & Irina Bunda & Subir Lall, 2010. "Correlations in Emerging Market Bonds; The Role of Local and Global Factors," IMF Working Papers 10/6, International Monetary Fund.
- Engle, Robert, 2002. "Dynamic Conditional Correlation: A Simple Class of Multivariate Generalized Autoregressive Conditional Heteroskedasticity Models," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 20(3), pages 339-350, July.
- Daniel J. Fenn & Mason A. Porter & Stacy Williams & Mark McDonald & Neil F. Johnson & Nick S. Jones, 2010. "Temporal Evolution of Financial Market Correlations," Papers 1011.3225, arXiv.org, revised May 2011.
- Rosenow, Bernd & Gopikrishnan, Parameswaran & Plerou, Vasiliki & Eugene Stanley, H, 2003. "Dynamics of cross-correlations in the stock market," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 324(1), pages 241-246.
- Wilcox, Diane & Gebbie, Tim, 2004. "On the analysis of cross-correlations in South African market data," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 344(1), pages 294-298.
- Daly, J. & Crane, M. & Ruskin, H.J., 2008. "Random matrix theory filters in portfolio optimisation: A stability and risk assessment," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 387(16), pages 4248-4260.
- Engle, Robert F, 1982. "Autoregressive Conditional Heteroscedasticity with Estimates of the Variance of United Kingdom Inflation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 987-1007, July. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ememar:v:16:y:2013:i:c:p:145-169. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.