Cross-correlation dynamics in financial time series
The dynamics of the equal-time cross-correlation matrix of multivariate financial time series is explored by examination of the eigenvalue spectrum over sliding time windows. Empirical results for the S&P 500 and the Dow Jones Euro Stoxx 50 indices reveal that the dynamics of the small eigenvalues of the cross-correlation matrix, over these time windows, oppose those of the largest eigenvalue. This behaviour is shown to be independent of the size of the time window and the number of stocks examined.
Volume (Year): 388 (2009)
Issue (Month): 5 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.journals.elsevier.com/physica-a-statistical-mechpplications/|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Drożdż, S & Grümmer, F & Górski, A.Z & Ruf, F & Speth, J, 2000. "Dynamics of competition between collectivity and noise in the stock market," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 287(3), pages 440-449.
- Vasiliki Plerou & Parameswaran Gopikrishnan & Bernd Rosenow & Luis A. Nunes Amaral & H. Eugene Stanley, 1999. "Universal and non-universal properties of cross-correlations in financial time series," Papers cond-mat/9902283, arXiv.org.
- Sharifi, S. & Crane, M. & Shamaie, A. & Ruskin, H., 2004. "Random matrix theory for portfolio optimization: a stability approach," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 335(3), pages 629-643.
- Kwapień, J. & Drożdż, S. & Oświe¸cimka, P., 2006. "The bulk of the stock market correlation matrix is not pure noise," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 359(C), pages 589-606.
- Gabor Papp & Szilard Pafka & Maciej A. Nowak & Imre Kondor, 2005. "Random Matrix Filtering in Portfolio Optimization," Papers physics/0509235, arXiv.org.
- Conlon, T. & Ruskin, H.J. & Crane, M., 2007.
"Random matrix theory and fund of funds portfolio optimisation,"
Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications,
Elsevier, vol. 382(2), pages 565-576.
- Thomas Conlon & Heather J. Ruskin & Martin Crane, 2010. "Random Matrix Theory and Fund of Funds Portfolio Optimisation," Papers 1005.5021, arXiv.org.
- Malevergne, Y. & Sornette, D., 2004. "Collective origin of the coexistence of apparent random matrix theory noise and of factors in large sample correlation matrices," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 331(3), pages 660-668.
- LeBaron, Blake & Arthur, W. Brian & Palmer, Richard, 1999. "Time series properties of an artificial stock market," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 23(9-10), pages 1487-1516, September.
- Arthur, W.B. & LeBaron, B. & Palmer, R., 1997. "Time Series Properties of an Artificial Stock Market," Working papers 9725, Wisconsin Madison - Social Systems.
- Drożdż, S & Grümmer, F & Ruf, F & Speth, J, 2001. "Towards identifying the world stock market cross-correlations: DAX versus Dow Jones," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 294(1), pages 226-234.
- Conlon, T. & Crane, M. & Ruskin, H.J., 2008. "Wavelet multiscale analysis for Hedge Funds: Scaling and strategies," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 387(21), pages 5197-5204.
- Zdzislaw Burda & Jerzy Jurkiewicz, 2003. "Signal and Noise in Financial Correlation Matrices," Papers cond-mat/0312496, arXiv.org, revised Feb 2004.
- Burda, Zdzisław & Jurkiewicz, Jerzy, 2004. "Signal and noise in financial correlation matrices," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 344(1), pages 67-72.
- Wilcox, Diane & Gebbie, Tim, 2004. "On the analysis of cross-correlations in South African market data," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 344(1), pages 294-298. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:phsmap:v:388:y:2009:i:5:p:705-714. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.