On the analysis of cross-correlations in South African market data
We report briefly on an application of random matrix theory to the analysis of SA financial market data (An Analysis of cross-correlations in South African financial market data, e- print cond-mat/0402389). Correlation matrices C are constructed from 10 years of daily data for stocks listed on the Johannesburg Stock Exchange from January 1993 to December 2002. Spectral properties of C are tested against random matrix predictions. We highlight some quantitative differences which arise when treating prices as existing only when measured, as opposed to interpolating missing or illiquid trading days with a zero-order hold.
Volume (Year): 344 (2004)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.journals.elsevier.com/physica-a-statistical-mechpplications/|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Drożdż, S & Kwapień, J & Speth, J & Wójcik, M, 2002. "Identifying complexity by means of matrices," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 314(1), pages 355-361.
- Galluccio, Stefano & Bouchaud, Jean-Philippe & Potters, Marc, 1998.
"Rational decisions, random matrices and spin glasses,"
Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications,
Elsevier, vol. 259(3), pages 449-456.
- Stefano Galluccio & Jean-Philippe Bouchaud & Marc Potters, 1998. "Rational decisions, random matrices and spin glasses," Science & Finance (CFM) working paper archive 500054, Science & Finance, Capital Fund Management.
- Stefano Galluccio & Jean-Philippe Bouchaud & Marc Potters, 1998. "Rational Decisions, Random Matrices and Spin Glasses," Papers cond-mat/9801209, arXiv.org.
- V. Plerou & P. Gopikrishnan & B. Rosenow & L. A. N. Amaral & T. Guhr & H. E. Stanley, 2001. "A Random Matrix Approach to Cross-Correlations in Financial Data," Papers cond-mat/0108023, arXiv.org. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:phsmap:v:344:y:2004:i:1:p:294-298. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.