An analysis of Cross-correlations in South African Market data
We apply random matrix theory to compare correlation matrix estimators C obtained from emerging market data. The correlation matrices are constructed from 10 years of daily data for stocks listed on the Johannesburg Stock Exchange (JSE) from January 1993 to December 2002. We test the spectral properties of C against random matrix predictions and find some agreement between the distributions of eigenvalues, nearest neighbour spacings, distributions of eigenvector components and the inverse participation ratios for eigenvectors. We show that interpolating both missing data and illiquid trading days with a zero-order hold increases agreement with RMT predictions. For the more realistic estimation of correlations in an emerging market, we suggest a pairwise measured-data correlation matrix. For the data set used, this approach suggests greater temporal stability for the leading eigenvectors. An interpretation of eigenvectors in terms of trading strategies is given in lieu of classification by economic sectors.
|Date of creation:||Feb 2004|
|Date of revision:||Sep 2006|
|Publication status:||Published in Physica A 375 (2007) 584-598|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://arxiv.org/|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Szilard Pafka & Imre Kondor, 2002.
"Noisy Covariance Matrices and Portfolio Optimization II,"
cond-mat/0205119, arXiv.org, revised May 2002.
- Pafka, Szilárd & Kondor, Imre, 2003. "Noisy covariance matrices and portfolio optimization II," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 319(C), pages 487-494.
- Pafka, Szilárd & Kondor, Imre, 2004.
"Estimated correlation matrices and portfolio optimization,"
Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications,
Elsevier, vol. 343(C), pages 623-634.
- Szilard Pafka & Imre Kondor, 2003. "Estimated Correlation Matrices and Portfolio Optimization," Papers cond-mat/0305475, arXiv.org.
- Stefano Galluccio & Jean-Philippe Bouchaud & Marc Potters, 1998.
"Rational Decisions, Random Matrices and Spin Glasses,"
- Stefano Galluccio & Jean-Philippe Bouchaud & Marc Potters, 1998. "Rational decisions, random matrices and spin glasses," Science & Finance (CFM) working paper archive 500054, Science & Finance, Capital Fund Management.
- Galluccio, Stefano & Bouchaud, Jean-Philippe & Potters, Marc, 1998. "Rational decisions, random matrices and spin glasses," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 259(3), pages 449-456.
- Drożdż, S. & Kwapień, J. & Grümmer, F. & Ruf, F. & Speth, J., 2001. "Quantifying the dynamics of financial correlations," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 299(1), pages 144-153.
- S. Drozdz & J. Kwapien & F. Gruemmer & F. Ruf & J. Speth, 2001. "Quantifying dynamics of the financial correlations," Papers cond-mat/0102402, arXiv.org.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:arx:papers:cond-mat/0402389. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (arXiv administrators)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.