Serial Correlation, Periodicity and Scaling of Eigenmodes in an Emerging Market
We investigate serial correlation, periodic, aperiodic and scaling behaviour of eigenmodes, i.e. daily price fluctuation time-series derived from eigenvectors, of correlation matrices of shares listed on the Johannesburg Stock Exchange (JSE) from January 1993 to December 2002. Periodic, or calendar, components are detected by spectral analysis. We find that calendar effects are limited to eigenmodes which correspond to eigenvalues outside the Wishart range. Using a variance ratio test, we uncover serial correlation in the first eigenmodes and find slight negative serial correlation for eigenmodes within the Wishart range. Our spectral analysis and variance ratio investigations suggest that interpolating missing data or illiquid trading days with zero-order hold introduces high frequency noise and spurious serial correlation. Aperiodic and scaling behaviour of the eigenmodes are investigated by using rescaled-range (R/S) methods and detrended fluctuation analysis (DFA). We find that DFA and classic and modified R/S exponents suggest the presence of long-term memory effects in the first five eigenmodes.
|Date of creation:||Apr 2004|
|Date of revision:||Sep 2007|
|Publication status:||Published in IJTAF, 11, 7 (November 2008), pp. 739-760|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://arxiv.org/|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stefano Galluccio & Jean-Philippe Bouchaud & Marc Potters, 1998.
"Rational Decisions, Random Matrices and Spin Glasses,"
- Galluccio, Stefano & Bouchaud, Jean-Philippe & Potters, Marc, 1998. "Rational decisions, random matrices and spin glasses," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 259(3), pages 449-456.
- Stefano Galluccio & Jean-Philippe Bouchaud & Marc Potters, 1998. "Rational decisions, random matrices and spin glasses," Science & Finance (CFM) working paper archive 500054, Science & Finance, Capital Fund Management.
- Drożdż, S. & Kwapień, J. & Grümmer, F. & Ruf, F. & Speth, J., 2001. "Quantifying the dynamics of financial correlations," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 299(1), pages 144-153.
- Ross, Stephen A., 1976. "The arbitrage theory of capital asset pricing," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 341-360, December.
- S. Drozdz & J. Kwapien & F. Gruemmer & F. Ruf & J. Speth, 2001. "Quantifying dynamics of the financial correlations," Papers cond-mat/0102402, arXiv.org.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:arx:papers:cond-mat/0404416. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (arXiv administrators)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.