Dynamic instability in generic model of multi-assets markets
We introduce a generic model of a multi-asset financial market, which takes into account the impact of portfolio investment on price dynamics. This captures the fact that financial correlation determine the optimal portfolio but are affected by investment based on it. We show that, under very general conditions, such a feedback on correlations gives rise to an instability when the volume of investment exceeds a critical value. Close to the critical point the model exhibits dynamical correlations very similar to those observed in empirical data.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- J. Doyne Farmer & Shareen Joshi, 2000.
"The price dynamics of common trading strategies,"
- BAUWENS, Luc & LAURENT, Sébastien & ROMBOUTS, Jeroen VK, .
"Multivariate GARCH models: a survey,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
1847, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Giacomo Raffaelli & Matteo Marsili, 2005. "Dynamic instability in a phenomenological model of correlated assets," Papers physics/0508159, arXiv.org, revised Apr 2006.
- Carl Chiarella & Xue-Zhong He & Cars Hommes, 2004.
"A Dynamic Analysis of Moving Average Rules,"
Research Paper Series
133, Quantitative Finance Research Centre, University of Technology, Sydney.
- Cars Hommes & Carl Chiarella & Xue-Zhong He, 2004. "A Dynamical Analysis of Moving Average Rules," Computing in Economics and Finance 2004 238, Society for Computational Economics.
- Chiarella, C. & He, X.-Z. & Hommes, C.H., 2004. "A Dynamic Analysis of Moving Average Rules," CeNDEF Working Papers 04-14, Universiteit van Amsterdam, Center for Nonlinear Dynamics in Economics and Finance.
- Carl Chiarella & Tony He & Cars H. Hommes, 2005. "A Dynamic Analysis of Moving Average Rules," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 05-057/1, Tinbergen Institute.
- Christian Borghesi & Matteo Marsili & Salvatore Miccich\`e, 2007. "Emergence of time-horizon invariant correlation structure in financial returns by subtraction of the market mode," Papers physics/0702106, arXiv.org.
- Drożdż, S. & Kwapień, J. & Grümmer, F. & Ruf, F. & Speth, J., 2001. "Quantifying the dynamics of financial correlations," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 299(1), pages 144-153.
- Peter Bank & Dietmar Baum, 2004. "Hedging and Portfolio Optimization in Financial Markets with a Large Trader," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 14(1), pages 1-18.
- Robert S. Pindyck & Julio J. Rotemberg, 1993. "The Comovement of Stock Prices," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 108(4), pages 1073-1104.
- Carl Chiarella & Roberto Dieci & Xue-Zhong He, 2005.
"Heterogeneous Expectations and Speculative Behaviour in a Dynamic Multi-Asset Framework,"
Research Paper Series
166, Quantitative Finance Research Centre, University of Technology, Sydney.
- Chiarella, Carl & Dieci, Roberto & He, Xue-Zhong, 2007. "Heterogeneous expectations and speculative behavior in a dynamic multi-asset framework," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 62(3), pages 408-427, March.
- S. Drozdz & J. Kwapien & F. Gruemmer & F. Ruf & J. Speth, 2001. "Quantifying dynamics of the financial correlations," Papers cond-mat/0102402, arXiv.org.
- Alessio Caldarera & Celso Brunetti, 2005.
"Asset Prices and Asset Correlations in Illiquid Markets,"
2005 Meeting Papers
288, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Celso Brunetti & Alessio Caldarera, 2006. "Asset Prices and asset Correlations in Illiquid Markets," Computing in Economics and Finance 2006 331, Society for Computational Economics.
- Kirchler, Michael & Huber, Jurgen, 2007. "Fat tails and volatility clustering in experimental asset markets," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 31(6), pages 1844-1874, June.
- Imre Kondor & Szilard Pafka & Gabor Nagy, 2006.
"Noise sensitivity of portfolio selection under various risk measures,"
- Kondor, Imre & Pafka, Szilard & Nagy, Gabor, 2007. "Noise sensitivity of portfolio selection under various risk measures," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(5), pages 1545-1573, May.
- Engle, Robert, 2002. "Dynamic Conditional Correlation: A Simple Class of Multivariate Generalized Autoregressive Conditional Heteroskedasticity Models," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 20(3), pages 339-50, July.
- Anufriev, M. & Hommes, C.H., 2007. "Evolution of Market Heuristics," CeNDEF Working Papers 07-06, Universiteit van Amsterdam, Center for Nonlinear Dynamics in Economics and Finance.
- Marc Potters & Jean-Philippe Bouchaud & Laurent Laloux, 2005.
"Financial Applications of Random Matrix Theory: Old Laces and New Pieces,"
Science & Finance (CFM) working paper archive
500058, Science & Finance, Capital Fund Management.
- M. Potters & J. P. Bouchaud & L. Laloux, 2005. "Financial Applications of Random Matrix Theory: Old Laces and New Pieces," Papers physics/0507111, arXiv.org.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:dyncon:v:33:y:2009:i:5:p:1170-1181. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.