Random matrix theory filters in portfolio optimisation: A stability and risk assessment
Random matrix theory (RMT) filters, applied to covariance matrices of financial returns, have recently been shown to offer improvements to the optimisation of stock portfolios. This paper studies the effect of three RMT filters on the realised portfolio risk, and on the stability of the filtered covariance matrix, using bootstrap analysis and out-of-sample testing.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 387 (2008)
Issue (Month): 16 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.journals.elsevier.com/physica-a-statistical-mechpplications/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Plerou, V & Gopikrishnan, P & Rosenow, B & Amaral, L.A.N & Stanley, H.E, 2000. "A random matrix theory approach to financial cross-correlations," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 287(3), pages 374-382.
- Sharifi, S. & Crane, M. & Shamaie, A. & Ruskin, H., 2004. "Random matrix theory for portfolio optimization: a stability approach," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 335(3), pages 629-643.
- Vasiliki Plerou & Parameswaran Gopikrishnan & Bernd Rosenow & Luis A. Nunes Amaral & H. Eugene Stanley, 1999. "Universal and non-universal properties of cross-correlations in financial time series," Papers cond-mat/9902283, arXiv.org.
- Plerou, Vasiliki & Gopikrishnan, Parameswaran & Rosenow, Bernd & Amaral, Luis A.N. & Stanley, H.Eugene, 2000. "Econophysics: financial time series from a statistical physics point of view," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 279(1), pages 443-456.
- Plerou, V. & Gopikrishnan, P. & Rosenow, B. & Amaral, L.A.N. & Stanley, H.E., 2001. "Collective behavior of stock price movements—a random matrix theory approach," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 299(1), pages 175-180.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:phsmap:v:387:y:2008:i:16:p:4248-4260. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.