Contract design and supply chain coordination in the electricity industry
In this article we propose a model of the supply chain in electricity markets with multiple generators and retailers and considering several market structures. We analyze how market design interacts with the different types of contract and market structure to affect the coordination between the different firms and the performance of the supply chain as a whole. We compare the implications on supply chain coordination and on the players’ profitability of two different market structures: a pool based market vs. bilateral contracts, taking into consideration the relationship between futures and spot markets. Furthermore, we analyze the use of contracts for differences and two-part-tariffs as tools for supply chain coordination. We have concluded that there are multiple equilibria in the supply chain contracts and structure and that the two-part tariff is the best contract to reduce double marginalization and increase efficiency in the management of the supply chain.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 227 (2013)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/eor|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Julia Miyaoka & Warren H. Hausman, 2008. "How Improved Forecasts Can Degrade Decentralized Supply Chains," Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, INFORMS, vol. 10(3), pages 547-562, July.
- Paul Joskow & Edward Kahn, 2001.
"A Quantitative Analysis of Pricing Behavior in California's Wholesale Electricity Market During Summer 2000,"
NBER Working Papers
8157, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Paul L. Joskow & Edward Kohn, 2002. "A Quantitative Analysis of Pricing Behavior in California's Wholesale Electricity Market During Summer 2000," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 4), pages 1-35.
- Joskow, P. & Edward Kahn, 2002. "A Quantitative Analysis of Pricing Behavior In California’s Wholesale Electricity Market During Summer 2000," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 0211, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Ali Hortaçsu & Steven L. Puller, 2008. "Understanding strategic bidding in multi-unit auctions: a case study of the Texas electricity spot market," RAND Journal of Economics, RAND Corporation, vol. 39(1), pages 86-114.
- Le Coq, Chloé & Orzen, Henrik, 2002.
"Do Forward Markets Enhance Competition? Experimental Evidence,"
SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance
506, Stockholm School of Economics, revised 01 Oct 2004.
- Le Coq, Chloe & Orzen, Henrik, 2006. "Do forward markets enhance competition?: Experimental evidence," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 61(3), pages 415-431, November.
- Allaz, Blaise, 1992. "Oligopoly, uncertainty and strategic forward transactions," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 297-308, June.
- Fernando Bernstein & Awi Federgruen, 2007. "Coordination Mechanisms for Supply Chains Under Price and Service Competition," Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, INFORMS, vol. 9(3), pages 242-262, January.
- Joseph J. Spengler, 1950. "Vertical Integration and Antitrust Policy," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 58, pages 347.
- Greenhut, M L & Ohta, H, 1979. "Vertical Integration of Successive Oligopolists," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 69(1), pages 137-41, March.
- Serguei Netessine & Fuqiang Zhang, 2005. "Positive vs. Negative Externalities in Inventory Management: Implications for Supply Chain Design," Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, INFORMS, vol. 7(1), pages 58-73, January.
- Lau, Amy Hing Ling & Lau, Hon-Shiang & Wang, Jian-Cai, 2008. "How a dominant retailer might design a purchase contract for a newsvendor-type product with price-sensitive demand," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 190(2), pages 443-458, October.
- Susan Cohen Kulp & Hau L. Lee & Elie Ofek, 2004. "Manufacturer Benefits from Information Integration with Retail Customers," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 50(4), pages 431-444, April.
- Anderson, Edward J. & Hu, Xinmin, 2008. "Forward contracts and market power in an electricity market," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 26(3), pages 679-694, May.
- Green, Richard J & Newbery, David M, 1992.
"Competition in the British Electricity Spot Market,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 100(5), pages 929-53, October.
- Green, Richard & Newbery, David M G, 1991. "Competition in the British Electricity Spot Market," CEPR Discussion Papers 557, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Anantaram Balakrishnan & Joseph Geunes & Michael S. Pangburn, 2004. "Coordinating Supply Chains by Controlling Upstream Variability Propagation," Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, INFORMS, vol. 6(2), pages 163-183, July.
- Borenstein, Severin & Bushnell, James & Kahn, Edward & Stoft, Steven, 1995. "Market power in California electricity markets," Utilities Policy, Elsevier, vol. 5(3-4), pages 219-236.
- Chen, Haoya & Chen, Jian & Chen, Youhua (Frank), 2006. "A coordination mechanism for a supply chain with demand information updating," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 103(1), pages 347-361, September.
- Fuqiang Zhang, 2006. "Competition, Cooperation, and Information Sharing in a Two-Echelon Assembly System," Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, INFORMS, vol. 8(3), pages 273-291, March.
- Ferrer, Juan-Carlos & Mora, Hugo & Olivares, Francisco, 2010. "On pricing of multiple bundles of products and services," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 206(1), pages 197-208, October.
- Pranab Majumder & Ashok Srinivasan, 2008. "Leadership and Competition in Network Supply Chains," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 54(6), pages 1189-1204, June.
- James Bushnell, 2007.
"Oligopoly equilibria in electricity contract markets,"
Journal of Regulatory Economics,
Springer, vol. 32(3), pages 225-245, December.
- Bushnell, James, 2007. "Oligopoly Equilibria in Electricity Contract Markets," Staff General Research Papers Archive 13135, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Gülpınar, N. & Oliveira, F.S., 2012. "Robust trading in spot and forward oligopolistic markets," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 138(1), pages 35-45.
- Manfred Neumann & Uli Fell & Richard Reichel*, 2005. "Successive Oligopolies, Vertical Downstream Integration and Foreclosure," Journal of Industry, Competition and Trade, Springer, vol. 5(1), pages 59-77, January.
- Refik Güllü & Geert-Jan van Houtum & F. Zeynep Sargut & Nesim Erkip, 2005. "Analysis of a Decentralized Supply Chain Under Partial Cooperation," Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, INFORMS, vol. 7(3), pages 229-247, March.
- Harish Krishnan & Roman Kapuscinski & David A. Butz, 2004. "Coordinating Contracts for Decentralized Supply Chains with Retailer Promotional Effort," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 50(1), pages 48-63, January.
- Mahenc, P. & Salanie, F., 2004. "Softening competition through forward trading," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 116(2), pages 282-293, June.
- Noel Watson & Yu-Sheng Zheng, 2005. "Decentralized Serial Supply Chains Subject to Order Delays and Information Distortion: Exploiting Real-Time Sales Data," Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, INFORMS, vol. 7(2), pages 152-168, May.
- Herguera, Inigo, 2000. "Bilateral contracts and the spot market for electricity: some observations on the British and the NordPool experiences," Utilities Policy, Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 73-80, June.
- Schlereth, Christian & Stepanchuk, Tanja & Skiera, Bernd, 2010. "Optimization and analysis of the profitability of tariff structures with two-part tariffs," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 206(3), pages 691-701, November.
- Yu Xia & Bintong Chen & Panos Kouvelis, 2008. "Market-Based Supply Chain Coordination by Matching Suppliers' Cost Structures with Buyers' Order Profiles," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 54(11), pages 1861-1875, November.
- Lantz, Björn, 2009. "The double marginalization problem of transfer pricing: Theory and experiment," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 196(2), pages 434-439, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ejores:v:227:y:2013:i:3:p:527-537. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.