Testing for integration using evolving trend and seasonals models: A Bayesian approach
In this paper, we make use of state space models to investigate the presence of stochastic trends in economic time series. A model is specified where such a trend can enter either in the autoregressive representation or in a separate state equation. Tests based on the former are analogous to Dickey-Fuller tests of unit roots, while the latter are analogous to KPSS tests of trend-stationarity. We use Bayesian methods to survey the properties of the likelihood function in such models and to calculate posterior odds ratios comparing models with and without stochastic trends. We extend these ideas to the problem of testing for integration at seasonal frequencies and show how our techniques can be used to carry out Bayesian variants of either the HEGY or Canova-Hansen test. Stochastic integration rules, based on Markov Chain Monte Carlo, as well as deterministic integration rules are used. Strengths and weaknesses of each approach are indicated.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Koop, Gary & Potter, Simon M, 1999.
"Dynamic Asymmetries in U.S. Unemployment,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 17(3), pages 298-312, July.
- Schotman, Peter C., 1994. "Priors For The Ar(1) Model: Parameterization Issues and Time Series Considerations," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 10(3-4), pages 579-595, August.
- Hylleberg, S. & Engle, R.F. & Granger, C.W.J. & Yoo, B.S., 1988.
"Seasonal, Integration And Cointegration,"
6-88-2, Pennsylvania State - Department of Economics.
- Hannan, E J & Terrell, R D & Tuckwell, N E, 1970. "The Seasonal Adjustment of Economic Time Series," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 11(1), pages 24-52, February.
- repec:dgr:uvatin:19990078 is not listed on IDEAS
- Schotman, Peter & van Dijk, Herman K., 1991. "A Bayesian analysis of the unit root in real exchange rates," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 49(1-2), pages 195-238.
- Shephard, Neil, 1993. "Distribution of the ML Estimator of an MA(1) and a local level model," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 9(03), pages 377-401, June.
- Charles S. Bos & Ronald J. Mahieu & Herman K. Van Dijk, 2000.
"Daily exchange rate behaviour and hedging of currency risk,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 15(6), pages 671-696.
- Charles S. Bos & Ronald J. Mahieu & Herman K. van Dijk, 2000. "Daily Exchange Rate Behaviour and Hedging of Currency Risk," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 0504, Econometric Society.
- Bos, C.S. & Mahieu, R.J. & van Dijk, H.K., 1999. "Daily exchange rate behaviour and hedging of currency risk," Econometric Institute Research Papers EI 9936/A, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Erasmus School of Economics (ESE), Econometric Institute.
- Bos, C.S. & Mahieu, R.J. & van Dijk, H.K., 2000. "Daily exchange rate behaviour and hedging of currency risk," Econometric Institute Research Papers EI 2000-25/A, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Erasmus School of Economics (ESE), Econometric Institute.
- Fernandez, Carmen & Osiewalski, Jacek & Steel, Mark F. J., 1997. "On the use of panel data in stochastic frontier models with improper priors," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 79(1), pages 169-193, July.
- Kim, Sangjoon & Shephard, Neil & Chib, Siddhartha, 1998.
"Stochastic Volatility: Likelihood Inference and Comparison with ARCH Models,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 65(3), pages 361-93, July.
- Tom Doan, . "KSCPOSTDRAW: RATS procedure to draw from posterior density needed in stochastic volatility model," Statistical Software Components RTS00101, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS programs to replicate Jacquier, Polson, Rossi (1994) stochastic volatility," Statistical Software Components RTZ00105, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Sangjoon Kim & Neil Shephard & Siddhartha Chib, 1996. "Stochastic Volatility: Likelihood Inference And Comparison With Arch Models," Econometrics 9610002, EconWPA.
- Sangjoon Kim, Neil Shephard & Siddhartha Chib, . "Stochastic volatility: likelihood inference and comparison with ARCH models," Economics Papers W26, revised version of W, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Sangjoon Kim & Neil Shephard, 1994. "Stochastic volatility: likelihood inference and comparison with ARCH models," Economics Papers 3., Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Stock, James H & Watson, Mark W, 1988. "Variable Trends in Economic Time Series," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 2(3), pages 147-74, Summer.
- Canova, Fabio & Hansen, Bruce E, 1995. "Are Seasonal Patterns Constant over Time? A Test for Seasonal Stability," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 13(3), pages 237-52, July.
- Leybourne, S J & McCabe, B P M, 1994. "A Consistent Test for a Unit Root," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 12(2), pages 157-66, April.
- DeJong, David N & Whiteman, Charles H, 1991. "The Temporal Stability of Dividends and Stock Prices: Evidence from the Likelihood Function," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 81(3), pages 600-617, June.
- Hylleberg, S. & Pagan, A. R., 1997.
"Seasonal integration and the evolving seasonals model,"
International Journal of Forecasting,
Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 329-340, September.
- Hylleberg, S. & Pagan, A.R., 1995. "Seasonal Integration and the Evolving Seasonals Model," Papers 281, Australian National University - Department of Economics.
- Min, Chung-ki & Zellner, Arnold, 1993.
"Bayesian and non-Bayesian methods for combining models and forecasts with applications to forecasting international growth rates,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 56(1-2), pages 89-118, March.
- Min, C.K. & Zellner, A., 1992. ""Bayesian and Non-Bayesian Methods for Combining Models and Forecasts with Applications to Forecasting International Growth Rates"," Papers 90-92-23, California Irvine - School of Social Sciences.
- Peter C. Schotman & Herman K. van Dijk, 1991.
"On Bayesian routes to unit roots,"
Discussion Paper / Institute for Empirical Macroeconomics
43, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Peter C.B. Phillips, 1990.
"To Criticize the Critics: An Objective Bayesian Analysis of Stochastic Trends,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
950, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Phillips, P C B, 1991. "To Criticize the Critics: An Objective Bayesian Analysis of Stochastic Trends," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 6(4), pages 333-64, Oct.-Dec..
- Kato, Hiroko & Naniwa, Sadao & Ishiguro, Makio, 1996. "A bayesian multivariate nonstationary time series model for estimating mutual relationships among variables," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 75(1), pages 147-161, November.
- Chib, Siddhartha & Greenberg, Edward, 1994. "Bayes inference in regression models with ARMA (p, q) errors," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 64(1-2), pages 183-206.
- Shively, Thomas S. & Kohn, Robert, 1997. "A Bayesian approach to model selection in stochastic coefficient regression models and structural time series models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 76(1-2), pages 39-52.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:econom:v:97:y:2000:i:2:p:261-291. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.