Time-varying intercepts and equilibrium analysis: an extension of the dynamic almost ideal demand model
Demographic effects and user costs in demand systems have usually been modelled explicitly. A more robust approach is a state space formulation of the demand system, where time-varying intercepts account for the effects of unobservable variables. The author embeds such a system in a vector autoregressive distributed lag model, with a Bayesian hierarchical prior. The model is estimated by a Markov chain Monte Carlo method on samples involving quarterly US and UK data. In the US case, the results are compared with a previously published cointegration analysis of the same data. Copyright © 2002 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Volume (Year): 18 (2003)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.interscience.wiley.com/jpages/0883-7252/|
|Order Information:|| Web: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/jcatalog/subscribe.jsp?issn=0883-7252 Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gary Koop & Herman K. van Dijk, 1999.
"Testing for Integration using Evolving Trend and Seasonals Models: A Bayesian Approach,"
Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers
99-072/4, Tinbergen Institute.
- Koop, Gary & Dijk, Herman K. Van, 2000. "Testing for integration using evolving trend and seasonals models: A Bayesian approach," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 97(2), pages 261-291, August.
- Koop, G. & van Dijk, H.K., 1999. "Testing for integration using evolving trend and seasonal models: A Bayesian approach," Econometric Institute Research Papers EI 9934/A, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Erasmus School of Economics (ESE), Econometric Institute.
- Gary Koop & Herman K. van Dijk & Henk Hoek, 1997. "Testing for Integration using Evolving Trend and Seasonals Models: A Bayesian Approach," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 97-078/4, Tinbergen Institute.
- Browning, Martin & Deaton, Angus & Irish, Margaret, 1985. "A Profitable Approach to Labor Supply and Commodity Demands over the Life-Cycle," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 53(3), pages 503-43, May.
- Christopher A. Sims & Harald Uhlig, 1988.
"Understanding unit rooters: a helicopter tour,"
Discussion Paper / Institute for Empirical Macroeconomics
4, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Spinnewyn, Frans, 1981. "Rational habit formation," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 91-109.
- Lau, Lawrence J., 1978. "A note on the compatibility of a system of difference equations and a time-independent linear equation," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 1(3), pages 243-247.
- Ng, S., 1995.
"Testing for Homogeneity in Demand Systems when the Regressors Are Non-Stationary,"
Cahiers de recherche
9516, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Ng, Serena, 1995. "Testing for Homogeneity in Demand Systems When the Regressors Are Nonstationary," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 10(2), pages 147-63, April-Jun.
- Ng, S., 1995. "Testing for Homogeneity in Demand Systems when the Regressors Are Non-Stationary," Cahiers de recherche 9516, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Deschamps, Philippe J., 2000. "Exact small-sample inference in stationary, fully regular, dynamic demand models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 97(1), pages 51-91, July.
- Browning, Martin, 1991. "A Simple Nonadditive Preference Structure for Models of Household Behavior over Time," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 99(3), pages 607-37, June.
- James Banks & Richard Blundell & Arthur Lewbel, 1997. "Quadratic Engel Curves And Consumer Demand," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 79(4), pages 527-539, November.
- Deschamps, Philippe J., 1998.
"Full maximum likelihood estimation of dynamic demand models,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 82(2), pages 335-359, February.
- Deschamps, P. J., . "Full maximum likelihood estimation of dynamic demand models," CORE Discussion Papers RP 1291, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Anderson, Gordon & Blundell, Richard, 1984. "Consumer Non-Durables in the U.K. A Dynamic Demand System," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 94(376a), pages 35-44, Supplemen.
- Deaton, Angus S & Muellbauer, John, 1980. "An Almost Ideal Demand System," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 70(3), pages 312-26, June.
- Mizon, Grayham E., 1995. "A simple message for autocorrelation correctors: Don't," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 69(1), pages 267-288, September.
- Chib, Siddhartha & Greenberg, Edward, 1995. "Hierarchical analysis of SUR models with extensions to correlated serial errors and time-varying parameter models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 68(2), pages 339-360, August.
- Anderson, G J & Blundell, R W, 1982. "Estimation and Hypothesis Testing in Dynamic Singular Equation Systems," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(6), pages 1559-71, November.
- Davidson, James E H, et al, 1978. "Econometric Modelling of the Aggregate Time-Series Relationship between Consumers' Expenditure and Income in the United Kingdom," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 88(352), pages 661-92, December.
- Lewbel, Arthur, 1991. "The Rank of Demand Systems: Theory and Nonparametric Estimation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(3), pages 711-30, May.
- repec:oup:restud:v:50:y:1983:i:3:p:397-410 is not listed on IDEAS
- Pashardes, Panos, 1986. "Myopic and Forward Looking Behavior in a Dynamic Demand System," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 27(2), pages 387-97, June.
- Deaton,Angus & Muellbauer,John, 1980. "Economics and Consumer Behavior," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521296762, 1.
- Berndt, Ernst R & Savin, N Eugene, 1975. "Estimation and Hypothesis Testing in Singular Equation Systems with Autoregressive Disturbances," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 43(5-6), pages 937-57, Sept.-Nov.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:jae:japmet:v:18:y:2003:i:2:p:209-236. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.