Bayesian stochastic model specification search for seasonal and calendar effects
We apply a recent methodology, Bayesian stochastic model specification search (SMSS), for the selection of the unobserved components (level, slope, seasonal cycles, trading days effects) that are stochastically evolving over time. SMSS hinges on two basic ingredients: the non-centered representation of the unobserved components and the reparameterization of the hyperparameters representing standard deviations as regression parameters with unrestricted support. The choice of the prior and the conditional independence structure of the model enable the definition of a very efficient MCMC estimation strategy based on Gibbs sampling. We illustrate that the methodology can be quite successfully applied to discriminate between stochastic and deterministic trends, fixed and evolutive seasonal and trading day effects.
|Date of creation:||2010|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gary Koop & Herman K. van Dijk & Henk Hoek, 1997.
"Testing for Integration using Evolving Trend and Seasonals Models: A Bayesian Approach,"
Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers
97-078/4, Tinbergen Institute.
- Koop, Gary & Dijk, Herman K. Van, 2000. "Testing for integration using evolving trend and seasonals models: A Bayesian approach," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 97(2), pages 261-291, August.
- Koop, G. & van Dijk, H.K., 1999. "Testing for integration using evolving trend and seasonal models: A Bayesian approach," Econometric Institute Research Papers EI 9934/A, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Erasmus School of Economics (ESE), Econometric Institute.
- Gary Koop & Herman K. van Dijk, 1999. "Testing for Integration using Evolving Trend and Seasonals Models: A Bayesian Approach," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 99-072/4, Tinbergen Institute.
- Arnold Zellner, 1979.
"Seasonal Analysis of Economic Time Series,"
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number zell79-1.
- Chris M Strickland & Gael Martin & Catherine S Forbes, 2006.
"Parameterisation and Efficient MCMC Estimation of Non-Gaussian State Space Models,"
Monash Econometrics and Business Statistics Working Papers
22/06, Monash University, Department of Econometrics and Business Statistics.
- Strickland, Chris M. & Martin, Gael M. & Forbes, Catherine S., 2008. "Parameterisation and efficient MCMC estimation of non-Gaussian state space models," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 52(6), pages 2911-2930, February.
- Frühwirth-Schnatter, Sylvia & Wagner, Helga, 2010. "Stochastic model specification search for Gaussian and partial non-Gaussian state space models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 154(1), pages 85-100, January.
- Ghysels,Eric & Osborn,Denise R., 2001.
"The Econometric Analysis of Seasonal Time Series,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521565882, December.
- Hylleberg, S. & Pagan, A.R., 1995.
"Seasonal Integration and the Evolving Seasonals Model,"
281, Australian National University - Department of Economics.
- Hylleberg, S. & Pagan, A. R., 1997. "Seasonal integration and the evolving seasonals model," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 329-340, September.
- Hannan, E J & Terrell, R D & Tuckwell, N E, 1970. "The Seasonal Adjustment of Economic Time Series," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 11(1), pages 24-52, February.
- Dagum, Estela Bee & Quenneville, Benoit, 1993. "Dynamic linear models for time series components," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 55(1-2), pages 333-351.
- J. Durbin, 2002. "A simple and efficient simulation smoother for state space time series analysis," Biometrika, Biometrika Trust, vol. 89(3), pages 603-616, August.
- Busetti, Fabio & Harvey, Andrew, 2003. "Seasonality Tests," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 21(3), pages 420-436, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:27305. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.